Medal Naming Help Please

Discussion in 'History' started by guzzijon, Nov 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all. My father was RN 1952-61 and served during the Suez crisis in 1956 earning him a Naval GSM with Near East clasp. He flogged this when I was a kid- probably to put some scoff on the table (times were hard). It's the least I can do to buy him a replacement having, unsurprisingly, had no luck in tracking down the original.
    Prices seem much if a muchness and I'm probably buying it from Worcester Medal Services Worcestershire Medal Service or Bigbury Mint - any further suggestions would be welcome.
    However the crux of my question concerns the order of naming, I've got his name, rank and number, just need the order to put them in (including full stops) and whether it would include the name of his ship or just 'RN'.
    I'd like to get it as near as would have been issued as possible. All suggestions gratefully received.

2. Give us his name rank and number when he received the medal. The the ship he was serving on during the suez.
    I will have my spotter mate string it all together.

Also. All of the medal shops you go to will laser engrave the medal. Originals were impressed. So it won't look like the original. Originals were also 725 silver.

3. I appreciate your reply but I'd rather not give his details out.

4. PM Romany with the details, simples.

5. Mess dress in Bournemouth are reasonable price-wise.

PayBob Squarepants - CDM, CDA, VD scar and bar. (Cadbury's Daily Milk, Caught Diseases Ashore)

6. Either that or find one for sale and compare his details to the ones on the medal and make your own set up.

7. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

The Naval General Service Medal was awarded to the participants in the Suez Crisis in 2008. There was already a GSM with the Near East clasp awarded for operations during the early 50's which was denied the Suez veterans for all the years between 1956 and 2008.
    Could be that your Dad was awarded the original medal if he was in the Med during the qualifying period. I was 75 when my medal eventually came through the post!
    I hope you get a replacement for your Dad. Good luck.