Mason,Buffalo or Another?

Discussion in 'History' started by fishhead, Nov 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I've been told, by a fairly good authority, that it's most probably buffalos.

2. Was he a PO Cabbage Mechanic as I see he is wearing an apron?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

3. Daintree Lodge - History
    The fifty three petitioners who formed the lodge in 1902 were drawn from either,ships of the
    China Fleet and service personnel based on
    Liu Kung Tao and itflourished on the island until the crisis in Europe in 1939 led to the relocation ofunits to other operational areas and the subsequent closure of the
    Masonic Hall andtransfer of the lodge to Hong Kong. It successfully operated there until the Colonywas overrun by the Japanese forces in December 1941.

Following the surrender of the Japanese in 1945, the lodge was not revived alongwith the other lodges in the colony, due to the dispersal of the majority of itsmembers and there seemed no alternative but to return the warrant to Grand Lodge.However, through the efforts of past members serving

4. Thankyou for that Tiddly. If that is the case can your source shed light on the sash which says something like "ROM Queen of the fair** and there is similar writings on the big cuffs(?). As I said I know nothing about societies like the Buffs but am intrigued by this particular photo.

5. tiddlyoggy

My mate couldn't make out the inscription on the cuffs, neither could I. He added "roll of honour" after Buffalos, doesn't mean much to me, but he generally knows his stuff. He's a fairly high ranking mason and a bit of a history buff. (no pun intended!)

6. There are grades (sort of ranks) the lowest being Brother, then Primo (I think) then Knight and then Roll of Honour. RoH are generally long serving lodge members. Could be Buffaloes but the rug he is standing on has some strange markings. Course if this was pre 1933 then things could have changed a lot. There were lots of RAOB military lodges around the world, my own being William Tilley in Gib in the 60s,.. :glasses6:

To add; the KOM is "Knight Order of Merit" though I would imagine the "Queen of the Fairies" to be a lodge name

Ooops, edited for correction

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  7. .

Wasn't Fred Flintstone a "buffalo" ?

8. tiddlyoggy

No, just a cartoon character, sorry to break the news that he's not real..........

9. I can't quite make out what's on the sash but could it not be "Queen of the Far East" considering his location?

10. tiddlyoggy

Wrecks, I agree with bollotom, looks like "Queen of the Fairies" to me. Perhaps a reference to the Arthurian work, The Faerie Queene?

11. Grand PooPaa I gather now.

12. tiddlyoggy

Romany, Emma calls him "Grand Master Flash". How are you, by the way?

13. TO, Titania, Queen of the Fairies is from Shakespeares A Midsummer Nights Dream.

14. tiddlyoggy

Wrecks; I know. I wasn't previously aware of the Titania connection until bollotom mentioned it, after my post. Do pay attention old chap!

15. Sorry TO, this 'puter is so slooooww and I'm not even on Dii yet (but that's another thread!).

16. tiddlyoggy

Just wait until you are Dii'd!!!!!!!

17. I'll answer that tomorrow, RLI rools ok :)

18. The submarine depot ship HMS Titania was purchased by the Admiralty in 1915. Oddly enough, she took a flotilla of L-class submarines out to the China Station in 1921 and remained there until 1929. During the Second World War, she famously supported the X-craft miniature submarines and was broken up at Faslane in 1949.