Marine VM

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Joe12345, Jan 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. anyone have any info on being a VM in the marine apart from

"The role of the VM is to maintain in peace or on operations , the Royal Marines diverse vehicle fleet consisting of over 2800 vehicles of different types."

thanks in advance

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You're right there's not a huge amount of info on the official stes. The only extra bit I got was: "Vehicle Mechanic

Maintains the Royal Marines fleet, consisting of over 2,800 vehicles of different types. You'll be trained in Engine Technology, Fuel Injection Engine, Electrics, Vehicle Recovery, Transmissions, Welding, and Battle Damage Repair."

The latter bit is the "nuts & bolts" so to speak. Put it this way they're all Commandos first & foremost, (apart from the RN VM augmentees) so if you only want the job for the trade, there's easier ways of become a mechanic.

3. Sorry, mate. I was a gravel belly and PWI. I wouldn't worry about it though until you've at least been through CTC. I expect you'll then do two or three years or so as a GD grav, unless there is a severe shortage of VMs. Last time I looked the only guys they were really short of were cooks and clerks, although I've never known rifle companies to be fully up to strength either. I'm probably wrong so go and ask someone at the careers office. Or Ninja may know more about VM numbers req.

4. Thanks for the replies im going to go to the careers offices and see if they got any more info.
    One more thing how far should I be able swim my fitness is ok but haven’t been swimming in a while

5. There's a massice shortage of VM's, hence the recent drive to get ET(ME)'s to re-train and go work for Cdo Logs; with the added bonus of an attempt at AACC and possible transfer to RM full-time....

6. There and back!!! :thumright: :thumright:

7. can I bring my armbands? and I cant forget my rubber duck :biggrin:

8. Yeah a rubber dagger might be a bit on the light side but tends to surprise people!!!

:thumright:

9. Joe, Please try to rise above the more dozy kind of newbie question :thumright: Have a question? Always look around the RM site first. It will involve time and effort but think of it as a motivation test. If you can't hack that put your question into Google first. You never know you might just find the answer
    you're looking for. If I were you I would log onto that site.
    Hope this helps.
    Harry

P.S. Alf, thanks for the info. Very interesting. Anyone from RN taken it up?

10. Why do I get the feeling he was trying very hard not to give that speech at the top of his voice.

BTW harry, no mention of naked roll mat fighting on that site.

11. Harry, no idea, but it was in the latest issue of RNTMs and MEOs have been instructed to brief...

12. Ninja_Stoker

The RN ET(ME)'s are already trickling through for VM training together with Drivers (another traditional shortage category).

13. Right, a bet:

How long before the first post from a rouge outlining the following as their "ideal" career...

"I'm going to go ET(ME), then VM, then AACC, then RM(VM) then either SBS or UY/CC (but only so they'll have the respect of the lads...).

Anyone?

14. Ninja_Stoker

What again? :thumright:

OK, two to five days perhaps & there's 20P riding on this one, Mister!

15. There is a severe shortage. And you can now leave CTC and then go straight to SEME Bordon on VM's course.

16. Pumped up booties straight out of the box going off to SEME? Not sure about that. Would prefer to see them do two years GD in a rifle coy first, one at a push. Still, once at Bordon I'm sure they act professionally and don't strut about and gob off like brand new maroon types. :confused1:

17. It might not be what you would like. But it is what is happening i know a couple that have just finished there course.

18. If I do a mechanics course now will I have to do it again when I join the RM?

19. Ninja_Stoker

Yes. It will undoubtedly contain different elements & modules.

It's highly unlikely your local college will run a course on Viking vehicles for example. (Unless you live in Bovington).

The training is specific to vehicle types.