Massive Machines Submarines

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by rod-gearing, Sep 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone see tonights programme on Channel 5
    Very interesting but spoilt by bad sync of the verbals.
    Sorry state of the Alliance from what I could see,dont they paint it?
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I think that it is the next big project for the Museum, expensive hobby I would imagine.
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Just paint it topcoat grey, like the rest of The Fleet... 8O :wink:
  4. S P B

I am not certain of the use of the word "Fleet" most dictionaries indicate this to means a group of ships under one command. A dozen ships spread round the Globe under command from an office in UK hardly warrants the title Fleet.

"What colour matt black would you like your submarine Sir?"
    "Piss off Scratcher"
    "Dusty, get us 20 gals of matt black, four rollers and four 4" paint brushes"

Now they did paint one blue a year or two ago what happened to that experiment??????????????????????????????

PS: Why is it in 2007 with few ships the word "Fleet" is used all the time in the RN both in verbal and written articles. in the 60's/70's when we had loads of ships in all Oceans the word Fleet was rarely if ever used in day to day conversation or on paper within the RN ????????????????????????????????
  5. Won't be long before the Submarine Service outnumbers the surface Flotilla. Mind you I like the look of them there new Daring class. A periscope watchkeepers dream that silhouette. Besides the MOD has already decided to fool the taxpayers and keep the numbers up by (slowly) painting the T boats blue.
    A life under the ocean la, la la, la, laaaa la laaaaaaaaaa.
    (think that's enough levity - ed.)
  6. What's the betting they use shark repellant paint :pukel:
    geoff(ers) :nemo:
  7. sgtpepperband

Nutty: Naval Fleet:

Sarcasm in my original post obviously lost in translation... so have a wet! (Oh, sorry - wrong site! 8O :wink: )

8. Wot we need is Emoticons that indicates Sarcasm and Irony. That should sort it.

10. sgtpepperband

11. Pretty sure that there were boats painted blue for Mediterranean operations during WW2 - any historians that can confirm ? Nutty ?
  12. Yes

13. So why were boats painted sand brown and a darker brown when the waters in the Gulf, Red Sea and Indian ocean are very clear and blue.

Oh a good photo opportunity that helped GW1 then.

So is Torbay still blue or returned to Matt black or now sandy and dark brown?????

PS American battleships used to be painted white it did not mean it was a good idea.

White Fleet

PPS All USN Boats use to be mid grey now its charcoal or black.
  14. There was a yellow one once,or I am on LSD again?
  15. ...and a pink one too!!!
  16. I can vouch for the fact the Torbay is indeed still blue and as far as I'm aware is staying that way.
  18. Torbay I saw somewhere is going to have her blue covering extended to all the boat and not just the upper surface.
  19. Spearfish

PMSL. I thought it was only chavs in the high street that had camo that bluee colour.

20. I can't see it. What does it look like. As it's so good and it obviously is 'cos it's disappeared from my screen shouldn't it have the Grimes light flashing!?