McDonalds Not Supporting the 2007 Poppy Appeal?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by vinceprince, Oct 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have become an Area co-ordinator for the Poppy Appeal for the last 2 years and inherited an area that includes a branch of McDonalds. For each of the last 2 years they have had a Poppy box and collected a significant amount of money for the appeal. I went in today with the box and collecting tins and was told by the manager that McDonalds no longer take part in the Poppy appeal as they support their own charity. Anyone else out there come across this or has anyone seen a poppy box in a McD's this year? I have sent an e mail to McD's customer services but they won't respond until Monday at the earliest. I was shocked at the time (but polite) and only became angry as I was on my way home. The Poppy Appeal is a British institution and considering that this particular McD's is only 3 miles from a military establishment which has lost people in action recently, I am appalled. Can you imagine McD's not supporting American service charities in the good old US of A, I think not. :threaten:
  2. Re: McDonalds Not Supporting the 2007 Poppy Appeal

This might be one for the RBL to take up with McDs at a higher level.

You might want to contact the RBL Poppy Appeal office and give them further details:

Tel: +44 (0)1622 717172
    The Poppy Appeal
    RBL Village, Aylesford
    Kent ME20 7NX

E-mail details are on the contact pages of the RBL site HERE
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: McDonalds Not Supporting the 2007 Poppy Appeal

Hello VP,

Not heard of it before however, since McD's is an individual franchise I would imagine each store has their own policy with regard charity, rather than a national one.

To be honest, whilst not a frequent visitor to these outlets, I cannot ever remember thinking I'll get a poppy from McD's. When you look at the customer base it's not the most likely of charity income generators, I wouldn't have thought.
  4. Re: McDonalds Not Supporting the 2007 Poppy Appeal

Outrageous! Get your collectors to stand outside with their collecting tins and box of poppies.

I will also be very interested to hear what the response is from McD HQ?
  5. Re: McDonalds Not Supporting the 2007 Poppy Appeal

That's the problem. Up until last year they were all individual franchises but now it apears that they are part of the global McD empire and i was told that the company policy is not to allow poppy boxes. I am waiting for a response from McD HQ UK but won't expect to see anything for a fewe days yet. In the meantime, would be interested to know if anyone see's a poppy box in any McD outlet. The one I am referring to is on the A303 and as such gets a lot of p[assing trade who have been most generous in the last two years. That aside, it is a matter of principle when you consider the number of outlets they have in the UK.
  6. Re: McDonalds Not Supporting the 2007 Poppy Appeal

I have been told by some members on ARRSE that they have seen poppy boxes in a number of McD outlets so will wait and see what the response is from McD HQ on Monday and let you know. Cheers.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Cheers VP,

Have to say I'm a bit ambivalent whether they do support RBL or not. Before that enrages anyone, I fully accept the amount of outlets, but fail to see why they, more than any other multiple retail outlet owe any charity specific preferential treatment.

Happy to stand corrected, but the best way of raising income is surely by people selling poppies on the street, as they enter & exit McD's, M&S & Woolworths rather than a tray of poppies & collection box sat mutely on a food service counter. That's how I've always done my bit anyway.
  8. Re: McDonalds Not Supporting the 2007 Poppy Appeal

If it turns out to be true then you should flag it to the papers. It would be an outrage.

I'd personally never set foot in one again.

9. Re: McDonalds Not Supporting the 2007 Poppy Appeal

Same here, I have my grandkids next week and I usually take them for their monthly McD treat, I shall investigate this at our local McDs, and we will be wearing our poppies with pride.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Perhaps I'm missing something in that I never go to McD's because they're crap.

Never have, never will. Hence my confusion with regard the sale of Poppies, maybe I was already one step ahead?
  11. Re: McDonalds Not Supporting the 2007 Poppy Appeal

Ah but that is exactly why I do go into Mc D's - for a crap that is. It is the only reason.
    We travel a lot in France and use them as loos en route to wherever we are going.
    Generally they have a code you need to use to access the loo but any customer will happily tell you.
    Personally I'd ship the whole lot back to where they came from but torpedo them on the way.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Would that be a McPooh, to which you refer?
  13. Re: McDonalds Not Supporting the 2007 Poppy Appeal

Doesn't help but the Bury (Gtr Manchester) branch has a poppy collection tin displayed, although the McDonald's charity tin is displayed more prominently. I may go for a McDump tonight and ask the manager.

I may even use their free wifi to let you know whether it is a blanket policy or down to individual branches / managers.

14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Minor edit to thread title as 'we' often end up sucking back on these 'snub to our boys' threads.

Interested to see what HQ say and I'll include a recce past a McDs on my way to something a bit more edible later.
  15. Something else to add to the list of reasons for never setting foot in the bloody place(s).
  16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I am and never will be a supporter of this company (since becoming a researcher and avid supporter of the two campaigners involved in the "McLibel" court case a number of years ago), but to be Devil's Advocate, I don't think people go to their local McD's branch to buy a poppy. If people want to support the Poppy Appeal then they will buy one at another alternative vendor. And, rightly or wrongly, the initial response given by that particular manager ("We donate to our own charity") is quite correct; donations are optional, not mandatory.

As stated this particular branch is on the A303, so it is likely that Poppy Appeal donations in that catchment area won't be significantly affected, I imagine. It would be interesting to see what charity the branch does donate to? And, since McD's customer services department have had time to repsond to the poster's email, what their answer will be.
  17. Just a word of warning. McDonalds are notoriously litigious. Oh, and their food is shite.
  18. May we know which branch of Macdonalds, please?
  19. Presumably the one on the roundabout near Yeovilton?

Edited to add: Due to the high number of military personnel living nearby, Sgt PB is probably correct in assuming that they don't sell many poppies anyway.
  20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

TattooDog: What I mean from that comment was that, one less vendor in that area will not have a drastic effect overall, when other dontations from other vendors are taken into consideration. And as already mentioned, it will give people another valids reason to avoid using/eating their products.