Marine engineering technician watch duty

Hey, what would a standard day on a ship be like for a marine engineering technician. Do they do a standard day 8-16:30. Then do they do a watch duty through the night for 4 hours on top of the standard working day? Or have I heard my recruiting officer wrong?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
You'll have a core working day of 0800 to 1600 normally, although a 1630 working day could be the norm when alongside to enable a 1200 dash on a friday to enable a decent weekend off.

At sea, you'll normally keep watches (shifts), besides the core working day, usually of four hours duration with time off in lieu during the core working day. Likewise when alongside, you can usually expect to work watches over a 24 hour period every fourth day.

Don't worry about it, most branches keep watches without the need to make a song and dance about it. (Except the Warfare branch who seem to think they are the only people that keep watches & have to clean stuff).

You'll have a core working day of 0800 to 1600 normally, although a 1630 working day could be the norm when alongside to enable a 1200 dash on a friday to enable a decent weekend off.

At sea, you'll normally keep watches (shifts), besides the core working day, usually of four hours duration with time off in lieu during the core working day. Likewise when alongside, you can usually expect to work watches over a 24 hour period every fourth day.

Don't worry about it, most branches keep watches without the need to make a song and dance about it. (Except the Warfare branch who seem to think they are the only people that keep watches & have to clean stuff).

I think you'll find................

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any links to a description of what watch duty will include?
Also depends on you if you can be trusted or are qualified to a level you will have set responsibilities, if you are an OD waste of space you will wet tea/coffee simple, do not be a passenger, be a crew member and work.