ME on a mine clearance ship

just out of curiosity really, would a ME be drafted to a mine clearance ship like or do they need to do different training for different ship, I know it’s pretty much all the same but there must be mechanical differences between say a aircraft carrier and a mine sweeper

Mostly same stuff: it all whirs, clicks, leaks, smells etc.

You'll get added responsibility because an mcmv doesn't have space for passengers. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjg375

Lantern Swinger
You will do your initial post phase 2 training on a bigger class of ship, as MCMV ME depts are not able to deal with the training burden. Once you have reached a certain level of experience and qualification you can express an interest in serving on Sandown or Hunt class. If you show the aptitude and your career manager needs people on small ships then you might get sent there. As ATG says it's all marine engineering at the end of the day. Bigger ships tend to be more high tech but on small ships you'll get more responsibility, earlier in your career. The jobs are very similar but the kit you'll work on will differ from ship type to ship type. In your career you can easily go from aircraft carriers to destroyers to MCMV or P2000 and then back to T45. You'll (hopefully) get the training you need to do the job before you go.

You will do your initial post phase 2 training on a bigger class of ship, as MCMV ME depts are not able to deal with the training burden. Once you have reached a certain level of experience and qualification you can express an interest in serving on Sandown or Hunt class. If you show the aptitude and your career manager needs people on small ships then you might get sent there. As ATG says it's all marine engineering at the end of the day. Bigger ships tend to be more high tech but on small ships you'll get more responsibility, earlier in your career. The jobs are very similar but the kit you'll work on will differ from ship type to ship type. In your career you can easily go from aircraft carriers to destroyers to MCMV or P2000 and then back to T45. You'll (hopefully) get the training you need to do the job before you go.
Would performing well on a MCMV be a good step for promotion?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
By way of illustration, the responsibility increases as the size of the ship decreases:

As a PO Stoker on MCMVs I was a shipwright, a Ship Control Centre (SCC) watchkeeper, diving apparatus maintainer, outboard motor maintainer, looked after bowthrust, ship's boats, all bulk liquids (Diesel, Petrol, Water), hydraulics, firemain, portable and fixed firefighting equipment, sewerage treatment, steering gear, osmosis plant, fridge plant, galley equipment and dealt with whole ship stores - everything from bombs & bullets, nuts & bolts to bogrolls. On the bridge for entering/leaving harbour (if not in the SCC) likewise in charge of a damage control/firefighting team when things went a bit poo. I had one ET(ME) to help me.

When I joined an aircraft carrier as a Petty Officer, I looked after the workshop equipment - lathes, milling machine, engraving machine, grinding machine, vertical drilling machine and spanners. OK thousands and thousands of spanners in toolboxes, but spanners mainly. I got promoted to CPO on aircraft carriers because my spanner-keeping skills were second to none. I had a Leading Hand and two ET(ME)'s working for me. Gen :)

By way of illustration, the responsibility increases as the size of the ship decreases:

As a PO Stoker on MCMVs I was a shipwright, a Ship Control Centre (SCC) watchkeeper, diving apparatus maintainer, outboard motor maintainer, looked after bowthrust, ship's boats, all bulk liquids (Diesel, Petrol, Water), hydraulics, firemain, portable and fixed firefighting equipment, sewerage treatment, steering gear, osmosis plant, fridge plant, galley equipment and dealt with whole ship stores - everything from bombs & bullets, nuts & bolts to bogrolls. On the bridge for entering/leaving harbour (if not in the SCC) likewise in charge of a damage control/firefighting team when things went a bit poo. I had one ET(ME) to help me.

When I joined an aircraft carrier as a Petty Officer, I looked after the workshop equipment - lathes, milling machine, engraving machine, grinding machine, vertical drilling machine and spanners. OK thousands and thousands of spanners in toolboxes, but spanners mainly. I got promoted to CPO on aircraft carriers because my spanner-keeping skills were second to none. I had a Leading Hand and two ET(ME)'s working for me. Gen :)
My cousin who’s ex RN Comms, told me that if you’re onboard a carrier, you’re treated like the rate beneath that what you actually are? Ie a P.O. is treated like a LH etc

Seadog

War Hero
My cousin who’s ex RN Comms, told me that if you’re onboard a carrier, you’re treated like the rate beneath that what you actually are? Ie a P.O. is treated like a LH etc
If you behave like a big OD, you'll be treated as one. Act like a grown up and you'll be treated as one, whatever ship or unit you serve in.