Maths - Flying Aptitude Test

Hey guys,

I have my FAT at RNAS Cranwell in January. I have a question specifically about the maths.

I've worked on my STD's and other basic arithmetic, pretty confident with them. However, on reading the notes of guidance there is mention of equation, graphs and also percentages. How in depth should I revise into this? I have not done any math's based work for some time.

Also, for the test is it worth looking into dead reckoning? Really an insight into the maths I should revise or brush up on is what I am looking for.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Wah ting

royale678

Hey dude,

I did my FATs in October this year and so I'll just give you my spin on things. There's obviously lots of threads for this already which are a good read.

For the tests I sat there wasn't any need for anything more than standard arithmatic and SDT, however EVERYTHING you do is under a degree of time pressure. You will be better off being able to quickly work through simple SDT while keeping calm. Somebody had posted a website that times you on these sorts of questions, if I find it I'll add it on.

A few other tips to note...
  • There is a lot of memory based tasks involved, find a strategy for remembering strings of digits while multitasking. It takes about 20 seconds for information to be transferred to your long term memory, I just repeated it until it stuck.
  • I would recommend playing some video games if you haven't already. If the feel of a joystick isn't completely alien to you it will give you a slight step up.
  • Really know your angles and bearings, the air traffic control scenario failed half of our intake alone. Again, time pressure is a biggie here and remember these targets are constantly moving.
  • Lastly make sure you enjoy it and relax. When you're there try and get to know the other candidates, have a drink, play some pool.
It will sound like a broken record by January, but these are aptitude tests. You have it or you don't. From chatting to the other candidates it seems the passrate was around 10% - 15%.

Hopefully that was helpful. First post!

Throw any other questions my way!

Waspie

War Hero
Hey dude,

I did my FATs in October this year and so I'll just give you my spin on things. There's obviously lots of threads for this already which are a good read.

For the tests I sat there wasn't any need for anything more than standard arithmatic and SDT, however EVERYTHING you do is under a degree of time pressure. You will be better off being able to quickly work through simple SDT while keeping calm. Somebody had posted a website that times you on these sorts of questions, if I find it I'll add it on.

A few other tips to note...
  • There is a lot of memory based tasks involved, find a strategy for remembering strings of digits while multitasking. It takes about 20 seconds for information to be transferred to your long term memory, I just repeated it until it stuck.
  • I would recommend playing some video games if you haven't already. If the feel of a joystick isn't completely alien to you it will give you a slight step up.
  • Really know your angles and bearings, the air traffic control scenario failed half of our intake alone. Again, time pressure is a biggie here and remember these targets are constantly moving.
  • Lastly make sure you enjoy it and relax. When you're there try and get to know the other candidates, have a drink, play some pool.
It will sound like a broken record by January, but these are aptitude tests. You have it or you don't. From chatting to the other candidates it seems the passrate was around 10% - 15%.

Hopefully that was helpful. First post!

Throw any other questions my way!
My Bold. The last bit is really important. I did my aptitude many - many moons ago at Biggin Hill and regarding the previous bullet points, you either know or don't!! (Practice before hand makes perfect).
But importantly, relax, enjoy it (getting along with other candidates helps a great deal), and have a long cool one. Not too many though!!!!!

baldie

Midshipman
I have my FAT at RNAS Cranwell in January.
I have my retake for the FATS this January as well, best thing to do is brush up on SDT and also learn the divisions of an hour i.e 5 X 12 minutes as this makes it alot faster..
would recommend https://www.humanbenchmark.com/dashboard for practicing reaction time and memory
good luck!
also general advice, bring snacks for during the breaks in the tests and be prepared to be frozen in the accommodation

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
3 Alternatives in absence of GCSE English, Maths and Science Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS News story: Ofqual response to Pearson update on A level maths breach MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Allegations of wrongdoing in Edexcel A level maths paper MoD News 0
S RFA Deck Officer Cadet - Maths grade? RFA 8
MoD_RSS Press release: Cash incentives for maths and physics teachers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Shanghai maths exchange shows power of international partnership MoD News 0
G AET Maths Joining the Royal Navy 15
F Psychometric Test Help (Links to maths and physics help) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Hermes_R12 Maths, English and Computer Studies - NAMET ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
C Maths for engineering books The Fleet Air Arm 22
H Son Failed RT Maths any Tutor experiances. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
B AET Maths and Exams Etc. The Fleet Air Arm 13
J Question about the Maths part of the Psychometric test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
D Maths GCSE resit whilst serving The Quarterdeck 6
sanitarium Maths and English at Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D AET and Maths Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Aircrew maths The Fleet Air Arm 22
M maths and AET Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
M maths and english test ? The Corps 4
SILVER_FOX CURRENT AFFAIRS? - British Maths Teachings Over the years Current Affairs 1
LujonSA Maths prodigy Hobbies & The Great Indoors 8
A British Educational Standards - Maths The Quarterdeck 12
shotty13 Worried about maths - flight aptitude tests Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
K MATHS BOOKS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
K aet and maths Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil Somerset Live: Royal Navy 'Legend' Still Flying After 50 Years And 9,200 Hours In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 2
P ‘Creamy’ Flying Instructors The Fleet Air Arm 15
MoD_RSS High-flying young women and girls celebrated at Downing Street reception MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Airspace modernisation to make flying greener and more reliable as football fans travel to Madrid on busiest-ever day for flights MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Aviation minister meets airlines and allergy sufferers to improve flying for those with nut allergies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New aviation passenger charter to improve flying experience MoD News 0
onions Wasp still flying? The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS Speech: Flying through Fire and Ice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: £260m deal signed to keep RAF giants flying MoD News 0
TechFin When are Flying Aptitude Tests usually completed? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
TechFin When are Flying Aptitude Tests Usually Completed? The Fleet Air Arm 4
MoD_RSS News story: Drones – are you flying yours safely? (and legally?) MoD News 0
A What is the Flying Aptitude Test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Simon - Quest Magazine Want to keep flying? Here’s how … The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS News story: New Flying Display Directors (FDDs) Competence Framework MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New helicopter deal boosts UK's investment in military flying training to £2.8... MoD News 0
Trainer Army Navy Tickets: FLYING FOX Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 12
MoD_RSS News story: £1.1 billion investment by MOD in future military flying training MoD News 1
G The flying Lemon: more F35 / C&T bollocks The Gash Barge 13
MoD_RSS News story: Publication of Regulatory Notice (RN) regarding display flying MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Boeing flying high after signing the Armed Forces Covenant MoD News 0
joeG need help with preparing for flying aptitude test for AIRCREWMAN position The Fleet Air Arm 2
BE19Pilot Flying Naked Diamond Lil's 14
S HMS FORWARD AND FLYING FOX Royal Guard at dedication of Naval Memorial Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
soleil HMS Flying Fox - Channel 5 - Monday, April 14th 2014 - Gadget Show - 19:00 Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5