Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Martial Arts Injuries

Greendeath

Lantern Swinger
I guess the martial arts subject is always a good one for conversation. However, have many of you suffered accidents whilst training?

Last year I suffered damage to my internal organs, from a blow. I was in a lot of pain for some weeks and at one point thought my number was up. Anyway, thankfully, with some professional help I made a full recovery.

A few weeks ago I was teaching a guy how to roll out of an arm lock. He was a tadge confused that night. I could tell by the blank look on his face. Unfortunately, he got muddled up with what he was meant to do. He applied a hand and thumb lock on my right hand and then dived into a role across the floor. I momentarily looked to roll with him, but the angle was awkward and I could feel my Radius and Ulna (Forearm) bones starting to bend slightly. Consequently, I stopped his role in mid flow. This reduced the chance of him snapping my arm. However, the lock was still applied and my thumb was nearly dislocated. There was a fair amount of pain as the muscles around my thumb, wrist and forehand all tore.

Its been 3 weeks now and its starting to get better. The hard part is working your way through your everyday life trying to work around injuries like this until they repair themselves. Still, it happens from time to time, doesn't it.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

Cheers

GreenDeath

josiecats

War Hero
A freind of mine is a Third Dan...whilst doing demo.... he was kicked in
the head buy a student.... took him 18 months to recover...
to walk an talk.. properly...and he gained plate in his head tooo......
has not taken away his love for it tho....

oldseadog

War Hero
Greendeath said:
Last year I suffered damage to my internal organs, from a blow.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

Cheers

GreenDeath
Hey GD,

How is my ex? I thought I taught her to suck, not blow! :twisted:

But then she was a natural blonde!

OSD

aussiepint

War Hero
Green Death by 'professional help' I presume you mean medical and not psychiatric? 8O

Oi OSD! You could have at least have taken my dyson vacuum cleaner out to dinner first before you taught her that! :lol: :lol: Damn thing hasn't worked properly since? 8O :p

Benny687

Lantern Swinger
aside from the obvious black eyes and bust noses.

4 broken fingers, dislocated both thumbs and one shoulder. hyperextended elbow (only thing that stopped it hurting was leaving it under shower, slept in bathroom for a week) 6 broken ribs, not all at same time though. broken big toe on left foot. hairline fracture of a bone in right foot. and i have a scar on every knickle of both hands which i like cos it makes me feel big and macho.

still, never did me any harm *twitch* thank god

Graybags

Lantern Swinger
Once when I was doing Aikido, I moved at the wrong moment and my Big Toe ended up by my heel....Haven't done any martial arts since, but still practice extreme sports of other types

G

Greendeath

Lantern Swinger
Aussiepint: I tried: psychiatric, but they gave up so I went for medical help.

Then oldseadog's ex, blue instead of sucking. Consequently, I had to spank the monkey lefthanded, which was different as it felt like somebody else was doing it.

As for the marital arts: I've told me wife that if she doen't stop hitting me she can do the ferking pots herself.

Cheers

GD :lol:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tbfyb Boxing/martial arts Health & Fitness 5
D Martial Arts? Sports and Adventure Training 5
H Martial arts clubs at faslane Bases / Shore Est 3
B RN RM Martial Arts Association Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
richardgriffiths martial arts / boxing etc Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
T Martial arts at Faslane? Sports and Adventure Training 6
A A crew member summoned to the court martial - does a naval barrister defend him? The Quarterdeck 3
trelawney126 Boarding School. Courts Martial of Cdr. Current Affairs 78
S HMS Royal Oak court martial History 12
sgtpepperband Interesting Court Martial Diamond Lil's 0
chockhead819 Court Martial Of Billy Mitchell Current Affairs 8
N RAN PO Challenges Court Martial System Current Affairs 9
D RAF Doctor stands Court Martial Current Affairs 11
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed Paul Roberts as a Member of Arts Council England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £75 million for iconic arts venues and cultural organisations from Culture Recovery Fund MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 588 more arts organisations saved by £76 million in latest Culture Recovery Fund grants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £257 million to save 1385 theatres, arts venues, museums and cultural organisations across England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Performing Arts given green light to resume outdoors on July 11 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1.57 billion investment to protect Britain’s world-class cultural, arts and heritage institutions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Arts Minister launches call to save a Medieval guide for hermits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Arts Minister leads call to save outstanding Gainsborough landscape painting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GCSE entries to arts and core academic subjects rise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Arts Minister stops export of Pre-Raphaelite work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Arts Minister Michael Ellis steps in to save the Bacon MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Arts Minister steps in to save rare £3 million Baroque Cabinet for the nation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: 10,000 children to benefit from new £5 million performing arts programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Arts Minister steps in to save £5 million Sargent First World War landscape from export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: The power of the arts and social activities to improve the nation's health MoD News 0
B What jobs are suitable for Arts Graduates? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 95
MoD_RSS Changes to the currency of UK State Pension and Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit paid into Yemeni bank accounts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New appointments to the Industrial Injuries Advisory Council MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Appointment to the Industrial Injuries Advisory Council MoD News 0
L Injuries while under going phase 2 Health & Fitness 7
MoD_RSS News story: Appointments to the Industrial Injuries Advisory Council MoD News 0
H What happens with injuries during basic? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M INJURIES HOLDING BACK Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
Bergen Dean Richards and Harlequin RFC Blood Injuries Diamond Lil's 6
soleil Small fire in HMS Liverpool's galley:2 suffer minor injuries The Fleet 8
B Medical and injuries Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
T Injuries before AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
G Injuries The Corps 14
T MoD reveals scale of brain injuries among veterans.... Current Affairs 0
nutty_bag "Injuries" RMR 7
Gollum Injuries...don't be an idiot like me! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
higthepig Naval Injuries Current Affairs 65
Young_Spike *** INJURIES AND MEDICAL PROBLEMS *** The Corps 20