McCann's as suspects?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by oberon, Sep 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. PA (Press Association) are reporting the McCann may have a change of status to suspects.

McCanns

2. Any good criminology textbook will tell you the probability of a child being (i) killed by stranger; (ii) killed by a person or people it knows; or (iii) killed by a family member. The police will know this too and will presumably have investigated the case accordingly.

As this is sub-judice I suggest we stop speculating and let the police do their job.

3. No longer speculation: its just come in over the wire that the Kate McCann will be named a suspect later today:

Suspect

4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

so she isn't a suspect. If and when she is a suspect, the thread may be unlocked. Previous 'Maddy' threads have been a mixture of rants, tears, finger pointing and bone posts and have been deleted.

AAC wrote
    Agreed, even though this isn't a Service related case. Watch this space.

5. Seadog

Okay, she's officially a suspect. Thread is open. The policy below mirrors that of ARRSE (word for word). Usual rules apply. If anyone posts anything defamatory in this thread it will be deleted. That would include any hints that any particular person or group of people may be responsible for a crime, or any speculation about how it might have been committed or why.

Or we can just follow AAC's suggestion.

6. Maybe you should move it to a forum where censorship is not a problem, otherwise you have basically killed any discussion with your attempt at cutting people off at the pass... :hockey:

7. Seadog

There is a thread on censorship in the Site Issues forum. Bad CO wrote

8. ok... see how long this post lasts..

It seems to me that she finally looks worried... finally has the look of fear and concern.....wonder WHY.............

it is very often the sad case that the family know more than they have told... how many times has this happend befor were the nation has poured out love and sorrow only to find that the family realy did do.... I realy do hope that she is inocent..... but only time will tell............

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So would you if you had been accused of a crime in the glare of the media, especially of a crime as sensitive as this.

Do you have access to the police transcripts? No, so we can only speculate what has been said to the police.

The nation has poured out love and sorrow? Hmm, don't count me in with the rest of the nation!

Look, I am not an apologist for the McCanns - my previous posts will testify to this. However let us see this for what it is.

In British law, a suspect is a person the police have reasonable grounds to 'suspect' of having committed, was committing or was about to commit an offence. They will be questioned under caution about those suspicions. If there is evidence to support the allegation, then a case wil be forwarded to the CPS.

In Portugal, if a person is named as a suspect, it is in order that specific questions can be put to a person who may be a witness to an offence. In order to do so, they are entitled to additional legal services not given to mere witnesses.

In either case, being a suspect does not a criminal make! Despite what the media will have you believe... :roll:

10. no comment.............

11. Good point well made. Now can you let the BBC/ITN/Sky etc know! The Police have said they wanted to put 22 new questions to Kate but HAD to make her a suspect in order to do so. Like SPB says being a suspect under the law in Portugal does not mean the same in the UK.

12. I was under the impression in most cases involving a spouse or children the primary suspects would always be the parents, this was to their benefit, as it would eliminate them as suspects from the get go.

This seems to be ass backwards, they spend 4 Months running around looking at shadows, only to now come to the parents, I think the Portuguese did not do so from the beginning because of the publicity, adverse or otherwise.

It's a shame because now the speculation will be rife with innuendos about the parents culpability in this whole affair.

Why wouldn't the parents have not cooperated with the investigation to the point that now they are considered suspects, what questions would they not answer from day 1..?

13. The law moves in mysterious ways its wonders to achieve...

That is why we are sitting on our arses, and passing comment and NOT the law doing what they have to. 24 hour news needs feeding, and the jurnos are clutching at anything to make copy.

See what Stg wrote "In either case, being a suspect does not a criminal make! Despite what the media will have you believe."

MOD keep your eye on this one, it could turn stupid, you will need eyes in the bum.

14. Something has always not added up in this case-- but who are we, the general public, to speculate?

Truth will out -- albeit in many years------- god forbid...........

15. If this had happenned in the UK the parents would automatically be suspects. It does not mean that they are guilty or innocent.

16. http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1283158,00.html

whether or not this is good or bad news- if it brings tilight what happened to this poor child that is , surely all that matters.

I initially posted this when it first happened, but post was deleted , i hope and pray the parents ARE NOT TO BLAME, but for so long something has not been quite right........ where have the twins been??

if I were the mother I would spend every waking moment with my remaining children, not jet all over on some crusade - which the police etc could do on my behalf--- something is not right here-- but I hope my suspicions are wrong

17. Agree with Brazen. Mrs Drunken and I have felt there's something odd about the whole thing for a while. Going back to earlier posts, also if the McCanns had been in the UK they would probably have been up for child neglect.

18. If they weren't white middle class doctors they'd have had their other kids took off them ages ago.

19. Whatever the 'news' story, they have broken UK and Portuguese law by leaving those children alone in that room.

The relevent UK law is Section One of the Children and Young Persons Act 1933.

The Portuguese law is…

Portuguese Judicial Code

Article 138

Exposure or abandonment

1- To whom places in danger the life of another person:
    a) Expose the person in a place and situation, who cannot defend by herself; or
    b) Abandon without defense, everytime it is up to the “agent†to keep, assist and watch the person;

2 – If the fact is practiced by ascendant or descendant, adopter or adoptee, the agent is punished with an arrest sentence from 2 to 5 years.

3 - If the fact results:
    a) Serious offense to the physical integrity, the agent is punished with an arrest sentence from 2 to 8 years;
    b) Death, the agent is punished with an arrest sentence from 3 to 10 years;

(sorry for the poor Google translation)

20. Mr and Mrs Mc Cann both have been formally declared as 'suspects '.

Maybe the Portuguese Police are just lining them up for the
    'abandonment 'charges as previously mentioned.

:nemo: :nemo: