Maybe a bone question but, education...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by nikki92, Jun 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, searched but couldn't find anything on this, so here goes...

Basically, I'm hoping to join the Navy as soon as possible, and factoring in the wait list for what I want to do [ET(WE)], plus the time taken for the selection process [I've got a careers presentation on Wednesday to get the ball rolling], I think I've got about a year.

Currently at college, I'm doing a BTEC in Music Performance [irrelevant waste of time, I know, last time I let anyone pressure me into anything], of which I still have one year to complete, which fits in nicely with the rough amount of time I think it will take before I can go to Raleigh.

But, the thing is...I really don't enjoy my course. I've been doing it for a year, and feel that it is irrelevant to my life and future career, and I really don't like the attitudes and people on the course, and the way they choose to live their lives. I want nothing to do with a group of drug-addled wasters, in short. So I was considering leaving at the end of this year, and taking two A-Levels [probably Maths and English] from home until I joined up, which would be more relevant to my career.

My question is, what would look better/worse on my application? On the one hand, there's the fact that I didn't have the commitment to stick out college all the way; on the other hand, there's the two A-Levels of much more relevance and academic use if I leave, plus the added bonus of proving that I am self-motivated enough to study at home alone. What do you all think would stand me in better stead for my application and career?

Of course, I’ll be asking my careers advisor when I go in on Wednesday, I was just hoping for some opinions from you learned members!

Thanks all!

2. Re: Maybe a bone qustion but, education...

Just my opinion but i'd say go for the A-levels instead and explain your reasons for changing your course in the way you did. I actually packed my kit and left the house i was living in during the second year of my degree because i wasn't happy with my housemates who were doing drugs in the house so i'm behind you on that one aswell.

In short do the A-levels if your not happy with your course mate!!

3. Re: Maybe a bone qustion but, education...

Thanks, I am really leaning towards the A-Level route - I don't want to look like I can't commit to things, because I can, but A-Levels are so much more relevant, and the idea of spending another year with a bunch of losers that'd rather do drugs and whine about things than get some real work done is really bothering me.
    Thanks for the input!

4. Re: Maybe a bone qustion but, education...

No problem. Sounds like you have already made up your mind so go for it!!!

5. Re: Maybe a bone qustion but, education...

Pretty much, yeah. Double checking it with my careers advisor on Wednesday, I've only got a couple more weeks of college left this academic year so I'm gonna finish them [I don't want to let other people down since I've got commitments with a performance at the end of the week], then sort out with my tutors the best way to go, and get my name off that register for once and for all.

6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Re: Maybe a bone qustion but, education...

nikki,
    I'd agree with XRD too. Be honest with your AFCO about why you've binned your course and it can't reflect badly on you really can it? Good luck with the A-levels. A word of warning though, you do have to be very self disciplined for home study, don't take it on unless you're certain you can do it.

7. Re: Maybe a bone qustion but, education...

Whatever happens - do your A levels...

One day you will leave the Navy and academic qualifications are needed in the outside world... it is notimportant that they were 20 years ago, wrong subject etc. - at the sift stage of almost all jobs, there is a education requirement and nowadays, GCSE is a taken, A level a minimum requirement and often, nowadays, a degree...

8. Re: Maybe a bone qustion but, education...

Yeah, thanks tiddly, as I sad I'll run it past the AFCO before anything is confirmed. I've also studied from home before, did GCSE Spanish, and I've got the support of my dad, who homeschools my two brothers anyway, so I'm not completely on my own in this.

9. Re: Maybe a bone qustion but, education...

Have you talked to your college about any options there may be for changing course.

10. Re: Maybe a bone qustion but, education...

Its cracking that your getting the support you need from home. I don't really like academia to be fair but find it a necessary evil.

Good luck.

P.S wouldn't you pick up a National Diploma or something for doing the first year of your current course??

11. Re: Maybe a bone qustion but, education...

Maxi: it would take me 2 years to do my A-Levels at college, but only 1 at home, and I don't want to delay my entry to the RN when I don't need these qualifications for it.

X.R.D: I think there might be a way that I can get a foundation diploma, I'd need to do next year as well for the National. When I was being pushed down the music path it was relevant, but now it's really not, so I think I'll go for A-Levels. And the support is great too, my Dad has even offered to pay for the courses for me and help me out with anything I'm stuck with

12. Re: Maybe a bone qustion but, education...

Hi Nikki

I was in a similar position a few years back - I binned my a levels at college to go and get a full time job. Full time education just doesnt suit everyone does it? ran through this in the interview and passed with no problems. Anyway, sound like you've got a plan and you're not just leaving to sit around doing nothing - I dont think anyone could critisize you for that.

13. Re: Maybe a bone qustion but, education...

Good to know it caused you no problems, David!
    I'm planning on doing Maths with Mechanics and Physics, which is a lot more relevant than this BTEC, so I don't think it'll cause me any problems! Full-time education is not really my thing either, although I'm quite academic, I never really enjoyed it - I just prefer to be working and doing something really useful with my life.

14. Re: Maybe a bone qustion but, education...

Cant say fairer than that can you?! If everyone had that attitude world would be a better place wouldnt it!

15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Re: Maybe a bone qustion but, education...

If my educational qualifications had been as impressive as Nikki's, I reckon I'd know how to spell "question" correctly... :oops: :wink:

16. Re: Maybe a bone qustion but, education...

Oh, and I hadn't even noticed that one...damn!
    I've had far too many of those brainless moments today, sorry guys!

17. I'd agree with the others that have said if you don't enjoy your current course/direction then you are better off ditching it and doing the A levels. Particularly given they are in good subjects, they will stand you well for a number of potential future careers. Again, explain to a potential employer why you dropped the original course but also push anything you gained from it, independent study, etc. Good luck.

18. Nikki: Male or female, are you willing to die for your country if necessary ??? If the answer is yes, then go for it, and if not, stick to music ...good luck...

19. Definitely a yes, for my country and it's people.
    I'm going in on Wednesday to double check that this is the right route for me with the AFCO, because I don't want to appear that I'm not commited - but then, leaving and doing relevant A-Levels will hopefully solve that. We shall see.
    Thanks for all the advice, very much appreciated!

20. Nikki

Am late on this one, as have been away.

No doubt you have spoken to your local CA by now, but, for what it's worth, I would concur with the others about doing the A Levels.

The one thing I would say is that, while I know that you are considering doing them as a home course, you should investigate whether any local colleges are doing them on a One Year Intensive Basis. Many do. It's true that there's a lot on the A Level English syllabus which you can easily do at home, but I think that it would help to be in an actual class with a teacher experienced in teaching A Level when it comes to the Maths.