Marine Engineering Officer - Commonwealth applicant

Hi All,

Due to the announcement Monday opening some roles for commonwealth applicants, I have been trying to apply for the position of MEO, however the RN recruitment has replied that I need to live here for 5 years before I can join. I have been in the UK 2 years now, so that I can apply with no problems once the 5 years is complete, obviously though if I can get in sooner I will certainly try. The Royal Navy website states that the position of MEO is now open to commonwealth applicants, which is why I have applied.

My question is whether the website is incorrect, and whether there are any other positions available for commonwealth? I think maybe it might just be because it is an officer role, so should I try applying as a ME Rating?

Cheers for the help

Sumo

War Hero
I think @Ninja_Stoker made the comment that the statement was made by the politicians before the recruiting service were aware or ready, so the ans is, probably incorrect against statement but recruitment are running with current rules until told differently as for roles available, probably the same, you will have to wait until the new rules are implemented?
Should be a less wait that the 3 years you were expecting. good luck.

Ah OK, Cheers Sumo

I thought it was something like that. Any idea how long it will take to reach the recruiters and for them to change it up? In the mean time should I wait a bit or just keep trying to apply every now and then?

Ah OK, Cheers Sumo

I thought it was something like that. Any idea how long it will take to reach the recruiters and for them to change it up? In the mean time should I wait a bit or just keep trying to apply every now and then?
I have no knowledge of how quickly the recruiters will get themselves organised but I would think that nothing is going to happen quickly. The best plan would be to register your interest again but be prepared for a little more waiting.

Cheers fishhead, will try that, although all I did was try to register my interest this time, and they got back to me a few hours later saying I couldn't join up due to the residency restrictions. But I will just keep registering my interest every now and then until they change.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hi All,

Due to the announcement Monday opening some roles for commonwealth applicants, I have been trying to apply for the position of MEO, however the RN recruitment has replied that I need to live here for 5 years before I can join. I have been in the UK 2 years now, so that I can apply with no problems once the 5 years is complete, obviously though if I can get in sooner I will certainly try. The Royal Navy website states that the position of MEO is now open to commonwealth applicants, which is why I have applied.

My question is whether the website is incorrect, and whether there are any other positions available for commonwealth? I think maybe it might just be because it is an officer role, so should I try applying as a ME Rating?

Cheers for the help
The Royal Navy & Royal Marines are now accepting applications from Commonwealth Citizens resident overseas, aged 18 upwards according to The MoD.

Whilst aware this was in the pipeline I suspect this was announced in advance of the process infrastructure being established to deal with the anticipated number of applications. If applying as a Commonwealth Citizen living overseas, please be patient whilst the system catches up as my belief it'll be four weeks before two-way communications are established.

Essentially this now means eligible applicants living overseas of UK can apply and, if found suitable, a residency waiver will be requested.

To check initial eligibility call (UK) +441753 804 921 from overseas or 03456 07 55 55 if living in UK.

My guess is the website may not yet be updated, in which case it will ask for a postcode in order to apply, so use London AFCO postcode: WC1N 1NP

See below branches available:

RN Branch
Role
Officer

Engineering
Marine Engineering Officer

Training Management Officer

Environmental Health Officer
Nursing/Dental
Dental Officer

Nursing Officer (Q) Adult

Nursing Officer (Q) Mental Health
Rating/Other Ranks

Royal Marines
Royal Marines Commando
RM Band Service
Royal Marines Musician

Royal Marines Bugler
Aviation
Naval Airman (Aircraft Handler)
Logistics
Chef

Steward

Supply Chain

Writer
Nursing/Dental
Naval Nurse (Q)

Medical Technician Radiographer (Q)

Dental Nurse

Medical Assistant
Engineering
Engineering Technician (Marine Engineering)

Accelerated Apprentice (Marine Engineering)
Reserves
Royal Marines Reserve
(Must have ILR/SETTLEMENT)

Royal Navy Reserves
(Must have ILR/SETTLEMENT)

Thanks a lot for the help Ninja :),

I have gotten confirmation that my application is progressing now, I assume it will take a bit longer because of the influx of recruits at the moment, so now it's just the waiting game for a bit

Cheers