Maximum Chop Range?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by crewroomdits, Apr 21, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey there

I'm a maintainer in VL that walks past to CHF HQ everyday to get to stopwich cross.

I have great fun of playing the should I or shouldn't I salute the brass walking down the opposite side of the road, since the wardroom gate and a HQ building are sitting opposite.

In my "opinion" ( As rating I accept isn't that high up in the sphere of influence) and 2nd hand dits from ceremonial training in phase 1/2, I belive that when two people are on opposite sides of a road walking in opposite directions a chops pretty excessive.

Then everyday about 80% of officers agree with me apart from one or two that stop, dish out a grilling and demand the proper marks of respect.

Now I'd love to be able to turn round be a smartass and quote Br 1834, ch x,y,z ... and states were out of range for the marks of respect.

When I get a chance I'll dig out the Br3, 2 and have a research but I wondered if anyone on here know the regs or a chapter off the top of their head to save me the time of digging though the br's at work?

2. Simple rule of thumb: if you can make eye contact, salute.

It takes about 2 seconds, and 10 calories to achieve, just salute.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ask the remaining 20% what they think ;)

4. It is much more fun to salute ALL officers and when your salute is not returned wish said officer good morning/afternoon in a loud voice while still holding the salute.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

10 Calories? This is approximately how much I burn with 30 seconds intensive rowing on the Ergo over in the SARC. How heavy are your arms @alfred_the_great ? ;)

Incidentally, I was always taught 7 marching paces as a chop distance...

6. If its a Crab or Pongo Officer don't salute at all, when they ask why say "Not on Nelsons Birthday Sir", they will quite happily wander off.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

If it's a Crab Officer, they probably won't have any headgear on anyhow, and will proffer some excuse about it being sucked into a jet intake....:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

ATG is a local boy from a local part of the country. Consequently not only are his three arms rather large, they are also weighed down by his 178 fingers on each hand.

More sensible answer - if you're close enough to make eye contact with them and you know they are there, then just salute. It costs nothing and can save you a world of grief.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Or being left in the hotel.......

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Another rule of thumb: if you're close enough for them to hear you say "good morning" without having to shout then salute, if they won't hear your greeting without shouting then don't.

Not saluting someone on the other side of the road depends upon the width of the road!

11. And on the person you're saluting.

Apparently me telling a Rear Admiral that we don't salute across the main drag in faslane was not the correct answer to "is there something wrong with your arms?"

• Like Like x 1
  12. And if that RAdm was the Prince of Darkness, I'm impressed your arms are still attached...

13. [​IMG]

14. Not sure who you're referring to Prince of darkness would sum him up fairly well.

15. Maybe he's referring to a RAdm who was skipper of one of my boats. Known as "Shotgun" on the boat due to the blood spatters in the control room after he'd had one of his daily "moments".:)

• Funny Funny x 1

16. Beastie?

17. Nope, this one is the present incumbant at Faslane, Jon W****

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. That's the one.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'm impressed you're still breathing :)

20. As am I - I've seen him in full flow. I was very, very glad I was no-where near the object of his "affection"...