Marine engineering officer questions

Hi all,
I'm about to start uni to study Mechanical and Electrical Engineering and have been considering for a while now to join as a marine engineering officer as soon as I'm done with uni. I'm aware it's more of a management type role, but realistically would I be doing any hands-on engineering/maintenance at least a couple of times a week?
Also, I've been reading on this forum that apparently marine engineering officers tend to spend very little time at sea after finishing training - is there any way for this to not be the case? One of the biggest attractions for me to join the RN is to spend time at sea.
Cheers

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
...realistically would I be doing any hands-on engineering/maintenance at least a couple of times a week?
Also, I've been reading on this forum that apparently marine engineering officers tend to spend very little time at sea after finishing training - is there any way for this to not be the case? One of the biggest attractions for me to join the RN is to spend time at sea.
You won't be doing fixing stuff, that's for sure, it's not conducive with wearing white overalls.

You may be involved in the theory, diagnostics, logistics and determining the solution to get the kit back on-line for Command, but you won't ever be the person wielding the spanner as an engineering officer in the normal course of duty, your toolkit is the Engineering Technicians at your disposal.

Around 40% of engineering officers joined as a rating, learning and undertaking the hands on aspects of electrical/mechanical engineering first.

A good couple of schemes to look at if you want "hands-on" is either the Accelerated Apprentice Scheme or the Submariner UnderGraduate Apprentice Scheme (UGAS) which both start on £31K, unlike engineering officer which starts on £25K.

Sea time as an Engineering Officer is about one third of your career on a ship, two-thirds working ashore.