marines band music

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by oasis6x, Jan 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ok, might be a tough one without me being a mug and singing it - does anyone know the song which is traditionally played first in a Raleigh passing out parade?

I remember the gunner battting his stick ont he deck two 8 beats of a snare, then the music comes in and you start marching.

Durm durm dah dumdum dum da dumdum dum dum duuuurm durrrm (dum da dumm)
  2. and no im not stupid enought for it to be heart of oak, jsut to put that out there.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sounds like, erm, "Durm durm dah dumdum dum da dumdum dum dum duuuurm durrrm (dum da dumm)", by Edward Elgar to me, otherwise known as "Sladeburn".

Could be wrong, mind[​IMG]
  4. This has the makings of a very long, and highly entertaining, thread.

Nice easy one for you both:

Dum dum dum da! Dum dum dum da!

The Comms elite will know what it is.... :)
  5. Would it be 'Heart's of Oak'? or perhaps 'Anchor's Away', little bit more Tiddle, tiddle, ting, ting, ting, thrump' on that one though.
  6. Would it be oom-papa oom-papa oom-papa oom ?

Sorry, my mistake - that's the German navy NE training school march.

7. Take your pick from this lot :thumright:
  8. Beethoven's Fifth (Morse for V and V for Victory, and all that) :thumright:
  9. definately hearts of oak written by john smiff 2 ff in smiff played in c major was going to played for Nelson first cock and arse party but was cancelled has there was no flight deck
  10. eh? You on the pussers already this morning, Brendan? :w00t:
  11. I think you may have answered your own question there - it looks like you are dumming 'Hearts of Oak', and the (dum da dumm) could be 'Ready, Aye, Readyyyy'/'Steady, Men, Steadyyy' etc

Should be glad that you didn't pass out in Pembroke, we usually marched off with the 'Thunderbirds' theme tune.
    Made more difficult because we were usually the last platoons off the parade before the Jennies started their march off and when the beat was increased for their shorter marching pace.
    Many a time the S&S platoons were sent around again for marching out of sync.
    Good laugh though.

As for the gunner batting his stick - would this be the Bandmaster tapping his mace ?

12. I say Hearts of oak def...
  13. It's Heart of Oak, not Hearts of Oak, i.e. the toughest bit of the tree. In the old days, this was the equivalent of ships' armour plating. Tough stuff for tough men!

P.S. It's Britannia Rule the Waves too, not Britannia Rules the Waves. Here endeth the lesson.
  14. Durm durm dah dumdum dum da dumdum dum dum duuuurm durrrm (dum da dumm

Sounds like the "Archers" theme :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Tsk, you must be tone deaf. :thumright:
  16. Nah Menace, you're definitely not musical!
    The Archers theme goes - Dum de dum de dum de dum, dum de dum de dah dah.

17. Just consulted my copy of "Passing in", the official CD of ceremonial divisions at Raleigh. On this one, divisions march on to "On the Quarterdeck" by Kenneth Alford. The guard march on to "Heart of Oak".
    Unfortunately, neither seems to fit your rhythm line!!

18. Could it be "On the Quarterdeck"?
    I have it as my ringtone :)
  19. Ninja_Stoker

By jove, I think you've got it.

I was going to say "On the quarterdeck" but thought nah, sounds nothing like that.

Obviously the original post was several beats & a few semi-tones out!

(Mind you, Naval gunfire probably caused that)