Massive Breaking News - is this the end now?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by NotmeChief, Jun 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A direct letter telling him to bugger off:

Dear Gordon,
    We both love the Labour Party. I have worked for it for twenty years and you for far longer. We know we owe it everything and it owes us nothing.
    I owe it to our Party to say what I believe no matter how hard that may be. I now believe your continued leadership makes a Conservative victory more, not less likely.
    That would be disastrous for our country. This moment calls for stronger regulation, an active state, better public services, an open democracy. It calls for a Government that measures itself by how it treats the poorest in society. Those are our values, not David Cameron's.
    We therefore owe it to our country to give it a real choice. We need to show that we are prepared to fight to be a credible Government and have the courage to offer an alternative future.
    I am therefore calling on you to stand aside to give our Party a fighting chance of winning. As such I am resigning from Government.
    The Party was here long before us, and we want it to be here long after we have gone. We must do the right thing by it.
    I am not seeking the leadership, nor acting with anyone else. My actions are my own considered view, nothing more. If the consensus is that you should continue, then I will support the Government loyally from the backbenches. But I do believe that this question now needs to be put.
    Thank you for giving me the privilege of serving.
    Rt Hon James Purnell MP
  2. Labour can only rely on 16% support according to the latest YouGov poll.

However, Gordon Brown's personal rating hit 100% in a YouCunt poll.
  3. LMFAO :lol:
  4. Well I heard some depressing new last night, a Pofessor of Politics said he though that Gordon would not hold an electiion until the very last day possible, ie we have another full year to go. I must admit that having watched him a few times recently have difficulty in facing up to the truth and reality I fear that it seams unlikely that Gordon will take the hint.
  5. And we get rid of Labour and then get who or what? A party that has already clearly said its' next term of office would be a time of austerity aka higher taxes.
    For my tuppence worth I think we live in dangerous times when, if we are not very careful indeed, and I don't say we should stick with what we've got, then some really dangerous people could get into positions of power.
    Getting rid is fine but what about the alternative?
  6. I think most people with the smallest ammount of CDF realise we are going to have to pay back all the dosh Gordon has frittered away. The real question is how soon do we start the pain. In my view the sooner you start the quicker it is over and the less painfull it is.
  7. We will get higher taxes and austerity whichever party gets in. It's the price of unregulated lending that has taken place over the last 15 years. Followed by the record number of bankrupts who have acted totally irresponsibly using government regulations to escape paying back their debts.
    The sensible working person is now going to have to pay for the irresponsible.
  8. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Sure. The whole house of cards is falling now. Does anyone have firm details about how Cameron's lot (or Clegg's, for that matter) would bail us out of the slump, regenerate faith in political institutions, level out poverty and the plunging trend in people heading from employment to Job Centre, wind up operations overseas, chase down non-dom taxdodgers, eliminate violent crime, improve healthcare facilities to the general public, reinstate classroom authority and empowerment of schools and solve the cancer that afflicts the armed forces? These are the issues I am interested in. I couldn't give a fat rat's dick about who else resigns now, or how much some overstuffed turd with a degree in humanities who sits as representitive for Scrotum East because daddy is a company director for some ludicrous firm which employs Indonesian dawrfs has spent on his penis enlargemewnt. Job is effectively done now, and it is now up to the country tro press this shower of lame-arsed chimps to go to the polls and impress the feck out of us or they die. I want to see all parties cards on the table please. I want to see what they have to offer to coax my vote out of me. None of them so far have done anything but cover their own six-o'clock whilst sniggering at the afflicted. They are ALL unworthy in my eyes. Until proven otherwise.

9. Maxi, Slim I fear that you are both right.
    Bad news follows. :(
  10. I'm not that certain that a lot of people really do realise the utter shite the country is in, in fact almost totally broke, nor that a lot of people are posessed of much CDF. Can this all be blamed on the government? What sort of responsibility do others take, the ones who got themselves loaded up with debt.
    The level of personal debt in the UK is the highest in the world, yet with an average salary of what, around the 20k mark, how than this possibly work.
    It's going to be a long old haul. 8O
  11. I'm afraid you are going to have to wait until an election is called before all the parties actually tell you what they plan to do if elected. It has always been thus and particulalrly these days with Gordon being so anpt at copying Call me Dave and pretending it is his own idea. Equally Call me Daves mob will not be able to see the 'books' until an election is called so cannot say what their financial policy will be.

The greatest shame of all is that 12 years of NuLabor misrule has left polititians in this country with moral standing of a street corner tout.
  12. Thai is very very true, the few things that have been spoken so far have all been stolen by Brown and claimed as his idea.

It might be a good idea to remind people of this.

And all he did was that sickly smirk

Who said it is not important.
  13. Our current situation has been created by the Labour Party, not the Tories, not the Lib Dems, not the Monster Raving Loony Party, not UKIP not the Greens, THE LABOUR PARTY. They inherited a thriving economy and right royally fcuked it up. The last time they were in power they brought the country to its knees and then left the incoming Conservative government with years of painful rebuilding to do, which they eventually did successfully, until they were undone by sleeze.

The Labour Party is a party traditionally & ideologically known for imposing higher levels of tax on the population, and thanks to their overall policies and mismanagement we find ourselves in the mess we are in. As Slim says, we will get higher taxes and austerity whichever party gets in, and that's because there will be no choice, it has been forced upon us by this government. Treating the symptoms will not be enough, you first need to remove the cause, and that's the Labour Party. The Labour Party will never, never, never create the levels of economic wealth that Bliar and NuLiabor inherited, it goes against their genetic make-up, and any incoming replacement government, Tories or otherwise, will face a monumental rebuilding task.

