Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medal Identification

soleil

War Hero
I would be very grateful if any Rum Rationer with a spare minute this evening could have a quick look at these and tell me what they can see.

Thanks

Sol

View attachment 7839

Medals2.jpg

Attachments

• Medals.jpg
    Medals.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
G

guestm

Top photo left to right:

1939-45 Star, Atlantic Star, Pacific Star, Defence medal, 1939 - 45 War medal, Korea medal, UN Korea, Long Service Good Conduct.

G

guestm

Bottom photo left to right:

Atlantic star, Africa star, France and Germany star, Africa star again and 1939 - 45 star.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Bottom photo left to right:

Atlantic star, Africa star, France and Germany star, Africa star again and 1939 - 45 star.
I maybe wrong, but this particular medal group, if worn by one person, may bear scrutiny as I think (emphasis: "think") there are limitations on the amount of WW2 stars that can be worn.

If I'm wrong (I haven't checked), I'm wrong.

Top group, looks "right"

Last edited:
G

guestm

I maybe wrong, but this particular medal group, if worn by one person, may bear scrutiny as I think (emphasis: "think") there are limitations on the amount of WW2 stars that can be worn.

Top group, looks "right"

Top group RN, bottom group Army I would think. Could be a random collection due to two the same though.

RomanyRanner

Lantern Swinger
The stars should all be un-named. The LS&GC should have a name number and ship on the rim. Would be interesting to see the details.

Taffd

Lantern Swinger

Top group, looks "right"

I wouldn't have thought that two Africa Stars would be worn by one person. As to the number of stars allowed, I think you might be correct about the number, though I'm not sure what the number is. My old man had five stars.

MG Maniac

War Hero
I wouldn't have thought that two Africa Stars would be worn by one person. As to the number of stars allowed, I think you might be correct about the number, though I'm not sure what the number is. My old man had five stars.

I have to agree with the number of stars worn ...
"Eight different campaign stars were issued for the Second World War. Apart from some Commonwealth issues, these were issued unnamed. It was decided that the maximum number of stars that could be earned by any one person was five, while those who qualified for more received a clasp to be sewn on to the ribbon of the appropriate star.
Only one clasp per ribbon was permitted which was the first to be earned after qualifying for the star.
The stars are listed with the associated clasps in brackets:

1. 1939-45 (Battle of Britain)
  2. Atlantic (Air Crew Europe or France and Germany)
  3. Air Crew Europe (Atlantic or France and Germany)
  4. Africa (North Africa 1942-43, 8th Army or 1st Army)
  5. Pacific (Burma)
  6. Burma (Pacific)
  7. Italy (None)
  8. France and Germany (Atlantic)
The ribbons are believed to have been designed by King George VI personally and have symbolic significance in each case. When ribbons alone are worn, the clasp is denoted by a silver rosette, the Battle of Britain by represented by a gilt rosette"

Source: Second World War Stars and medals

My father in law had the 39-45 star, africa star, italy star (with a mention in dipatches) that I can remember as there are another two in the collection .. defence medal will be one but I cant remember what the other one is.

So if Monty has identified the stop string correctly (and I do not doubt it) the poresence of the Atlantic Star would indicate that its CRAB! (Unless FAA got the Atliantic medal too????)

MG

Taffd

Lantern Swinger
Old man's were Italy Star, Africa and clasp, Burma, Atlantic and 1939-45. Medals were LS&GC, Korea, UN Korea, Near East and War Medal.

Although he was FAA, I don't think the Atlantic Star was exclusive to Aircrew. Aircrew Europe etc, was the clasp allowed on the Atlantic Star.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
My Grandad was MN during the war and has the Burma, Atlantic, Italy and 39-45 stars plus the War Medal. I don't see why the Atlantic Star would make it a crab collection as the crab LS&GC has a different ribbon, the one in Sol's photo is a pusser's LS&GC.

