Mathematical Conversation Starters

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by HarryBosch, Apr 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just been reading a couple of reviews of a book called 777 Mathematical Conversation Starters. See here (the reviews are down the bottom and quite weird):

Here is one of the reviews:

'Instructive, amusing, provocative, and insidiously addictive, 777 Mathematical Conversation Starters serves up ample fodder for feeding mathematics into .... cocktail-party chatter.’

mmm? .. Can any of our RumRationers provide us with amusing examples or experiences of using maths to open conversations at a cocktail party?
  2. Just what we always wanted.
    Suppose you could say to that nice little thing down the road "I reckon I have a 60% chance of getting into your nicks, mathematically speaking of course" .
  3. You know 76.8% of all statistics are made up!
  4. And that there is a 10% chance she is a lesbian.
  5. Hi Jenny, I may not be the best looking guy here, but I'm the only one talking to you.
  6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

there's a 100% chance I fcuk on first dates.......
  7. wet_blobby

....and a 5% chance of achieving that statistic
  8. You may as well shag me because I'm going to tell everybody we did it anyway.
  9. wet_blobby

promise to give me a reach around?? :lol:
  10. I'm sure I've seen it on here but; there are just 10 sorts of people: those that understand binary and those that don't.
  11. What !!!!!!!! :D
  12. Well some of us know which category you fall into.
  13. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've seen it in here, too. I ws going to nick it for my web page. Still might :lol:
  14. Its on someones signature, cant remember who's.
  15. (In Lils) Hi, love. Can I ask you something? If mathematics is simply the abstraction of our intuitions about the physical world, then why is it so universal? Surely each mathematician would then develop a personal mathematics from their own intuitions and claims of mathematical objectivity would become muddied. Equally one can ask why it is that a rejection of spatial intuition, on purely logical grounds, such as that of Euclid's fifth postulate, should lead to mathematics that is surprisingly more applicable rather than less? Anyway, fancy a dance later?
  16. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If I buy you a drink will you show me your hypotenuse.....
  17. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

and after that perhaps you fancy coming back to my place so we could consider a potential function along with its equipotential curves and the streamlines of the gradient field of the potential. While you give me a blow job....
  18. Im 100% sure its on The Matelot's signature.............(welll unless he changes it)
  19. That sounds right to me, cheers Josie.
  20. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Unfortunately only a Mathematician or Physicist would know what you were talking about (it's a very special number and worthy of a good conversation) In my experience there aren't many attractive mathematicians or physicists!