marine engineering submariner or sailor

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by klio39, Oct 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My name is George and im 15, however im in my last year of school. I was just wondering if anyone could help me with this one question;
    What would probably be best for a newbie in marine engineering, submariner or sailor?
    Thank you for all responds.

2. Right, on the basis I joined at 15 and would've been equally clueless if the internet existed.....

There are newbies in both sections, so it really comes down to personal preference. Try and speak to an Armed Forces Careers Office and see if you can visit both a ship and a submarine.

Liverpool AFCO:

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: left"]LIVERPOOL
    Address

[/TD]
    [TD="align: left"] AFCO(RN)
    14 North John Street
    Liverpool
    L2 4SA

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: left"] Phone:
    Email:

[/TD]
    [TD] 0151 707 3380
    [email protected]

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: left"] Location:

[/TD]
    [TD] The office is situated next door to the Slug & Lettuce Public House. Map

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: left"] Opening Times:

[/TD]
    [TD] Open Monday to Friday 0900 to 16:30 We are happy to see you without an appointment for general careers advice, careers publications and to initiate an application to join the service.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

3. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Use the search function young fella, this has already been done.

4. thanks for your help

5. Kilo
    I personally did 12 years Targets and 12years Boats and enjoyed both, some are totally against one or the other so the advice the ATG gave of trying to arrange a visit to Both Ship and Sub is very good advice.

The thing I missed the most from skimmers was being able to go on the upper scupper on a nice sunny day with a brew and look out over the sea, (land a hoy and all that stuff).

On a boat did not know most of the time if it was day or night up top and the longest view was back aft down the long ladder, about 30yards or so, Bomber queens may have had a longer view? The only time we normally saw day light was through a periscope.:):)