McRae Helicopter crash

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Waspie, Feb 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Appears racing legend Colin McRae may not have been qualified either on helicopter type and hold a valid pilots license.

Not only that but he hit a tree hard and fast

Read it here
  2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Why the Sky News link and not the AAIB where we'd get to read about how significant a factor the lapsed license was in the crash? :roll:
  3. Have you ever read an AAIB report? They run into thousands of pages as a rule covering every aspect of an accident from stomach contents to aircraft service schedules. Gleaning the salient points is a lifes work.

I'll stick to the news, that I can digest.
  4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

1000s of pages as a rule?

AAIB Report into McCrae's Crash

I'd rather distil important information from engineers and aviators rather than journos. But that's just me. Thirty three pages, you can manage that.
  5. Must have been unlucky, I read - no - intended to read several interesting crash reports that have been of personal interest but the volume has always put me off.

Thanks for finding the report, at 30 odd pages I'll give it a scan when she watches her soaps tonight. May be helicopter accidents don't warrant the amount of writing big fixed wing amount to!!

Understand what you say about Journalists though, but the point being the Sky headline gives a taster of what the final report implies.