Med Discharge Pension

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by chippy, Dec 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A question.
    I am due out Medical discharge in June 2012. I have done 24 years and would have had a further 4 to do. Will my pension be affected and take into account the time that I have been forced to give up, its roughly £200 a month loss.
    The pension calculator doesnt take this into account.
    Cheers.

2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

If I understand this correctly you want your pension to reflect time you haven't done. Whats the difference between you and someone who's medically discharged at say the 16 year mark?

Do you still recieve a lump sum having completed OE1/22+ years? Or do you recieve an index linked pension straight off?

3. The question i ask is does it take into account time that would be remaining. I dont know and cant find anything that will tell me

4. no it doesnt

5. witsend

I've never heard of anyone being given an pension amount based on the time they have completed plus the remainer of their contract.

For example, a young lad/lass could be booted out after 5 years. I don't think they will recieve a medicial pension reflecting 18/22 years.

Contact your UPO and best of luck.

6. Must admit, if I understand it correctly, it does strike me as a very odd question. As wits has said - a pension based on what you intended doing?

7. witsend

I'm curious how a medical discharge works for someone who is on 2OE/EC?.

Lump sum & normal pension or a medically discharged pension.

8. chippy,

For your Query, and ANY related advice on a Service Pension, these are the people to assist/drive your case. The Forces Pension Society - Expert Armed Forces Pensions help and advice

ie <<...Medical Discharge Given the level of conflict the Armed Forces constantly find themselves in at present, medical discharges are becoming more prevalent. All too often the individual is given little notice of the impending medical board. More disturbingly, they seem to be unable to obtain any details of potential pension awards. Members of the FPS are given advice on the procedures...>>

Plenty of other stuff on their Website.

Membership - All Members whether single or with spouses, civil partners or partners as Joint Members £30.00 pa

The alternative is to risk duff advice from the ex-lower-deck lawyer* on here or down the RNA/RBL and never knowing where you really realy stand...:slow:

Bob

PS Those *LDLs can try try the AFPS Quiz here The Forces Pension Society - New member Questionnaire

Anything less than top marks then your status as a LDL is confirmed.:-D

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  9. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I thought that the financial package was briefed as part of the MBOS process... seems to be a gap here

10. Thanks silverfox, I have the brief in January but was just asking as a heads up. Just trying to sort my life out as June will aproach quickly. Seems some on here dont have a very civil tongue and would rather rant.

11. Responses on this thread so far are very civil, by RR standards! You should seek pension advice from an expert or the Forces Pension Society (and clearly during the resettlement process). I'm quite surprised that, at this range, you seem to know that you will get a medical discharge next June - I know a bit about this whole process and it does not appear to ring true.

12. Chippy

It's rather complex and I can't find any chapter and verse which would cover this. I would suggest ringing the SPVA tomorrow morning on 0800 085 3600 and seeing what they have to say about this. They open at 0700.

What are your plans for the future, by the way?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  13. Agree, SJ - edited what I had written after I had reflected on it.

Suggest that Chippy speaks to the SPVA to obtain official confirmation of his/her entitlement in the first instance, so that he/she has an accurate and official statement on his/her position with which to approach the FPS.

Definitely the way to go - tomorrow morning, nice cup of tea, toast, phone the SPVA and then the FPS.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  14. Cheers guys, will be calling them first thing. I know i will be out as someone with my condition cant stay. I have a few fingers in pies and have some god civvy mates in high places so not worried on the job front. Going to take a enjoy my cash and already have a holiday and lads ski trip booked.

15. witsend

Hmmmmmm, I take it your referring to me?

This isn't the forum to give you the reply I really want and think you deserve. So I'll just make you a internet cup of tea. How many sugars would you like?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I get that - and the problem with the brief is the flash to bang time is very short, which is not much use whne you want to plan ahead. I will do some digging, but as each case is worked out individually I don't hold out much hope.

17. Chippy, whatever happens, I suggest you take some advice from a qualified tax advisor, HMRC might just jump on you for 'unearned income' !! I am still fighting the barstewards after nearly 12 months !!
    Perhaps if I had started a mobile phone company, I could have had it written off tout de suit !! ....... Unfortunately, as a mere taxpayer, and despite evidence to the contrary, HMRC still insist on docking 'unpaid' taxes off me .......... Grrrr !!

18. Guys the rates of medical discharge are announced in the annual AFPRB Signal, it depends on
    A. The level of disability shown as a percentage
    B. How many years you have served.

You then get the lump sum which is broadly 3 times your annual pension.

May I be so bold as to suggest old Chippy wants a medical discharge to avoid paying tax and doesn't want to go to sea again.
    Me I'm just a cynical old cnut.

As an aside chippy pm me and I'll give you the full brakdown and how it effects you

19. Chippy hasn't got back to me - FOST, love my job go to sea twice a week give grief to real Senior Rates deploying for 6 months I really really hate FOST and cnuts like this twat.

20. witsend

How did FOST manage to enter the equation stan?