Meat grown in a lab

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by off_les_aura, Nov 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Soylent Red was what came out the other end of Euthanasia Centre IIRC OLA ?.
  2. Nah that was Soylent Green - hence the catchphrase "Soylent Green is people!". Not sure what Soylent Red was made of.

Horrible eh?. I have an image in my head of a bit slab of pulsating meat in a lab being "exercised" to turn it into steak. Urrgggh!
  3. Yep, my bad, taken from Wiki.

In the year 2022, the population has grown to forty million people in New York City alone. Most housing is dilapidated and overcrowded, and the homeless fill the streets and line the fire escapes and stairways of buildings. Food as we know it today is a rare and expensive commodity. Most of the world's population survives on processed rations produced by the massive Soylent Corporation, including Soylent Red and Soylent Yellow, which are advertised as "high-energy vegetable concentrates". The newest product is Soylent Green — a small green wafer which is advertised as being produced from "high-energy plankton". It is much more nutritious and palatable than the red and yellow varieties, but it is — like most other food — in short supply, which often leads to food riots
  4. Welcome to contract catering :pukeright:

Seriously though, I can't see me eating anything grown in a lab. I like my food to have suffered for my enjoyment.

5. Get fcuking real what planet are you living on you are living on a planet full of fcuking shite.
  6. Hmm. Not nice, agreed, but hardly an objective look at the meat industry. My father-in-law is a slaughterman and my brother-in-law is a boner in the same plant. I think you'll find that all slaughter in the UK is humane and regulated.

In any case, I'm not interested in debating the Vegan question. I like meat as part of a balanced diet. I'm just stating that I'd rather my children ate meat from a natural source, reared in a natural environment and humanely killed, rather than some shite grown in a laboratory.
  7. Really..!? 8O :lol:
  8. Yeah, he uses that line to great effect :D
  9. I wonder if they could sort me out with a couple of extra inches and make it 14"?
  10. I don't think they can grow pizza yet
  11. :)
  12. I daren't ask, but, what exactly does a boner do?
  13. Causes me great discomfort first thing in the morning :lol:
  14. Before I got a proper job, I grew some meat in a lab once. The other lab technician was quite pleased about it.

Mmmm, Edna.
  15. What sort of world are my kids going to be living in. Was the question.

Vegan was not mentioned.

Neither the celebration to the Goddess Kali in Nepal during October/November every five years the thick uneducated prats they stand a better chance of a visit from Santa Claus than a blessing from a stone statue awash with blood from the beheadings and riualistic slaughter of the thousands of animals brought by people who can barely feed themselves.
  16. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

A different one to that which you grew up in, that's the way it works.

70% of the children born this year will be doing jobs which nobody has even thought of in 40 years! Quite a bizarre statistic which I heard last week at a conference, I challenged it and was then treated to a list of jobs which existed 40 years ago and don't today and another huge list of jobs that exist today that never existed 40 years ago.............. the world changes, science moves on, we die.
  17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Happy farkin' Christmas! :shock: :wink:
  18. He chops the animals into the large bits that end up at the butchers shop - quarter lamb, half pig etc. Like an intermediate stage between killing the animal and it becoming a steak or a leg of lamb.

I like WreckerLs description though :lol: