MA's on promotion

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by fredflinstone, Jun 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Given our government has seen fit to close what were excellent service hospitals and with precious few capital ships and no hospital ships --What happens to M.A.'s on being commissioned.
    SBA's became Wardmasters but with no wards to master what becomes of promoted MA's?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

They transfer to the Army (lead medical) or transfer to a trade other than Medical Assistant.

Odds are if they had the required GCSE's (O Levels) to become an Officer - 5 GCSE's grade C & better including maths & english from within the Service, then they may well have joined as a Naval Nurse, qualified, done two years clinical experience then applied to be a nursing officer.

Interestingly you need to be better qualified at GCSE & A level standard to join as a Nurse rather than the basic requirement for officer (except graduate entry officers).

Hope that helps Norm.
  3. MA's and Med Techs could go SD in my day.In fact there is a certain Lt Cdr(SD) that was an MA in training with me!Beats the crap out of me how he passed hia MA's let alone a Lt Cdr!PMSL
  4. Thanks for that though I'm not sure I thoroughly understand . Are you saying that Medical Assistants in the navy do not have
    5 GCSE's at gradeC or better? Surely everyone has that?
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A good trolling effort Norm, BZ! :thumright:
  6. Are you saying they don't?
    My solicitor daughter has assured me you can buy them on E Bay. She is inclined to exaggerate sometimes. however.
  7. Thats probably where she got her degree, Norm. Or is she on the game?
  8. U are a strange one fred!!!
    You have a solicitor daughter, yet you have been in the navy only 3 months,

PostIt's all too much
    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
    Been in the navy three months and never spent a Christmas at home.
    My Mom 'phones every day.

no christmas' at home AND your Mom phones every day--- hmmmmmmmmmmmm i smell a distinct whiff off Bulls**t!!
  9. Submarine MAs can and do get promoted and become Health Physics managers, there are a few other roles they fill as well. Numbers are not great but there is an avenue.
  10. MAs who are recommended are commissioned as Medical Services Officers (MSOs), in a similar manner to the Army. They rarely have clinical roles, rather work in medical management and logistics. A couple are Environmental Health too.

Not unknown for them to throw their weight around a bit, especially at deployed Surg Lts who need something (I recall lots of "when I was an LMA I never needed that..."). A firm "wind your neck in - I'm the doctor" usually works...

Angrydoc braces for incoming...
  11. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

fredflintnorm wrote

In the strictest sense no, bit from a casualty's point of view, the entire Defence Medical Establishment will be surprised to hear that.

What else don't you know/understand?

Gash Barge.