MAtelots in the RN

#3
higthepig said:
Yes mate, they have a William Hill`s Bookie and a seven screen cinema on every Warship. FFS are you taking the piss?
it is possible Hig....
next to the Ballard room just next to the pool
 

Dicky

Lantern Swinger
#7
Join Boats mate, you can place a bet on the fact that if you do the wrong thing you will probably die and take your mates with you...focus your mind on the job and BUFFS....
 
#8
rwilliams_006 said:
I'm just wondering does every matelot go to the bookies quite often n the cinema?
Try using your imagination - does everyone who works for Asda go to the bookies quite often?
 
#11
rwilliams_006 said:
I'm just wondering does every matelot go to the bookies quite often n the cinema?
Ah, sweet memories of having a Bob or two on the Stokers during the Fleet Regatta.
And who can forget those cries of 'Good 'ole Fred' from the quartedeck film show.

Happy days.

Jerry
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#14
Funnily enough, I was always told it was illegal to gamble in the Navy. Unless we were playing Tombola over the SRE*, Horse Racing on the flightdeck (all for "charidee" - not) or merely risking lives at war. Other than that - never. Unless there was a bookies nearby or the Grand National sweepstake or the sweepstake for several cans of beer if you got the Captains Defaulters/Warrant Reading punishment bang-on. The only other one that springs to mind is the Sweepstake on which excuse the weapons engineers would use when the sea wolf, sea dart, sea cat or any other missiles missed their target on a practice shoot. ("Out of date ordnance" usually won the day)

With regard films there was always the legendary flightdeck movie when in the tropics - projected onto the hangar door with the audio out of sync by 0.5 seconds or the other Naval tradition of asking all your messmates which film they wanted to watch & then putting a completely different one on the telly.


* Ship's Radio Equipment - our own radio station.
 

J.J.

Midshipman
#15
Ninja_Stoker said:
Funnily enough, I was always told it was illegal to gamble in the Navy. Unless we were playing Tombola over the SRE*, Horse Racing on the flightdeck (all for "charidee" - not) or merely risking lives at war. Other than that - never. Unless there was a bookies nearby or the Grand National sweepstake or the sweepstake for several cans of beer if you got the Captains Defaulters/Warrant Reading punishment bang-on. The only other one that springs to mind is the Sweepstake on which excuse the weapons engineers would use when the sea wolf, sea dart, sea cat or any other missiles missed their target on a practice shoot. ("Out of date ordnance" usually won the day)

With regard films there was always the legendary flightdeck movie when in the tropics - projected onto the hangar door with the audio out of sync by 0.5 seconds or the other Naval tradition of asking all your messmates which film they wanted to watch & then putting a completely different one on the telly.
Remarkably accurate if I may say. Aah, happy memories..... :D
 

(granny)

Banned
Book Reviewer
#16
Ninja_Stoker said:
Funnily enough, I was always told it was illegal to gamble in the Navy. Unless we were playing Tombola over the SRE*, Horse Racing on the flightdeck (all for "charidee" - not) or merely risking lives at war. Other than that - never. Unless there was a bookies nearby or the Grand National sweepstake or the sweepstake for several cans of beer if you got the Captains Defaulters/Warrant Reading punishment bang-on. The only other one that springs to mind is the Sweepstake on which excuse the weapons engineers would use when the sea wolf, sea dart, sea cat or any other missiles missed their target on a practice shoot. ("Out of date ordnance" usually won the day)

With regard films there was always the legendary flightdeck movie when in the tropics - projected onto the hangar door with the audio out of sync by 0.5 seconds or the other Naval tradition of asking all your messmates which film they wanted to watch & then putting a completely different one on the telly.


* Ship's Radio Equipment - our own radio station.
When we used to have Fleet Regatta's the ships used to run a proper betting 'tote' on all the races. Mind you we only had pence to bet with in those days. All quite legal.
 
#20
Cates said:
PINCH said:
higthepig said:
Yes mate, they have a William Hill`s Bookie and a seven screen cinema on every Warship. FFS are you taking the piss?
it is possible Hig....
next to the Ballard room just next to the pool

Things certainly have changed then!!! :happy3:
A room set aside JUST to sing ballards! :razz: The accoustics must be good!

I hope there's a Billiards Room for the lads and a pool for skinny dipping for the lasses! :twisted:
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts