married quarters

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by muffinator2002, Mar 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. need some advice on married quarters.

im in week 2 of raleigh atm, goin for AET so will be going to Sultan o/c of phase 1.

Im not married right now but have been with my partner 5 1/2 yrs we have a 2yr old together and another one on the way at the mo.

Im having trouble finding out weather i will be able to get a married quarters accom for me and family at sultan even tho im only engaged to her and have children. im asking because a lieutenant who gave me my branch lecture said she could arrange accommodation for me and family, but some other people are saying that no you have to be married to get any privilidges.

so im in a bit of a muddle atm any one going through a similar situation or have known or been through this process themselves your advice would be great.
  2. sorry for typo in vote question should read

"do you have to be married to get a married quarters"
  3. notbsure hun, will have a look tomoro whilst at work for you
  4. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

The answer is no. You're not married yet so no entitlement for you unfortunately. Harsh as it may seem, it is perfectly fair.
  5. I think you have to be either married or in a civil partnership. 'Common law' type thingies where you've been together for X amount of time hold no sway/influence.

Thinking of popping the question in the near future?
  6. They are no longer called married quarters but are now called Service Faimly Accommodation. Try contacting these people to find out:

The link says that you must be in the appropriate marital category, but as you have a child do contact them.

The most important lesson to learn in the RN is not to accept the first answer you are given!!
  7. That’s absolutely correct.

8. It is my belief that if you have children you are entitled to married quarters, as long you are the legal guardian of the child. Another fact you have to take into account is how long your course at Sultan is. If it is less than 6 months then you won't be entitled to a married quarter. Some courses use to insist that you lived onboard during part 2, I don't know if this is still the case.

There is a thing called short fall accomodation in Rowner (at the back of Sultan), or at least it used to be. This is accomodation that all service personnel can rent for up to 3 months. The rent is market rates but it is quite handy, I have used it to put parents in for passing out parade many moons ago.

So you need to confirm the length of your course and their policy on living ashore. I hope this helps.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Regardless of marital status you are not entitled to a quarter until completion of phase one training. (It saves money evicting you, if you submit PVR).

The current advice is that you may apply during phase two training as there's usually a waiting list, but whether your phase two training establishment permits you to live out, is open to conjecture whilst you are undergoing technical training- there's a lot of academic study required in AET training- the more focussed you are the better your chances of passing. The official RN Website FAQs indicate you must be married, but it's worth investigating further when you get back to raleigh.

You'll have plenty of time during the remaining 7 weeks phase one training & during phase two training to clarify the current rules & apply if eligible.

Good luck.

10. Would this be the same in my case?

I joined in 2001 and PVR’d; now I am going to submit a new application to re-join. I was told that you can only use a PVR once ever, so if you submitted one and then re-joined you could never submit another one. So if this is true then I don't have the option to PVR again.

I only ask because like muffinator2002, I have been with my partner for some time now (7 1/2 years) and we have two kids now. We do plan on getting married but after I get a placement. I am hoping to get faslane (close to home) so I would need to apply early if there is a waiting list.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you PVR'd from the RN or RM & rejoin, you forgo the right to submit PVR a second time. If you PVR'd from the Army or RAF, you still have the option in the RN or RM.

In effect an "untrained" re-entrant can expect to undergo Raleigh again (9 weeks this time), then must complete their phase two training their Standard Initial training Period (SITP) & complete their 2.5 years return of service before they can submit 12 months notice to leave. In short, if you re-join, you will, on average be serving for at least 4 years, depending on your SITP for your given trade.

The same rules apply with regard quarters.
  12. Makes sense. It would be much easier to apply the rule to everyone rather than rules for one and rules for another.

13. The same holds true. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been together for, or how many kids you have, you need to be married or in a civil partnership to get a quarter. You’ll loose nothing from contacting the dhe and putting your case forward, just don’t be surprised when they tell you to cob off.

14. In addition, you will also find that Phase Two standing orders state that all trainees are to live on board. However, those who are married/in a civil partnership will be allowed to live ashore with their partner - this is subject to the performance of the individual, for instance if the trainee is habitually late, he/she will have the living ashore 'privilige' revoked. Having said that, you will probably find that most Phase Two establishments now have all night leave for those over 18 anyway so it's just a case of returning on board at the correct/appropriate time. The trainee is still expected to take part in the usual delights of divisions, clean ship, kit musters etc etc.

Bottom line is trainees are 'under probation' to quote a phrase from one of the documents so you still have to do as you are told - this applies to a greater degree when under training as trainees have little or no bargaining power. Cock up enough times and the military will (and they do) get rid of bad rubbish. I'm sure that there's no bad rubbish on this forum though!! :rendeer:
  15. WOW amazing advice and support from all those who have posted on this thread so far, i'll take all the advice back to raleigh to me and definatly double check if that officer can really sort accomodation for me and family, will also check out defence estates web site, have already got in contact with gosport hive and that rowner estate houses are avalible from 2 nights to 6 months if need be but there about £22 per night so over 600 a month perhaps not a viable option for my self but good idea for passing out parades or family visits etc.
  16. If your going to be an AET its probably just easier to not bother moving your family to pompey for what will only be a few months. and then have to move them to yeovil or culdrose etc so soon.
    Personally i thinky you would be far better just pissing up with the lads for a couple of motnhs. Then move them on to a pad once you have a draft sorted.
  17. Very good advice Danny!
  18. I'm divorcing the bitch now!
  19. Welcome to the RN.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Legend! :laughing2: