Maritime museums around the world

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by LondonF, Jul 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear all,

I'm on the hunt for knowledge! I'm having to put together a (long winded) report on museums around the world and I have reached the maritime section. So far I have written about 50-70 large and/or national Maritime musuems but now need to start focusing on the smaller/obscure maritime museums. I (think!) I have all of those within the UK, but need to find a fair few worldwide in order to make comprehensive opinions/judgements etc.

This is where I ask for help, In my web search I don't seem to be able to find the 'key words' needed to find what I am after! So, have you visited any maritime museums in other parts of the world? Can you remember the names and/or locations? Can you tell me? Please??

In the grand scheme of things it isn't very important and is unlikely to effect anyones enjoyment of a museum... But it's a biggie for me and would be appreciated!!

Many thanks in advance,

LondonF

2. Check out Greencastle Maritime Museum in Co Donegal,Ireland. Small but very Intresting and well run. Was featured on one of those history programmes with Dan Snow a while back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fantastic, thank you!

4. Mystic seaport, Patriots point, Bluenose.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Amsterdam and Lisbon both have interesting maritime museums.

6. There is a museum piece currently undergoing restoration in Good Hope Hospital Birmingham but I don’t think it would be of interest.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nelsons Harbour Antigua.
    Does Diamond Rock count as an historical "ship" believe it was commissioned. Perhaps Granny will know

8. This may not fit in with your remit but the Valhalla Collection on Tresco has a maritime flavour - it's not a museum as such, though, more a collection.

Tresco Abbey Gardens Valhalla

9. Don't forget the US Navy's idea of a Submarine Museum in Groton, New London, Conneticut (sp?). It is where the US Navy have a building 10 times the size of our Submarine Museum, containing a 10th of the exhibits of ours............ But it does have NAUTILUS alongside.

10. The Captain Cook museum in Staithes, North Yorkshire was a nice half hour detour from a walk along the coastline.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  11. Thank you all! Have spent the day Researching the places suggested. Will be continuing tomorrow with the further suggestions and then start writing about them in a few days hopefully!

Thank you all for the help!

LondonF x

12. No, I just coudn't find The Trap's website ... for some reason ... :drunken:

13. Maurice yard Devonport. Open for public viewing

14. New Bedford, and old Dartmouth Whaling Museum.New Bedford, MA, USA. Another very good Museum.

15. Amsterdam also has anther interesting museum, the "Sex Museum" some strange stuff in there, I kept the entry ticket to prove to the missus that I did visit a museum on runs ashore?