Matelots Tidfers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by trelawney126, Oct 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Isn't it about time we discarded the "milk churn" hats worn by both male and female matelots. They tend to make Jack look like an absolute pillock. They look even worse when worn by females
    The headwear worn by senior rates is appropriate, and female senior rates wear the equivilent.
    I Believe that when they modernised the rig they missed a great opportunity to get rid of the hat and substituted it with something more appropriate.

2. [​IMG]
    We could utilise one of these and have the ships crest painted on the front and a mini White Ensign flying from the pointy bit.

3. ==============================================================

==============================================================

Trelawnmower:

I note that you have landed that new job as the RR Fashion Critic (West) and I therefore claim my free burberry lining !

4. Almost correct. Therefore second prize of "Wanchi Burberry" on its way. Complete with the bad weather to road test it :-D

5. Isn't it 'titfer' - from the cockerney rhyming slang tit-for-tat? Agree they are a bit shit, but what options are there? Not the God awful yank things?

6. As long as we don't end up wearing baseball caps ill be happy.

or this Gunther:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

7. ====================================================================

====================================================================

@ 0:24 (Just like that!)

Tommy Cooper - The "Hats" Sketch - YouTube

8. I had to look like an Edwardian Child, today's JRs can do so as well.

9. The Australian Anti Drop Bear hat

10. Whilst on deployment in the Windies we had a bunch of bananas hanging up in the mess square. Adorning the top was a French Matelots cap complete with feminine red pom pom (red fluffy thing) not to be confused with the Pom Poms Granny used to play with.
    Needless to say jack used to return from his cultural run ashore, and end up doffing the stalk of bananas. Something about the French Matelots hats just says "Come on Jack, try and hit me".
    So in essence I don't think they ought to be designed by someone French.

11. They tend to have a sense of humour faliure if you nick the pom poms off their hats!!

12. Titfers

13. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

" not to be confused with the Pom Poms Granny used to play with."

Winding wool around a cardboard milk bottle top....what fun we had during the war. Almost as much fun as knitting squares, the whole family sat around the kitchen table, listening to Alvar Liddell read the 9 oclock news.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  14. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Did I just hi-jack this thread ? Sorry.

15. Since they got rid of the white front in favour of tropical shirts they might as well get rid of the milk churn cap and keep it for No1 uniform only as well. Or, if I had my way, I'd bring back the white front worn with trousers so our sailors look more like sailors and less like parking attendants.

16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

They haven't. White fronts are still worn as and when necessary. No. 3 shirts, in my opinion, are much smarter (and more practical) than white fronts when worn as part of night clothing/non-working dress.

Glad you haven't.

17. Let's be honest, the "Royal Navy" JR eppaulette was only intorduced because the RN was losing identity in the public eye. If you put a lad out selling poppies in a white front civvies will recognise him as a sailor. Put him out in a trop shirt and he could be anyone.

Agreed trop shirts are more comfortable, but then again so are polo-shirts or t-shirts and in a messdeck they look smart.

I did say they kept the white front with No's 1 by the way (that was the as well bit) :)

18. Maybe we could have trade related hats - see if you can join the trade to the hat:

Caterer
    SMR
    Chef
    Diver
    METOC

Attached Files:

19. How about this. Both sensible and practical
    [​IMG]