Marriage benefits?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Snowman91, Sep 8, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good morning,

I called my AFCO this morning to change my contact number on my recruit form, and when asked "Are there any other changes you wish to make today?" I informed them I got married In May, and we have our first child who was born in July. The AFCO lady told me to pop in next time I'm in town with my marriage certificate so they can update my profile further to allow for 'marriage benefits'.
    I phoned from work and couldn't stay on too long, wasn't expecting anything to do with marriage benefits, so before I next get a chance to head in with my papers, can anyone tell me what the marriage benefits are/possibly entitle me to in the future?
    Cheers people.
  2. My Uncle once gave me two pieces of advice:

1) Never get married

2) Never have children

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Being married four months with a two month old that's greatly helped mate cheers.
  4. Looks like you never had a wise uncle:(

Seriously married men always used to get little extras from the services. in my day this included things like separation pay, extra get you home warrants, plus free food and accommodation.
    I think the free food and accommodation has now been withdrawn, don't know about the other perks:cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Haha nope, no wise Uncles.
    Cheers mate.
  6. Bit of a rushed wedding was it?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Being married entitles you to:

Not paying for your accommodation at Raleigh

That's pretty much it now, so you save an extra £30 per month for a bit.
  8. We've been engaged since January 2013, but haven't found the time or money to get married until May 2014. Having said that it was important to my wife that we all have the same surname before our daughter was born, not so much to myself but having heard the various perks married folks get in terms of housing etc seemed pointless not to as we were already getting married anyway.
  9. Oh really? That's awesome! Better than nothing eh? Why is it married recruits aren't required to pay for accomdation at Raleigh?
  10. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

This should open up a can of worms :D
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Your wife is a brave woman and very supportive, kudos
  12. I'm fairly sure married blokes don't pay accom charges at all. Unless they are in a patch that is.
    The reason for this is unkown to me and I don't understand in 2014 how it is justified.
    It's only a matter of time until someone takes the MOD to court for discrimination against singlies.
  13. Don't quote me but I seem to recall reading somewhere it's because the married man would effectively be paying accom twice, i.e. rent, mortgage etc for his family plus his service accom. Singlies owning their own house didn't come into it as the married man HAS to provide a home for his family, singlies it was/is a choice.

This is a can of worms as singlies are not entitled to LSAP for house purchase (at least they never used to be, that may have changed though).
  14. I am pretty sure it's now about home ownership, not marriage status.
  15. I wasn't being seriously about not knowing I just don't understand how they can get away with it in 2014. Plenty of I married people have houses, kids, lesbian cats that they have to shell out for. Singlies are entitled to LSAP I bought in 2009 and used it.
    And I sold in February so unless it has changed since the. Single home owners still pay accom.
  16. Brave probably not? But heading into a very strange world of the partner to a service Man/woman, when things go pear shaped at home and the partner is at sea/away and left miles from family support, it takes a strong person to cope. Many times people have said to my wife you married a service man you should have known what to expect? There has never been a training course on what to expect if marrying someone from the services. I remember when my brother-in-law was looking to join the police; his wife was interviewed to let her know how the force would change him, no such thing for Jack.
    Best you can do is take up to date advice from you recruiter and take whatever perks are around for married couples, do not worry about the winging singles if they had any perks over a married person they would grab it with both hands. It is jacks favourite pastime, find something to drip about then wing, whine and drip to anyone they can corner, even better if they can imply an injustice has been done to them.
  17. Yeah I'm not sure about that. To an extent she is naturally anyway, but she's the one who first turned me onto joining the Navy, and growing up in Torpoint I'd imagine that she knows what she's getting herself into in terms of marrying a serviceman. I think she's more keen on spending all of my money to be honest as I'd be earning more in my first year as a WS than I would be as a receptionist, and she's eyeing up a pony for our daughter...
  18. Haha a pony, an excellent choice! Seriously though i have friends who wont even let their other halves go away for a few days with work. An exciting career changing meeting in Berlin? I dont think soooo. A few days in london to get a chance of landing a contract which will mean more money etc? Not in a million years, son. So its great you are both supportive, it wasn't a dig or anything it was a big fat awesome! I meant brave as in strong as sumo says, it takes a certain type of lady.
  19. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Or man. I left MrExJ with 2 young sprogs, 2 dogs and my mum to look after when I buggered off back to sea.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex-wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up.
  20. Or gent... In this instance though it were a bird. For the sakes of equality it takes a certain type of person :p hope its all going well in the rfa ex jenny :)