medal cleaning

Discussion in 'Social & Reunions' started by wompingwillow, Oct 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok prepared for incoming abuse about the fact I don't know how to do this, but I'd rather look silly than melt my Great grandfathers world war one/two medals

So can anyone give me some advice/pointers on whats best to use and the best way to go about cleaning them

2. Dip them in vinegar then polish em up
  3. Definately do not do the above. The vinegar will remove any finish already on the metal. Polishing with any kind of metal polish will inevitably stain the ribbons, and using an abrasive polish such as silvo will still scratch the surface of the medal, whch will be difficult to replace. The easiest way to clean a medal is with an ordinary pencil rubber. The ones with the pointed tip are best, but any sort will do. I discovered this tip on ARRSE, which has a number of threads on this topic. Enjoy!
  4. Good tip clanky - didn't know that one and to think of all the hours I've spent trying to avoid staining the ribbons.

5. The best is Brasso- its polish impregnated fibre and a soft cloth to get the shine on them.
    To protect the ribbons with the round medals get some thin card board and cut it to size so it slides into the hanger and and doubles back to protect the ribbon
    With the stars thread a piece of cloth through the ring so it covers the ribbon
    Polishing lay them on a flat surface hold them still with the hanger-do them one at a time and make sure your hands stay clean-ish.
  6. Anyone who reccomends using an abrasive polish (ie Brasso) on a medal is probably a relic from the 60s/70s, when matelots didnt get medals, as they didnt do any ops in those days. Stick with your pencil eraser WW.

Clanky carries out brace drlll!

7. Boring Boring :lol: :lol:

I collect old medals so when the rubber eraser is worn out revert to metal polish!! :lol: :lol:
  8. Brown sauce does the job , 8)
  9. Christ - you're not supposed to eat them dondon. :lol:

10. I know , but it works a treat , honestly , 8)
  11. For medals made of Nickle Silver - H Samual do Silver Dip, you dip the medal in, hold it for 30 seconds (watch the sh1t dissolve) pull it out and clean with a soft cloth.

Brasso is best for brass/Copper based medals.

12. I would suggest lemon juice for copper based medals. I use it on my copper pans. Mind you brasso works best! The best solution is to clean them properly once then store them in a vacuum pack - the lack of air stops the metal oxydizing and the tarnish forming in the first place. Keep them in a cool dark place (stops the ribbon fading/rotting) and bequeath to your workplace medal collection - if they have one. We do!
  13. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You can also get silver polishing cloths - work as well as Brasso etc but without the mess, v handy if they happen to be Court mounted.
  14. I am 8O Sir....

GSM 1962 - Northern Ireland, Malay Peninsula, Borneo, Dhofar,South Vietnam, South Arabia, Radfan.

I personally use a light polish cloth, and I have only renewed the ribbons once....

15. :oops:
    Ooops, missed aline out here - these are all the awards, not what I have personnally....