MCA query

Discussion in 'RFA' started by volican, Aug 21, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am keen to join the RFA as a cadet marine engineer and have some experience and quals that I think could allow me to take a fast tracked route. As I understand it, for most other companies in the merchant navy you need to apply for a letter of initial assessment from the MCA before applying for the cadetship. Is the process the same for the RFA? I have looked on the website but couldn't find any details, I also asked on live chat but had no luck.

Thanks for your help :)
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  2. I recommend that you get the letter, that way you have your options open. I went through the same process a couple of years back. PM me if you like.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  3. Would be worthwhile contacting RFA recruitment direct to ask them rather than the live chat, which gives out rather spurious information about the RFA.
  4. Thanks for the advice :)
  5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

There is indeed a lot of gash advice about the RFA.

You'd (the OP) be better offering your qualifications and experience up to the MCA for them to make the initial assessment. It is they who decide what exemptions if any you may get, not the RFA.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Happy to be pulled up for gash advice. My comment was based on the experience of an engineer cadet who joined with previous engineering qualifications. I based my post on his experience, sorry if it's not to your standard.
  7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

It's not to the MCA's standard.