G

guestm

So if Monty has identified the stop string correctly (and I do not doubt it) the poresence of the Atlantic Star would indicate that its CRAB! (Unless FAA got the Atliantic medal too????)

MG

I think the FAA did too.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I think the C/JX prefix puts him down as a Chatham rating, ready to be corrected on that though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS MDP Superintendent Trevor Clark awarded Queen’s Police Medal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK military dog to receive PDSA Dickin Medal after tackling Al Qaeda insurgents MoD News 0
soleil FB: The Royal Family - Presentation Of The Queen's Gallantry Medal To LS David Groves The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Gareth Wilson awarded Queen's Police Medal in New Year Honours MoD News 0
soleil BBC: "Falklands Veteran 'Forced Out Over Sexuality' Will Get Medal Back" History 31
cheddarman Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal Submariners 52
D OP shader Medal No Clasp The Quarterdeck 1
MoD_RSS News story: New medal awarded to recognise the changing character of warfare MoD News 0
B Medal Query The Quarterdeck 4
MoD_RSS News story: New medal unveiled to recognise the fight against Daesh MoD News 0
northern-matelot Medal ribbon embellishments History 7
SONAR-BENDER Falklands medal found RFA 14
John25 WW1 Medal Question History 6
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary awards new medal to 46 troops. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary supports Ebola medal MoD News 0
shipscat Medal for Op KIPION? Current Affairs 9
MoD_RSS News story: Sir John Homes independent medal review 2014 update MoD News 1
D Trying to prove a medal History 6
soleil "Reservist Awarded Prestigious Medal For Outstanding Service" SCC and URNU 0
soleil Crosby Herald: "Former Captain Of HMS Eaglet Receives Merchant Navy Medal" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil Telegraph: "'Lawrence Of Helmand' Marine Awarded Afghan Gallantry Medal" The Corps 3
Seaweed WW1 Medal group for S/M Museum Submariners 2
G Medal Naming Help Please History 8
N Anyone have a copy of "Naval General Service Medal Roll" History 2
F Should the 'Angels of Woolwich' be given a medal ? The Quarterdeck 53
MoD_RSS News story: Queen's Gallantry Medal for courageous bomb disposal soldier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: George Medal for Royal Marines winchman MoD News 0
BARNEYRNSM selling a Falklands Conflict medal. Charity 12
soleil Birmingham Mail: "Smethwick War Hero's Medal Set For Display In Library" History 1
Seadog Austrailian Army in Afghanistan (or Medal of Honor)? Current Affairs 13
A To apply for Arctic Convoy Medal:Contacts. Current Affairs 3
P arctic convoys medal Current Affairs 1
A Arctic Convoy Medal Out Next Month! Current Affairs 2
trelawney126 Arctic & Bomber Command WW2 Medal Current Affairs 0
soleil Herald: "Heroic Royal Marine Wins Medal For Saving Comrade Under Fire" The Corps 5
janner New Medal Diamond Lil's 25
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Arctic Convoy Medal will now be awarded. Current Affairs 31
andym Lost Medal Found. The Fleet 35
SONAR-BENDER 'Not allowed' to accept a medal by FO Current Affairs 0
BARNEYRNSM ARP Warden medal History 20
trelawney126 Libya Campaign Medal Current Affairs 1
scouse Trafalgar medal goes under the hammer Diamond Lil's 9
stan_the_man HMS COVENTRY 1982 Lost medal Diamond Lil's 4
soleil BBC: "CPO Brian Diamond From HMS Diamond Given Diamond Medal" The Fleet 2
Pontius Mutley says, "Gimme, gimme, gimme medal" Diamond Lil's 19
soleil Wigan Evening Post: "Medal For Gun Rampage Navy Officer" Submariners 1
T Former sailor angry he won't receive Diamond Jubilee medal The Quarterdeck 73
B South Atlantic Medal For Sale The Corps 3
all_purple_now Diamond Jubilee Medal eligibility Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 12
Old-sea-dog UK Medal for the Artic Convoy Veterans Petitions 2