Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by krisbnt, Feb 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

For those of you who dont know I want to join the navy as an AET and get on the fast track if possible. Im looking for a good maths book so i can get good at the key principles before i go into the mob.

Can anyone tell me the key components of maths i should be looking at and possibly suggest a good book.

So far this is the only book that has been recommended
    Higher Engineering Mathematics by J.O. Bird
  2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Kris, a couple of things.
    If you just want to pass the RT to a high enough level for AET you need to be competent at GCSE to about the higher level, try this mock paper(open the higher paper), if you feel comfortable at this level you will p*ss the RT.

John Bird's book is in my opinion amongst the best, this is the level you will need to complete POAET's course, but they teach you to that level on the course ( currently anyway but I won't go into that).
  3. Hi chieftiff,
    Thanks for the advice. I passed the RT test about 2 years ago to be a weapons tiff but because i was overweight i failed the medical. Passed the interview and everything! yea i know what an IDIOT! This is my year though and hopefully i can get back into it. The dissapointment of missing out on the Tiff route now means i want to get onto the AET course and hopefully get myself selected for the fasttrack. Shall i grab a copy of this book off amazon and have a go at these modules then? You wont understand how much i want to suceed this year and as i get fit it would be good to sharpen my maths skills up! Am i right in thinking i should concentrate on calculus,trig, algebra etc?
    any more info would be gladly recieved mate
  4. I concur with the Chief - I've used the BBC Bitesize website and it's a good learning resource which includes tutorials, tests and mock exams.
  5. chieftiff

Kris. to be honest the more comfortable you are at GCSE level the better so I would concentrate on that, AET currently requires the highest RT pass mark amongst all the branches, if you can comfortably complete GCSE higher level you will have the confidence in the test and the competence to do well. Once you are in by all means buy the book and prepare yourself but no one expects you to be at this level until completion of POAET course, see my pm.
  6. Hi thanks for the PM i jsut read it. My RT is apparently vaild for 5 years so unless this has changed i wont have to do this again. All i was thinking was if i got to grips with these harder concepts before i went it would look good on myself. Then i may get picked for the fast track. But your right i will concentrate on the bbc site just do refresh myself (even though i shouldnt have to do the RT again) then maybe look at johns book later on in app stages
  7. chieftiff

No problem Kris, a little tip!

Whilst academics are very important to be selected for fast track (you need to do well in all your academic/ basic engineering subjects) something else worth thinking about. When selecting for fast track they are also looking for mature, responsible and keen people who display the potential to be a senior rating early in their career. Think about these things as well, always do your best in everything you do, it's easy to get sucked into the attitude of the younger lads of your entry, don't do it! set an example and show your maturity, there's plenty of time for p*ssing up just do it when it's appropriate
  8. lol I'm definitely buggered then if that's the level. It's not as though I'm dull - I could actually learn the material it's just I haven't learned it yet and won't be able to in time for the test! :???:
  9. What on earth do you need to know? Your questions (and there are lots) already imply what it is you need to learn and do. Just get on and do it. Am I the only one who is fed up with this mangement science approach to the forces i.e. (that means 'which is to say' for all you dumb fucks) give them targets and the means to achieve them? Management types abuse what the military is good at, one of which is being able to do the right thing in the absence of targets! How else would true leadership or alturuistic (unselfish, not measurable) things be possible on the field of battle?
  10. I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by management science, in terms of giving targets and the means to achieve them.
  11. RM2PhD are you having a bad day? I was under the impression that is what this site was for.......! If we cant ask questions whats the point of this site or the newbies section.