MCM1 Faslane. Advice.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Robbo1989, Sep 6, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, it looks like I'm about to be moved from Pompey to Faslane and join one of the MCM1 crews.
    I have a very limited knowledge of their deployment time, runs ashore, or general life onboard.
    Any advice or information would be much obliged.
  2. Run away. NOW. Just do it.
  3. Life in Faslane small ships is fine. Just take a car, so as to ensure you can get off the base when you are alongside. Do you do AT or something like that? If so, there is masses to do, otherwise get yourself into Glasgow for the runs ashore and the train back to England!

If you're at sea, you'll spend most of your time up at the Kyles of Lochalsh or Loch Fyne: much better than being sea-sick off Pompey!
  4. Cheer Alfred, I've heard that we'll do 6 month deployments in the Gulf every year, is there any truth to that?

I'm into snowboarding but haven't done it while I've been in the mob. I'd be up for giving any AT a go though.
  5. No, it's about 1 in 3/1 in 4 from what I remember.

The thing to remember about Faslane is either take advantage of everything that's there, or **** off at the earliest opportunity. There's not a lot to do on the base nor in Helensburgh.
  6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"I'm into snowboarding but haven't done it while I've been in the mob. I'd be up for giving any AT a go though."

Check out and register on the site - this will let you register online for any AT courses of interest and apply without having to do reams of paperwork in advance.
  7. If you know which MCM1 crew you are joining, you can look back through the 'Latest News' page and 'News Archives' of the MCDOA website to see its previous pattern of employment and activities.
  8. I would say theres more to do on the base than there is on any other base.
    For snowboarding Faslane has a dry ski slope which might be below you but if your a bit rusty could get you back in to the sport. Plus you can do it for a sport make a mend without having to actually travel. During the season you can easily drive to places in Scotland for the weekend to go snowboarding.
    There's plenty of places you can go mountain biking dotted around and the sports centre has mountain bikes you can borrow.
    I recently moved from Clyde to Devonport and can honestly say I miss faslane due to the much higher quality of facilities they have.
    On the downsides the base is fairly remote getting a bus from the base toHelensburgh involves a fairly decent walk and they are not very regular, although if you time it well there are free base busses. Once you make it in to Helensburgh you will want to Goethe train to Glasgow ASAP as the berg has little to offer in nightlife or anything else.
    The train takes about an hour and runs every thirty minutes most of the day.