maths and AET

masha35

Badgeman
Hi, asked about AEt before a month or so ago and after a lot of good advice took/passed the tests today.Firstly, thx for all the advice/help. Secondly, regarding maths.......obviously i realise hving passed the tests that im capable of passing the courses later at the minimum level, but im no great maths man and have always struggled a bit. Im worried that i may do ok but never do really well in some exams. Will this always hold me back for promotion, or is that baesd on your work performance in equal measures. i mean lets say im mid table in some exams but a really good tech at deck level(so to speak), does that give me a fair crack at getting promoted up and up, or will the top exam takers always get ahead of you, even though they may only be better academics?

Also, i know you have to pass phase 1/2 etc to get to a certain rank/level but do you keep taking more and more progressively nightmarish exams to get further prmoted, or is the promotion later based more on exp/performance etc? Again, i worry ill get to mid level and then just freak if they start asking for more and more complex successes in engineering blah blah maths/physics.

Anyway, its one thing being able to meet minimum requirements but another thing to really make a success out of it........i relaise its competitive but juist hope tht maths wont bring my whole career down cos i wasnt ace at it, whilst maybe being good at other things instead.......

thx in advance....

masha35

Badgeman
sorry, also....is promotion something you can go for after a certain time after certain certs have been acquired etc and then if you pass X exam you have that promotion(ie 10 candidates fulfill criteria/time srved/certs etc and are earmarked for promotion at that time of their careers for 10 slots)?

or is it very competitive...ie 20 candidates for 2 spots and only top scorers get them etc and rest are left dangling(i realise at very top that may be the case but is it right the from beginning)?

Gunner23

Badgeman
M,

The requirements for promotion etc is a very complex subject, and varies from branch to branch. For that reason I won't get into it too deep, however I will say that you should not be concerned about your maths ability provided you have passed the relevant aptitude test. Again, a weak maths ability would not prevent promotion provided that you have passed the relevant exam. There are also many other factors involved such as your 'hands-on' ability, as you said, which would be reflected in a report given by your divisional officer. There is also a lot to be said for someone that recognises a weakness in themselves and actively seeks to improve it.

Without wanting to sound patronising, you may also surprise yourself when you get into the 'RN training environment' and find actually that it is not such a problem after all.

All the best.

slim

War Hero
First of all congratulations on passing your maths.
Now don't give up on the education, continue studying maths until you reach at least GCSE grade 1 level (maybe a little higher).
This will help you when you eventually do Leading Hands qualifying course.

masha35

Badgeman
Im a bit relieved to hear what you are saying and it makes a lot of sense. I know noone can prefict i will be ok, but its nice to hear solid , clear thoughts on the matter. Ill try to concentrate on being pleased about passing today instead of worrying and being a bore. Its just a big commitment and i dont want to end up swimming aimlessly in the lower ranks for yearsand being very frustrated....hopefully that will not happen :)

Nice people at the afco too and the job is very appealing........thx for help.............are u serving at moment?

Waspie

War Hero
Well done on your passing for AET. I was an old NAM, same thing but in old money. No ed quals to my name but made it OK.

Have confidence in your abilities.

Play to your strengths and work on your weaknesses. If your weakness is maths then spend a little more time on the subject and you will do fine.

If things get tough, my way of dealing with it was to identify the class idiot and think if that git can do it then so can I.

Good luck for the future.

malspal

Lantern Swinger
Congratulations on the Maths. Now I am not being pickie, but would suggest brushing up on the English. You will find that reading and writing are used more than maths. If you write in the Mod Form 700 in txt you will not be very popular.

I take it there is still a Mod Form 700 you guys that are serving?

scouse

War Hero
Joint_Force_Harrier said:
If you end up on Harriers, only maths skill required is totaling the coffee boat at the end of the week.
:roll: And not touching anything painted Black/Yellow :lol: :lol:

slim

War Hero
Joint_Force_Harrier said:
If you end up on Harriers, only maths skill required is totaling the coffee boat at the end of the week.

Correct
However to pass any course above that of OD will require a good grounding in Maths. Don'tknow about the Mechanical world but in the Electrical world, trig, algebra and for some reaon something called j notation seemed to enter into. :p

masha35

Badgeman
well i suppose doing an online course in engineering maths would be a nice idea while Im waiting around. It certainly cant hurt anyway. Incidentally, 'picky' is not spelt 'pickie':)

cheers for all the advice