Maths and English at Raleigh?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by sanitarium, Nov 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I understand that at Raleigh I will have to take maths and english, what level is this to? I have just looked at the GCSE papers for maths from June this year and I can't believe this is what passes for an exam.

2. It's not a test of your genius, it's to ensure your not illiterate.

3. Not sure how it is now. I did a naval maths and English (NAMET) at Raleigh in '96. It was pretty basic and scored 1-9. 1 highest and 9 is bone. If you had GCSE it was classed as 0. If you cocked it up, you just got the p1ss ripped out of you and could re take it when you got to sea. Not sure how it goes now though, but believe it's LANTERN or something. Hope this helps a bit mate.

4. Yes you will have to take both Maths and English. The doc will usually prescribe 500 milligrams of each to start off with and then adjust your dose depending on your weight etc.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whilst undergoing Phase One training you will undergo a Basic Skills maths & English test IF you do not have GCSE maths & English at grade C or better already or cannot produce the certificate(s).

Those scoring low will undergo further tuition during training to meet the government minimum basic literacy & numeracy targets. It's not unique to the Navy & certainly nothing to worry about.

The only ones that need concern themselves about Basic Skills are those who's posts on here resemble a spilt can of alphabetti spaghetti.

6. will you have to do it you have key skills level 2 in english and maths?

7. Thanks for the quick replies.
    If this years GCSE exams are a good example of what to expect, then I can concentrate on the fitness side during basic and not be too distracted by worrying about the class work. I passed my original GCSE back in 89 and I don't recall it being this simplistic.

8. Are the tests the same ones that are carried out at the RNAC and if you pass those and take your results to Raleigh?

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

They are.

Otherwise anything less than GCSE's graded C or better in Maths & English usually mean you take the Basic Skills test - the advice to those holding any educational certificates is to take them all to Raleigh for verification.