Medal Identification

Discussion in 'History' started by soleil, Nov 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would be very grateful if any Rum Rationer with a spare minute this evening could have a quick look at these and tell me what they can see.

Thanks

Sol

View attachment 7839

Medals2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. Top photo left to right:

1939-45 Star, Atlantic Star, Pacific Star, Defence medal, 1939 - 45 War medal, Korea medal, UN Korea, Long Service Good Conduct.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bottom photo left to right:

Atlantic star, Africa star, France and Germany star, Africa star again and 1939 - 45 star.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Nice group. Are they yours ;) old sea dog

• Like Like x 1
  5. They need a bloody good clean :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

6. I agree. Te stars look like they are corroding. Clean them with care. I use WD40 and an old toothbrush.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I maybe wrong, but this particular medal group, if worn by one person, may bear scrutiny as I think (emphasis: "think") there are limitations on the amount of WW2 stars that can be worn.

If I'm wrong (I haven't checked), I'm wrong.

Top group, looks "right"

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  8. Top group RN, bottom group Army I would think. Could be a random collection due to two the same though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, agreed.
    The Army group looks plain scruffy. It's just not bally good enough.=D

Could be Royal, though.

10. Would be interested to hear the background to these Sol?

11. The stars should all be un-named. The LS&GC should have a name number and ship on the rim. Would be interesting to see the details.

12. I wouldn't have thought that two Africa Stars would be worn by one person. As to the number of stars allowed, I think you might be correct about the number, though I'm not sure what the number is. My old man had five stars.

13. I have to agree with the number of stars worn ...
    "Eight different campaign stars were issued for the Second World War. Apart from some Commonwealth issues, these were issued unnamed. It was decided that the maximum number of stars that could be earned by any one person was five, while those who qualified for more received a clasp to be sewn on to the ribbon of the appropriate star.
    Only one clasp per ribbon was permitted which was the first to be earned after qualifying for the star.
    The stars are listed with the associated clasps in brackets:

1. 1939-45 (Battle of Britain)
    2. Atlantic (Air Crew Europe or France and Germany)
    3. Air Crew Europe (Atlantic or France and Germany)
    4. Africa (North Africa 1942-43, 8th Army or 1st Army)
    5. Pacific (Burma)
    6. Burma (Pacific)
    7. Italy (None)
    8. France and Germany (Atlantic)
    The ribbons are believed to have been designed by King George VI personally and have symbolic significance in each case. When ribbons alone are worn, the clasp is denoted by a silver rosette, the Battle of Britain by represented by a gilt rosette"

Source: Second World War Stars and medals

My father in law had the 39-45 star, africa star, italy star (with a mention in dipatches) that I can remember as there are another two in the collection .. defence medal will be one but I cant remember what the other one is.

So if Monty has identified the stop string correctly (and I do not doubt it) the poresence of the Atlantic Star would indicate that its CRAB! (Unless FAA got the Atliantic medal too????)

MG

14. Old man's were Italy Star, Africa and clasp, Burma, Atlantic and 1939-45. Medals were LS&GC, Korea, UN Korea, Near East and War Medal.

Although he was FAA, I don't think the Atlantic Star was exclusive to Aircrew. Aircrew Europe etc, was the clasp allowed on the Atlantic Star.

15. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

MG, I imagine the other medal you can't recall would be the 39-45 War Medal.

16. My Grandad was MN during the war and has the Burma, Atlantic, Italy and 39-45 stars plus the War Medal. I don't see why the Atlantic Star would make it a crab collection as the crab LS&GC has a different ribbon, the one in Sol's photo is a pusser's LS&GC.

17. They are currently in the possession of someone who has a connection to the Armed Forces and he would like them to be given to either the person to whom they were awarded or to his family.

18. I think the FAA did too.

19. I have been told that the inscription gives the gentleman's name and C/JX156373 LDG.SMN R.N.

20. I think the C/JX prefix puts him down as a Chatham rating, ready to be corrected on that though.