Marine Engineering Officer Questions

As I have said before, I am joining up as a Marine Engineering Officer, however I have loads of questions.
I have tried searching this forum and google, but its not really given me an answer, and I have spoken with with the recruiting officer and a friend in the Navy, but they have given me vague answers so hoping you guys can help me out.

Do you serve on just 1 ship or will you be posted to many different ships?

What happens when your ship is in port? I heard that most deployments are 4 months, so what happens when you are back on shore? Do you just go home and wait for the next deployment or are you busy getting the ship ready, carrying out upgrades/maintenance?

What happens when your ship stops at a foreign port? Do you get weekend leave or does it depend on how long you are there for? If you do get leave, are you allowed to do what you like, or must you be back on bored the ship every night?

I want to serve on the surface fleet initially, but later on I might like to transfer to subs, is this possible? If so would it be better for me to do the nuclear training at Sultan when i 1st go, or would I have to go back to Sultan at a latter date, if I decide I want to move on to subs?

And lastly, what does a Marine Engineering Officer actually do?
Ok, I know roughly what they do, but not specifically. I know you will lead the day-to-day maintenance of the equipment, supervising the technicians rather than actually doing the work yourself...but what does this actually mean? If, for example, the gas turbine fails, do i write a risk assessment before sending in the technicians? etc etc

Also, my friend said that I would be reporting only to the commanding officer, but who actually is the commanding officer? Is that the Captain of the ship or the Chief Marine Engineering Officer?

Thanks again for all your help

1) You'll serve on different ships.

2) Back alongside you'll have leave and be back onboard overseeing defect rectification and planned maintenance.

3) On foreign runs ashore you'll have plenty of time to see the sights in between duties onboard.

4) Yes. You'll go back to Sultan for further training, although I don't recall many transferring from GS.

5) You're not hands on, think of yourself as management.

6) Initially you'll be an AMEO (Assistant MEO) reporting to the MEO or DMEO. They report to the Captain. The pecking order is MEO, DMEO, AMEO. The title Chief is reserved for the Gods among men, I was a Chief ME ;) Chief is the title for Chief Petty Officers.

BZ Wrex,

The OP has chosen a Long Weekend but RR's Resident Recruiter @Ninja_Stoker may yet surface to offer advice.

Having said that, please remember that this is an Unofficial Site and even Ninja's replies always include the following caveat in his signature block:

================================================
Check any advice with your AFCO.

All opinions are not those of the service.
=================================

However, whilst you are waiting, try this for size:

As I have said before, I am joining up as a Marine Engineering Officer,

Ermm, Not exactly correct, chopper: From your previous posts you seem to be a 28 yr old in the process of applying.

however I have loads of questions.
I have tried searching this forum and google, but its not really given me an answer,

Oh?? Five clicks of my google brought up this Official page:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...ervices/surface-fleet/marine-engineer-officer

Look very carefully and you will find this: "If you have questions, talk to us"

followed by a chat option and even a telephone No!!

...and I have spoken with the recruiting officer and a friend in the Navy, but they have given me vague answers...

Presumably that recruiting officer would have left you with his contact details?

What is preventing you from pinning him down for the Official answers and inquiring about the prospect of visiting a ship/shore establishment for an acquaint visit where you can talk to real live MEOs?

...so hoping you guys can help me out...Etc etc...Thanks again for all your help

Hope springs eternal, sunshine, so I've made the following pipe:

<<D'ye hear there! Duty Spoonfeeding Party fall in three deep at the rush!>>

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

PS This reply was made TIC with the echo of your previous question still reverberating...

<<What the hell is a Booty, a POLC and a WO1 Booty?>> :rolleyes:

BZ Wrex,

The OP has chosen a Long Weekend but RR's Resident Recruiter @Ninja_Stoker may yet surface to offer advice.

Having said that, please remember that this is an Unofficial Site and even Ninja's replies always include the following caveat in his signature block:

================================================
Check any advice with your AFCO.

All opinions are not those of the service.
=================================

However, whilst you are waiting, try this for size:

As I have said before, I am joining up as a Marine Engineering Officer,

Ermm, Not exactly correct, chopper: From your previous posts you seem to be a 28 yr old in the process of applying.

however I have loads of questions.
I have tried searching this forum and google, but its not really given me an answer,

Oh?? Five clicks of my google brought up this Official page:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...ervices/surface-fleet/marine-engineer-officer

Look very carefully and you will find this: "If you have questions, talk to us"

followed by a chat option and even a telephone No!!

...and I have spoken with the recruiting officer and a friend in the Navy, but they have given me vague answers...

Presumably that recruiting officer would have left you with his contact details?

What is preventing you from pinning him down for the Official answers and inquiring about the prospect of visiting a ship/shore establishment for an acquaint visit where you can talk to real live MEOs?

...so hoping you guys can help me out...Etc etc...Thanks again for all your help

Hope springs eternal, sunshine, so I've made the following pipe:

<<D'ye hear there! Duty Spoonfeeding Party fall in three deep at the rush!>>

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

PS This reply was made TIC with the echo of your previous question still reverberating...

<<What the hell is a Booty, a POLC and a WO1 Booty?>> :rolleyes:

Yes i tried that page but the information given is vague, but I did talk use the live chat...however they either didnt know the answers to my questions or were again vague in their response.

I suppose what I really want to know its what its actually like to BE a marine engineering officer.
What is the day to day life like on board the ship and while in port?
It cant all be fixing propulsion systems!!! Surly there must be days where the toilet is blocked and you have to deal with it. And what happens on the days where there is nothing going wrong? Are you monitoring the efficiency of the exhaust heat recovery system and writing reports on how you unclogged the toilet? :p

I would love to have the opportunity to visit a ship and speaking to a ME, I didn't realise that was an option...I will definitely enquire about this on Monday.

Final answer:

You, as an officer, will not fix defects!

Your section heads, mainly CPO's, will do the day to day running, prioritising defects and overseeing repairs, including unblocking the heads, which you probably will not even be aware of it.

There will never be a day when there's "nothing going wrong"

Get it through your head, you're not hands on, you're paperwork, planning and meetings.

Surely the MEO being a chippy as well would be a first , think it's safe to say you won't be unblocking toilets if you go officer

Final answer:

You, as an officer, will not fix defects!

Your section heads, mainly CPO's, will do the day to day running, prioritising defects and overseeing repairs, including unblocking the heads, which you probably will not even be aware of it.

There will never be a day when there's "nothing going wrong"

Get it through your head, you're not hands on, you're paperwork, planning and meetings.
And beatings. Many, many beatings.

Hi,

I have started the process of joining up with the intention of an ME, potentially an officer. I already have my level 3 in light marine engineering and passed with distinctions, these are city and guilds levels. Equivalent to a levels. Would this be sufficient enough for an officers entry?

Thanks

Another question for you guys.

Is there a reason marine engineering officer in the RFA get paid more than those in the RN?
The starting salary is a £9k difference...which is quiet a large difference

Edit: Oops, the pay given on the RFA site is once you achieve midshipman rank while the pay shown on the RN site is from your 1st day of training, the actual difference is only 4k.
Still, any reason why this is? Does not influence my decision much, my heart is set on the RN for various reasons, I am just curious

Last edited: