Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marine Engineering apprenticeship vs Regular intake

Hey Everyone,

I'm a bit worried I wont make it onto the accelerated scheme so I'm curious what the promotion rate is like on regular intake and starting as a rating.
Are there increments of promotion or is it, like after 4 years you get a first promotion and jump £10k wage?? Doesn't seem accurate.
What pay increase is there over increment promotion if that's applicable? and How quickly can you expect smaller promotions?
I can't seem to find out much information from my careers office but that's no worries, as its not urgent but I'd like to know :)

Thanks Everyone.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
You'd be joining as a rating as an apprentice but promotion of non-apprentices is down to you, how much graft you put in and how keen you are to get on.

There's no time scale as such and your pay goes up in yearly increments, starting at level 1 and up to level 9, when you go to a higher rate you start at level 1 in that rate and so on and so forth.

So basically, If I stayed as a rating and didn't promote, It'd take me 9 years to get to level 9 theoretically.
I probably would do a lot of grafting to get promoted lol. I can suck up quite badly ahahaha
Is it realistic to expect a promotion within 2-3 years if I put the effort in??

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
So basically, If I stayed as a rating and didn't promote, It'd take me 9 years to get to level 9 theoretically.
I probably would do a lot of grafting to get promoted lol. I can suck up quite badly ahahaha
Is it realistic to expect a promotion within 2-3 years if I put the effort in??

All things are possible.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Engineering Technician (Marine Engineering) Branch Joining the Royal Navy 1
I marine engineering officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
J Accelerated apprentice scheme in marine engineering Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
B Marine Engineering phase 2 Course length?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
N ACCELERATED APPRENTICE SCHEME (MARINE ENGINEERING) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
K Direct Entry Marine Engineering Officer Joining the Royal Navy 22
R What Qualifications do you gain as an Marine Engineering Technician in the Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Marine Engineering (Technician) qualifications and career path Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
K Marine Engineering Officer - Commonwealth applicant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
F Marine Engineering Joining the Royal Navy 6
M Can a stoker (marine engineering) do the AACC? Joining the Royal Navy 54
L Marine engineering officer questions Joining the Royal Navy 2
K Marine Engineering Officer Questions Joining the Royal Navy 16
S Current waiting list for a marine engineering role on the surface fleet? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
G Marine engineering surface or submarine??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M Civvie plumber thinking of becoming and engineering technician marine engineer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
B Marine Engineering Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Marine engineering technician watch duty Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
burnleymitchy Engineering Technician (Marine Engineer) Help? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
C Is anyone here a marine engineering technician? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
soleil HMS Sultan - Army/Navy Combined Training Marine Engineering Course Bases / Shore Est 5
S Marine Engineering Technician Submariner training post Raleigh/Sultan Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
Ninja_Stoker Marine Engineering Mechanics (Stoker) Branch query - can you help? History 9
C Engineering Technician - Marine Engineering Interview HELP! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K marine engineering submariner or sailor Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
T Marine Engineering Submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Joining up as a Marine Engineering technician on the surface fleet. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
J Intro to Marine Engineering...? The Book Club 6
Z Engineering technician – marine engineering (submariner) Submariners 3
katarnus Medical Assitant or Marine Engineering? Submariners 75
Tommeh Hopeful Marine Engineering applicant. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
Leo_Tonge Engineering Technician (Marine Engineer) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
johansen Marine Engineering Officer (SM) Training Pipeline Submariners 2
O Direct Entry PO Marine Engineer Technician Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Consultation launched to support marine renewables MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister Davies visits Pembroke Dock Marine project set to tackle climate change and boost Swansea Bay Region economy MoD News 0
B Can I wear athletic tape during Royal Marine Commando training ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
T Navy Entry Date Marine Engineer Joining the Royal Navy 4
K Accelerated Apprentice Marine Engineer chance?! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Marine and coastal areas linked with better health and well-being MoD News 0
J Marine engineer travel opportunities Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
H Joining as a marine engineer (submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Combatting marine plastic polution MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Climate benefits of Marine Protected Areas revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Independent review backs introduction of Highly Protected Marine Areas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further assistance to help the marine development sector from MMO MoD News 0
MoD_RSS An update from Tom McCormack, CEO, Marine Management Organisation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Marine charity benefits by £61,966 from Enforcement Undertaking MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Marine Management Organisation (MMO) are administering the new £15.4 million Maritime & Fisheries Fund (MFF). MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government works with Southern Africa to support the development of a safe, secure and thriving marine economy MoD News 0