Marine Engineering Mechanics (Stoker) Branch query - can you help?

Discussion in 'History' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A quick query from me regarding the 'ME Department' in the 1960's (before my time).

Background: I joined 1981 and we had MEM(M) and MEM(L)s, I think this changed about 1993 to just MEM. It later changed to ET(ME) after the demise of the Artificers (last entry 09/01/2006)

Query: What was the branch title in the 1960's, specifically 66-68?

2. It was MEM in 1973 when I joined. I was an OEM (Ordnance Electrical Mechanic) and rose to the dizzy heights of A/LOEM before EBD came in around 1979 when I became an LMEM(L) if that's any help.

3. wal

wal Badgeman

I joined January 66 as a JM(E)² In June that year I rose to the dizzy height of JM(E)¹ In August 67 I became a M(E)² then in June 72 I became a MEM¹. and according to my docs I became a LMEM(M) in September 79. I believe that the MEO took on the responsibility of heavy electrics earlier in the mid 70s. So because I joined at certain time I was not required to hold a switchboard ticket as well as a boiler ticket.

4. .
    "Query: What was the branch title in the 1960's, specifically 66-68?"

Nina,

The clever money is on MEM (sans an M or L suffix) but Stirling was 'that man there!' so he'll be able confirm it.

5. What Wal said, almost, he missed out going from M(E) 2 to M(E) 1 scale c , after a year you became scale b. then scale a if passed for hook, change to MEM came about 72 as I was on Fife at the time.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  6. Bob, clear your inbox, incoming.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Many thanks for the info.

I'm guessing someone joining as an M(E)2 in '66 would have changed titles to MEM in '72 if still serving?

8. You guess right Chief.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Cheers Stirling.

It was a query on behalf of someone recently bereaved and we wanted to get the title correct - thanks.