Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meat grown in a lab

off_les_aura

War Hero
Nah that was Soylent Green - hence the catchphrase "Soylent Green is people!". Not sure what Soylent Red was made of.

Horrible eh?. I have an image in my head of a bit slab of pulsating meat in a lab being "exercised" to turn it into steak. Urrgggh!
 

Stirling

Banned
Yep, my bad, taken from Wiki.

-
In the year 2022, the population has grown to forty million people in New York City alone. Most housing is dilapidated and overcrowded, and the homeless fill the streets and line the fire escapes and stairways of buildings. Food as we know it today is a rare and expensive commodity. Most of the world's population survives on processed rations produced by the massive Soylent Corporation, including Soylent Red and Soylent Yellow, which are advertised as "high-energy vegetable concentrates". The newest product is Soylent Green — a small green wafer which is advertised as being produced from "high-energy plankton". It is much more nutritious and palatable than the red and yellow varieties, but it is — like most other food — in short supply, which often leads to food riots
 
off_les_aura said:
I have an image in my head of a bit slab of pulsating meat in a lab being "exercised" to turn it into steak. Urrgggh!

Welcome to contract catering :pukeright:

Seriously though, I can't see me eating anything grown in a lab. I like my food to have suffered for my enjoyment.
 
off_les_aura said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6680989/Meat-grown-in-laboratory-in-world-first.html

This is the most disturbing thing I have read in ages.

As a Sci-Fi fan I can see all sorts uses. Artifical food for the poor a la Soylent Green. A "meat-suit" for cyborgs a la Terminator.

What sort of world are my kids going to be living in? :(


Get fcuking real what planet are you living on you are living on a planet full of fcuking shite.

http://www.earthlings.com/
 

off_les_aura

War Hero
Backpacker1uk said:
off_les_aura said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6680989/Meat-grown-in-laboratory-in-world-first.html

This is the most disturbing thing I have read in ages.

As a Sci-Fi fan I can see all sorts uses. Artifical food for the poor a la Soylent Green. A "meat-suit" for cyborgs a la Terminator.

What sort of world are my kids going to be living in? :(


Get fcuking real what planet are you living on you are living on a planet full of fcuking shite.

http://www.earthlings.com/

Hmm. Not nice, agreed, but hardly an objective look at the meat industry. My father-in-law is a slaughterman and my brother-in-law is a boner in the same plant. I think you'll find that all slaughter in the UK is humane and regulated.

In any case, I'm not interested in debating the Vegan question. I like meat as part of a balanced diet. I'm just stating that I'd rather my children ate meat from a natural source, reared in a natural environment and humanely killed, rather than some shite grown in a laboratory.
 

labrum

War Hero
off_les_aura said:
Hmm. Not nice, agreed, but hardly an objective look at the meat industry. My father-in-law is a slaughterman and my brother-in-law is a boner in the same plant. I think you'll find that all slaughter in the UK is humane and regulated.

In any case, I'm not interested in debating the Vegan question. I like meat as part of a balanced diet. I'm just stating that I'd rather my children ate meat from a natural source, reared in a natural environment and humanely killed, rather than some shite grown in a laboratory.
Really..!? 8O :lol:
 
What sort of world are my kids going to be living in. Was the question.

Vegan was not mentioned.

Neither the celebration to the Goddess Kali in Nepal during October/November every five years the thick uneducated prats they stand a better chance of a visit from Santa Claus than a blessing from a stone statue awash with blood from the beheadings and riualistic slaughter of the thousands of animals brought by people who can barely feed themselves.

http://www.animalnepal.org/campaigns_wwc.htm
 

chieftiff

War Hero
Moderator
off_les_aura said:
What sort of world are my kids going to be living in? :(

A different one to that which you grew up in, that's the way it works.

70% of the children born this year will be doing jobs which nobody has even thought of in 40 years! Quite a bizarre statistic which I heard last week at a conference, I challenged it and was then treated to a list of jobs which existed 40 years ago and don't today and another huge list of jobs that exist today that never existed 40 years ago.............. the world changes, science moves on, we die.
 

off_les_aura

War Hero
labrum said:
off_les_aura said:
Yeah, he uses that line to great effect :D
I daren't ask, but, what exactly does a boner do?

He chops the animals into the large bits that end up at the butchers shop - quarter lamb, half pig etc. Like an intermediate stage between killing the animal and it becoming a steak or a leg of lamb.

I like WreckerLs description though :lol:
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Press release: Livestock and Meat Commission Chair and Board Members MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Export boost for UK industry as India opens market to British sheep meat MoD News 0
Wightsparker Meat products in new fiver Current Affairs 7
F On balance I think I'd prefer horse meat. The Gash Barge 10
Waspie Roll up - Roll up. Get your horse meat 'ear Current Affairs 0
trehorn Halal Meat The Quarterdeck 91
DannyW Fresh Meat Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 42
yicker Meat raffles....sh1t 'em Diamond Lil's 8
S Meat pies. Diamond Lil's 0
A Meat is child abuse Current Affairs 20
Shakey Any know how to make doner kebab meat? The Quarterdeck 15
MoD_RSS Dounreay's first 'home grown' health physics surveyors qualify MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Salad could one day be grown on Mars MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Trees planted grown from seeds that went into space MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Welsh-grown daffodils help tackle Alzheimer's MoD News 0
broadside Sufficiently Grown Up? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 76
scouse Mighty Lusty grown to Nimitz class? Current Affairs 25
bigbaddog "Chuck another ??? on the Barby!" (Grown-ups only) The Gash Barge 9
UncleAlbert Are we grown up enough to be allowed to discuss Iran. here? Diamond Lil's 216
MoD_RSS £61 million boost for Europe's largest 'flying lab' to tackle climate change from the skies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 500 test sites now open as new lab partnerships boost capacity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS O2 launches UK's first driverless cars lab MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Lighthouse Lab to boost NHS Test and Trace capacity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield lab creates hand sanitiser for site and communities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Glasgow COVID-19 Mega Lab Opens MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Testing capacity increases as second Lighthouse Lab becomes fully operational MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Health Secretary launches biggest diagnostic lab network in British history to test for coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Flagship AI Lab announced as Defence Secretary hosts first meet between British and American defence innovators MoD News 0
Similar threads




























Latest Threads

New Posts

Top