Marriage & Starting family - Pilot

Hi, this is my first post and I'm in the depths of an existential crisis, I'm 23. I have been selected to continue my application for Officer Pilot, subject to medical (which wont be an issue as I already have a CAA flying medical certificate.) Currently, I'm 23 but the one thing that I am apprehensive of is how difficult I would contemplate finding a wife outside of service life. Maybe I'm making too much of it, but I'm quite religious in my faith and to find a like minded spouse outside of the Navy and to find the time creating a relationship seems difficult; can it be done?

I would value helpful replies as this will decide my future, its becoming an existential crisis and I would value your help.
Thanks.

Faded

Midshipman
I think you are making far to much of it. If I was 23 and offered the chance to at become a pilot I would absolutely take it.

Why do you think joining the Navy would hinder your chances?

I think you are making far to much of it. If I was 23 and offered the chance to at become a pilot I would absolutely take it.

Why do you think joining the Navy would hinder your chances?
Thanks for your reply, Faded. I agree, believe me, its an opportunity that I want to take. I guess where my reservations are coming from is being on sea for 9 months, it would be difficult to develop a relationship. Bear in mind, I'm asking this question from the perspective of a non-serviceman

I think a few before you may have managed!!!!

It's not a problem. I can't remember flying with any pilots who had problems developing relationships!!!

Faded

Midshipman
Thanks for your reply, Faded. I agree, believe me, its an opportunity that I want to take. I guess where my reservations are coming from is being on sea for 9 months, it would be difficult to develop a relationship. Bear in mind, I'm asking this question from the perspective of a non-serviceman
Of course but the Navy will open up many other opportunities such as being able to meet new people and a chance to mix with people outside of your normal peer group.

What is your religion? There is a whole plethora of dating apps and websites that may be of use.

how difficult I would contemplate finding a wife
Easy-peasy.
You can usually find them in 'Jesters' in Union Street or in various pubs down the Barbican ;)

Edit: Sorry, did you mean you mean a potential wife for yourself, or am I getting this wrong?

Second edit: Actually, that also works.

I managed it and so did every other bloke on my squadron.......and THOUSANDS of other pilots seem to have achieved the impossible. Stop over thinking the non-essential. Concentrate on passing pilot selection, officer training and pilot training and THEN think about wives etc. If you spend too much time and effort on whether you will or won't be a husband you won't pass pilot training in the first place. If the Doris can't manage you being away and being a pilot then don't marry her or you'll regret her for the rest of your life and your relationship will never be right. There's plenty of Dorii who can hack it.

As for "existential crisis", get a grip and stop being such a drama queen.

Evloa,

There are a couple of things that worry me about your post. Firstly, we don't use the word EXISTENTIAL in the Fleet Air Arm. Try and find another word that your average maintainer would understand. Your comment regarding the medical worries me. I flew in the FAA for many years and now fly commercially so can comment on both the MAA Medical and the CAA Medical. The CAA medical is merely concerned about you suffering an incapacitation whilst airborne - Thats it. The MAA medical will assess if you have the mental strength and physical strength to escape from behind enemy lines. As an example, I once went for my annual Aircrew Medical and during the Dental check (Yes you need to be Dentally fit) they discovered an abscess beneath one of my molars. I had no indication it was there and had no symptoms. However, because I was due to deploy to Afghanistan they whipped the tooth out. They figured that if I was captured then the stress would inflame the abscess. There are other aspects of the MAA medical where you will find big differences between the military and the CAA version.

I agree with the rest of the team regarding finding a wife. I don't know one FAA Officer who is struggling to find a wife or husband - You will be a Pilot in the FAA for goodness sake. You should invest in a good shitty stick to bat them away with.

I know of more then one non-aircrew matelot who pretended to be a pilot to swoon the girls in foreign ports.
We even had a Tornado hidden in the hanger of a Type 23 when in Canada - honest!, true dit! I was pilot, my mate was navigator (or whatever the crabs call them nowadays).

Don't worry - you will probably find your religious beliefs lead you to meet an Admiral's daughter during church on a Sunday. She'll understand Navy life. ;)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hi, this is my first post and I'm in the depths of an existential crisis, I'm 23. I have been selected to continue my application for Officer Pilot, subject to medical (which wont be an issue as I already have a CAA flying medical certificate.) Currently, I'm 23 but the one thing that I am apprehensive of is how difficult I would contemplate finding a wife outside of service life. Maybe I'm making too much of it, but I'm quite religious in my faith and to find a like minded spouse outside of the Navy and to find the time creating a relationship seems difficult; can it be done?

I would value helpful replies as this will decide my future, its becoming an existential crisis and I would value your help.
Thanks.
Wow, that's a first. A potential pilot with an ego deficiency :D

Training film:

To be honest, I'd be wary of comparing the CAA medical standards. Military pilots, for example must have no history of asthma and must be fit enough to exit an aircraft vertically with a rocket up their arse.

If that doesn't make the average person a bit wheezy, I don't know what else would.

Good luck.

I know of more then one non-aircrew matelot who pretended to be a pilot to swoon the girls in foreign ports.
We even had a Tornado hidden in the hanger of a Type 23 when in Canada - honest!, true dit! I was pilot, my mate was navigator (or whatever the crabs call them nowadays).

Don't worry - you will probably find your religious beliefs lead you to meet an Admiral's daughter during church on a Sunday. She'll understand Navy life. ;)
On the Euryalus we had more Pilots on the flight than actual pilots on the Flight.
At least 7 stoker pilots and a few greenies!
One Stoker who had pulled, came on board one night with 'female' attached to arm turned and asked if his chopper had been fixed!!!!
Next week we took him on a jolly, (flight). Well!!!! We got in the hover and had to land immediately - he was screaming like a girlie!!! Some people should stick to 2 deck and below!!!! I had to prise his hand off the seat he was gripping it sooooo hard!!!!

Can't see a problem.
I believe that the RNCF (Royal Navy Christian Fellowship) still exists. In my day most shore establishments had a branch.
Ask your local sin bosun and I am sure he will be able to help.