Last night James Purnell quit as works and pensions secretary, this morning John Hutton resigned as Defence Secretary. He's the fourth to go this week. Nobody wants to work for Brown, they are voting with their feet. Soon he'll be dragging tramps in off the street to fill cabinet posts.
  14. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I think that the lack of personal responsibility displayed by many is symptomatic of the government's approach - New Liebore has positively encouraged people to abrogate their responsibilities to the "state". Centralisation of power and government control (the nanny state in other words) are the direct opposite of personal responsibility. The Bliar/Broon project has shaped society and is as much to blame for the lack of responisibility being taken as it is for the huge deficit.

A more interesting figure would be thae average salary excluding public sector workers - what's the true value of "real money" in the economy which hasn't be redistributed from other tax-payers.
  15. They will be able to make a film about this, a few titles, The Rise and Fall of the (Roman)Brown Empire, Titanic oops they have already done that one. It will be interesting to see who else jumps, I doubt if the bum lickers like Straw and Darling will have the courage of their convictions and balls to act.
  16. Are you saying that individuals who have taken on too much debt can now, almost totally place that blame on the government?
    Don't get me wrong, my polictics are not pro Labour, nor pro Conservative. But I think to place the entire problem solely at the feet of any government cannot be right. Yet still a great many people seem to be in that large Egyptian river when it comes to facing up to the problems they have caused themselves.
  17. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

I'd say it's more the greed culture of the nation, to be honest. The public like politicians who drive down the tax bill and keep the cost of running the country down to a bare minimum. Of course, when certain governmental departments are merged and assets disposed of in subsequent budgetary runs and they are left wanting coupled with the ambivalence regarding the amount of illegal people residing in the country and benefitting from a lax system you get this 'Bloody hell!' attitude. Fact is, (and I'm part of the problem here) the more you get, the more you want. On the flipside, you can't run a country on bobbins and goodwill. We live in an expensive country, beset with xenophobia and mistrust of our European neighbours, constantly keeping up with the Joneses over the pond and trying vainly to live down our imperial past. Whilst we are doing this, we the public want our taxes to be rock bottom whilst we fill our homes with 50" plasmas and have a new motor every three years on tick. This is of course billox, because to have a credible welfare system, medical facilities, defence, policing and education (all of which governmental responsibilities), we need to make the people pay for it, make the elected government accountable and stop pretending that we can run it on fumes and someday some rich company will take over the reins for profit.

18. I would say that about sums it up Levers...I'd disagree on a point or two but you have the balls of it.
  19. No, that is not exactly what I am saying, the point I am trying to make is that the ruin of the NATIONAL economy and finances is the result of government policies, although I agree in part with what Flagwagger says.

The individual must take responsibility for their own personal overspending but too many people suffer from the "it's somebody else's fault, not mine" attitude. I believe that many problems stem from 'Political Correctness' to flog a well worn-out phrase. That was an ideology that seeped its way across the pond from our colonial cousins and has afflicted us ever since. It started off by creating neutral terminology ie 'manhole covers' became 'personnel access plates', 'blackboards' became 'chalk boards' etc. It chipped away at our language preventing people speaking plainly, you couldn't call a spade a spade, (it's a personnel operated earth moving instrument). You couldn't refer to someone's gender, sexuality, religion, race, etc. A black person was no longer black but 'a person of colour'. Well, so am I. My colour is white. so what? We now have a fear of opening our mouths in case we upset someone's sensibilities. Fortunately some of us have thicker skins than that but the thought police are watching.

Along with PC, we imported from the US of A the lawsuit culture. If Joe Bloggs walked down the street and tripped over, it wasn't his fault for being a clumsy twat and not looking where he was going, but the council's fault for not making the paving slabs millimetre perfect. Somebody bought a cup of coffee in a fast food chain and burnt themselves after spilling it. Was it their own fault for being clumsy? No, it was the fault of the fast food chain for using hot water to make a hot drink.

Things have steadily got worse until it seems that it's now considered normal to blame someone else and for people not take responsibility for their own actions.

The Blair government could have quashed this attitude had it wished but didn't which is why I agree with FW in that Bliar/Broon and NuLiabour should take some of the responsibility.

Are we really xenophobic as a nation? (I've never met any Xenos and I'm certainly not afraid of them :D ) I think we have a pretty good track record of tolerence to other cultures and have always provided a safe haven for those suffering persecution. Yes, we do live in an expensive country when you compare us to some of the other European countries, but I don't think it is a mistrust of those peoples that we have, in so much as a mistrust of the politicians and ruling elite. The British have their own culture and traditions which feel as if they are being eroded in favour of a sterile, all encompassing, European identity. I like that diversity, those differing traditions and ways of life.

Sadly, we have a government that feels guilty and full of self loathing of our Imperial past and has sought to appologise to all and sundry at every opportunity for events that happened hundreds of years ago. That Imperial past brought many benefits around the world, and yes a lot of problems too, but that is the way of all great empires. Long gone are the days when "the sun never set on the British Empire", it is as much part of the past as the Roman Empire, but we who are living shouldn't be made to feel guilty or appologise for the actions of our forefathers, and we certgainly shouldn't be trying to keep up with the Jonses over the pond, as you put it.