Maths for engineering books

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by caldee22, Nov 4, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im joining as an AET and i feel the need to shape up on my maths a little (probably a lot) as its been about a year since iv'e really used it properly. Can anyone recommend any engineering based maths books and just general maths books that would help me do so.

2. Google Bird and May Maths books they were the ones I used, both at civvy college and once in.
    Amazon seems to have a good supply:
    OK for some reason it wont let me insert a link to Amazon but I just searched Bird and May Maths.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  3. nice one nesbitt!

4. Just don't tell anyone I have been helping a WAFU

5. i'll do my best

6. This has been done before, GCSE maths is fine, plus an understanding of OHMs Law.

You'll never need it mind you, not for work but maybe to work out what JPA had done to your wages!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. i think my wages are the only place i really use it anyway, i suddenly become super good at it as soon as i see a few quid missing!

8. Are these the ones you mean @RabC

9. No my search revealed a whole page of Bird and May maths books.
    I tried to do the link again and just get a link to the Amazon front page....... I give in but If OP searches Amazon for "Bird and May maths books" he'll find loads

10. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

11. thanks!

12. Any idea as to why I couldn't post a link?

13. Ageing_Gracefully

@RabC
    No idea as I don't know what you actually did, and even then probably don't have the knowledge base to understand. What I will do is explain my actions.

I firstly went to Amazon and got the authors page for these guys - just put in 'Bird and May books'. This put up the page with list of books.

I did not pick up any book, I just copied the URL from the top of the page i.e. www.Amazon etc

Then opened a new post/reply, clicked on the link icon and dropped the URL into the link box.

And hey presto! It magically appears as a link to the author page.

Hope this helps. If you did something similar then I am stumped!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ageing
    Cheers for taking the time to reply, what you did seems exactly then same as I did. All I can think is there was maybe a mess up using my iPad, I will try later with a link from my PC instead. Cheers for looking.
    RabC

15. I'd recommend Stroud as an introduction to Engineering Mathematics. I had the 3rd Edition until very recently when I lent it to a scrote of a Killick who "forgot" to return it.

16. Im joining as aet as well. Does anyone know anything about the exams I'll have to do at Sultan after Raleigh? Anyone who has actually done them?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ageing_Gracefully

As long as you remember the old rule you should be fine: If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem. Simples!

18. Why, what's the point. You'll do the modules and get examined on them. Modules and exams are changed all the time.

My son managed it Ok when he joined as an AEM (as it was then, called AET later) without any prior knowledge.

19. Oh the shame you must carry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Okay then