Marriage in the navy.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Mitchell1995, Feb 27, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone. I'm sorry in advance if my questions have already been answered else where, although I have been looking for days for my answer and no luck!
    Anyway, I have just signed up to the navy as a weapons engineer CIS. My wife is being very supportive as always, I have two children and another little one on the way. My question is...
    Will I get help in the navy such as rehousing my family (wife and 3 kids) so that they can live nearby? And I've seen some pages which suggest the houses are a lot cheaper than your normal housing. I am a 20 year old male (if that's helps) and have always worked hard and earned my self a good wage working for a roofing company. I have been wanting to join the navy since before I met my wife but we have finally decided I should go and do it. So I'm leaving the roofing behind me to make a better life for my family as I guess we all are.
    If anyone can help me out that would be so great! Thanks for reading!

2. After training, then yes it is possible to apply for married quarters near where you parent unit it is. IE if based in Devonport there are many areas with married patches not far from the base. Yes they are cheaper than privately renting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome.

Once you have successfully completed phase two (branch/role) training, you may apply for service families accommodation[SFA]. (subsidised rented housing).

It's utilitarian, but in my experience, entirely acceptable: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/defence-infrastructure-organisation-service-family-accommodation

Be aware, there is talk that the government aim to encourage service personnel to buy their own homes, so there is talk that SFA rent may soon be pitched at a commercial rate to encourage home purchase. There will be increasingly attractive 'help to buy' schemes should this scheme come to fruition.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. That is the exact specific answer I was looking for. Thank you Nina_stoker. Much appreciated!

5. Thank you tommo, appreciate the reply.

6. Twenty years of age and three kids, best join the navy and get sea going as quickly as possible.;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Just joined and he already knows you by your weekend name @Ninja_Stoker...

• Like Like x 3
  8. Twenty years of age, three kids and married seems funny to a lot of people but I do run a small business myself roofing and selling in a recreation yard. I'm at the stage in life where a lot of people won't get to at the age of 30. If you knew me you would understand. It's going to be tough leaving my kids behind whilst I'm away but it's for a better life. I have one step daughter and two of my own, they're my best qualification/ asset. It's the wife I'm hiding away from Lol.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Well you have a sense of humour so should do well.

10. Thank you, I have read more into the weapons engineers, not as an officer. I didn't have that much info on it before as the descriptions are a bit abrupt, but it seem like they sleep a lot and people like to laugh at the role (banter). Does anyone know if there is a good civilian life afterwards? Once navy service is finished for work and so on?

11. If you wish to spend time with your wife & family I would recommend you go Wafu route. Not only are Wafus Gods chosen people but they spend lots of time ashore at air stations. Life is as normal as it can get for a matelot. try for AET

• Like Like x 2
  12. That's more like what I'm looking for. Of course I will speak to an advisor before anything is final but I appreciate the help and advice of people like yourself who know more than me. Is there anywhere on the Internet with more information about that? I'm normally clued up but this is all so new I'm struggling to know what I'm looking at on the web sometimes lol. I feel like my nan has more of an idea on the Internet these days.

13. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

WE(CIS) is probably at the start of a new phase in the Navy as we transition towards Information Warfare - better integration of sensors/networks and weapons systems. My opinion is that the Navy hasn't really gripped CIS in the past but it's starting to.

To take advantage of this we'll need new systems and people skilled and qualified to make it all work - Cyber Protection Teams, Innovation Teams, Maintainers/Administrators all developing skills that are equally applicable in the civilian world particularly when you've lots of experience too.

• Like Like x 1
  14. That makes sense, that's what gripped me was the fact of how advanced technology is these days. Please feel free to shut me down because I'm not 100 percent but once you spend you'r 20 years working in WE(CIS) wouldn't that make you valuable to the likes of MI5 and privately working for government run security agencies? Maybe that was the silliest thing you have seen on this forum lol!

15. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

All depends, there are ex Matelots working in the agencies but they recruit and develop their own talent, particularly in the CIS field.

A lot of the tech you will work with will be quite bespoke (Command Systems) and a lot with be COTS or largely COTS based and hence will prepare you well for a variety of civilian organisations.

• Like Like x 1