MAtelots in the RN

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by rwilliams_006, Apr 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm just wondering does every matelot go to the bookies quite often n the cinema?
  2. Yes mate, they have a William Hill`s Bookie and a seven screen cinema on every Warship. FFS are you taking the piss?
  3. it is possible Hig....
    next to the Ballard room just next to the pool
  4. lol i wasn't talking about on a ship hig, i was on about in Portsmouth
  5. No more than any other person who wants to give his money away
  6. I bet you '5 to 1' on that many on here will regard that as a 'fcuking stupid question' :)
  7. Join Boats mate, you can place a bet on the fact that if you do the wrong thing you will probably die and take your mates with you...focus your mind on the job and BUFFS....
  8. Try using your imagination - does everyone who works for Asda go to the bookies quite often?
  9. well no not exactly
  10. Defend this one, Tiddlyoggy. :roll:
  11. Ah, sweet memories of having a Bob or two on the Stokers during the Fleet Regatta.
    And who can forget those cries of 'Good 'ole Fred' from the quartedeck film show.

Happy days.

12. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

As my old Dad used to say, "It's a wise man who knows when he's beaten"! :lol: :lol:
  13. Some of us used to go to the dogs every once in a while but it wasn't regular nor did we see the whole fleet lol
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Funnily enough, I was always told it was illegal to gamble in the Navy. Unless we were playing Tombola over the SRE*, Horse Racing on the flightdeck (all for "charidee" - not) or merely risking lives at war. Other than that - never. Unless there was a bookies nearby or the Grand National sweepstake or the sweepstake for several cans of beer if you got the Captains Defaulters/Warrant Reading punishment bang-on. The only other one that springs to mind is the Sweepstake on which excuse the weapons engineers would use when the sea wolf, sea dart, sea cat or any other missiles missed their target on a practice shoot. ("Out of date ordnance" usually won the day)

With regard films there was always the legendary flightdeck movie when in the tropics - projected onto the hangar door with the audio out of sync by 0.5 seconds or the other Naval tradition of asking all your messmates which film they wanted to watch & then putting a completely different one on the telly.

* Ship's Radio Equipment - our own radio station.
  15. Remarkably accurate if I may say. Aah, happy memories..... :D
  16. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

When we used to have Fleet Regatta's the ships used to run a proper betting 'tote' on all the races. Mind you we only had pence to bet with in those days. All quite legal.
  17. Mess deck horse racing ! Memories, memories !!!
  18. Concur

19. Things certainly have changed then!!! :happy3:
  20. A room set aside JUST to sing ballards! :razz: The accoustics must be good!

I hope there's a Billiards Room for the lads and a pool for skinny dipping for the lasses! :twisted: