Marine engineering technician watch duty

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by matt277, Mar 15, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey, what would a standard day on a ship be like for a marine engineering technician. Do they do a standard day 8-16:30. Then do they do a watch duty through the night for 4 hours on top of the standard working day? Or have I heard my recruiting officer wrong?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You'll have a core working day of 0800 to 1600 normally, although a 1630 working day could be the norm when alongside to enable a 1200 dash on a friday to enable a decent weekend off.

At sea, you'll normally keep watches (shifts), besides the core working day, usually of four hours duration with time off in lieu during the core working day. Likewise when alongside, you can usually expect to work watches over a 24 hour period every fourth day.

Don't worry about it, most branches keep watches without the need to make a song and dance about it. (Except the Warfare branch who seem to think they are the only people that keep watches & have to clean stuff).
  3. Thanks, so if you were on watch at night you would have some time off during the working day to make up for this?

4. I think you'll find................

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Any links to a description of what watch duty will include?
  6. Depends on what ship/submarine you're on, threat state, whether under sailing orders etc etc.
  7. You forgot cooking up the pot mess with the steam pipe during the middle! :)
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

9. Also depends on you if you can be trusted or are qualified to a level you will have set responsibilities, if you are an OD waste of space you will wet tea/coffee simple, do not be a passenger, be a crew member and work.