Maths - Flying Aptitude Test

Hey guys,

I have my FAT at RNAS Cranwell in January. I have a question specifically about the maths.

I've worked on my STD's and other basic arithmetic, pretty confident with them. However, on reading the notes of guidance there is mention of equation, graphs and also percentages. How in depth should I revise into this? I have not done any math's based work for some time.

Also, for the test is it worth looking into dead reckoning? Really an insight into the maths I should revise or brush up on is what I am looking for.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Wah ting

Hey dude,

I did my FATs in October this year and so I'll just give you my spin on things. There's obviously lots of threads for this already which are a good read.

For the tests I sat there wasn't any need for anything more than standard arithmatic and SDT, however EVERYTHING you do is under a degree of time pressure. You will be better off being able to quickly work through simple SDT while keeping calm. Somebody had posted a website that times you on these sorts of questions, if I find it I'll add it on.

A few other tips to note...
  • There is a lot of memory based tasks involved, find a strategy for remembering strings of digits while multitasking. It takes about 20 seconds for information to be transferred to your long term memory, I just repeated it until it stuck.
  • I would recommend playing some video games if you haven't already. If the feel of a joystick isn't completely alien to you it will give you a slight step up.
  • Really know your angles and bearings, the air traffic control scenario failed half of our intake alone. Again, time pressure is a biggie here and remember these targets are constantly moving.
  • Lastly make sure you enjoy it and relax. When you're there try and get to know the other candidates, have a drink, play some pool.
It will sound like a broken record by January, but these are aptitude tests. You have it or you don't. From chatting to the other candidates it seems the passrate was around 10% - 15%.

Hopefully that was helpful. First post!

Throw any other questions my way!

Hey dude,

I did my FATs in October this year and so I'll just give you my spin on things. There's obviously lots of threads for this already which are a good read.

For the tests I sat there wasn't any need for anything more than standard arithmatic and SDT, however EVERYTHING you do is under a degree of time pressure. You will be better off being able to quickly work through simple SDT while keeping calm. Somebody had posted a website that times you on these sorts of questions, if I find it I'll add it on.

A few other tips to note...
  • There is a lot of memory based tasks involved, find a strategy for remembering strings of digits while multitasking. It takes about 20 seconds for information to be transferred to your long term memory, I just repeated it until it stuck.
  • I would recommend playing some video games if you haven't already. If the feel of a joystick isn't completely alien to you it will give you a slight step up.
  • Really know your angles and bearings, the air traffic control scenario failed half of our intake alone. Again, time pressure is a biggie here and remember these targets are constantly moving.
  • Lastly make sure you enjoy it and relax. When you're there try and get to know the other candidates, have a drink, play some pool.
It will sound like a broken record by January, but these are aptitude tests. You have it or you don't. From chatting to the other candidates it seems the passrate was around 10% - 15%.

Hopefully that was helpful. First post!

Throw any other questions my way!
My Bold. The last bit is really important. I did my aptitude many - many moons ago at Biggin Hill and regarding the previous bullet points, you either know or don't!! (Practice before hand makes perfect).
But importantly, relax, enjoy it (getting along with other candidates helps a great deal), and have a long cool one. Not too many though!!!!!

I have my FAT at RNAS Cranwell in January.
I have my retake for the FATS this January as well, best thing to do is brush up on SDT and also learn the divisions of an hour i.e 5 X 12 minutes as this makes it alot faster..
would recommend https://www.humanbenchmark.com/dashboard for practicing reaction time and memory
good luck!
also general advice, bring snacks for during the breaks in the tests and be prepared to be frozen in the accommodation