MBOS & Commitment Bonus

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by LGunke, Feb 15, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm going to MBOS in March, will I have to repay my commitment bonus I took in Sept? Just wondering if anybody has experience of this as when I asked in the UPO I was told I could have to repay all of it or some of it, which one is it?? Thanks
  2. You've been given some slightly duff advice.

If you joined the RN on 31 Mar 2005, then you would have to repay it in full, as there is ultimately a two year return of service (depending on your trade). However, in the subsequent scheme(s) CB 09 and CB 11, there isn't a return of said service and is actually paid for time served - so no.
    References you want are JSP 754, Chapter 7, Section 2 for the interim scheme; Chapter 7, Section 3 for the new scheme.

What it does sound like they're referring to is either the Interim scheme or even FRI as these two do exclusively refer to repayment if a return of service doesn't occur.

I suggest you go back and see what they say.
  3. I joined Sept 07, I'm assuming I will be on the 05 scheme and would have to repay in full??
  4. You'b be on CB 09, so you shouldn't be. Ask your UPO to have another check and show you the appropriate paragraph. Your four year service point came after 1 Apr 09, so they definitely to have another look.
  5. If you're being discharged on medical grounds, you won't have to pay it back, assuming at the time of taking it that you were unaware that you'd be going to med board. Same applies for LSAP