Marine Engineering apprenticeship vs Regular intake

Hey Everyone,

I'm a bit worried I wont make it onto the accelerated scheme so I'm curious what the promotion rate is like on regular intake and starting as a rating.
Are there increments of promotion or is it, like after 4 years you get a first promotion and jump £10k wage?? Doesn't seem accurate.
What pay increase is there over increment promotion if that's applicable? and How quickly can you expect smaller promotions?
I can't seem to find out much information from my careers office but that's no worries, as its not urgent but I'd like to know :)

Thanks Everyone.

WreckerL

War Hero
You'd be joining as a rating as an apprentice but promotion of non-apprentices is down to you, how much graft you put in and how keen you are to get on.

There's no time scale as such and your pay goes up in yearly increments, starting at level 1 and up to level 9, when you go to a higher rate you start at level 1 in that rate and so on and so forth.

So basically, If I stayed as a rating and didn't promote, It'd take me 9 years to get to level 9 theoretically.
I probably would do a lot of grafting to get promoted lol. I can suck up quite badly ahahaha
Is it realistic to expect a promotion within 2-3 years if I put the effort in??

WreckerL

War Hero
So basically, If I stayed as a rating and didn't promote, It'd take me 9 years to get to level 9 theoretically.
I probably would do a lot of grafting to get promoted lol. I can suck up quite badly ahahaha
Is it realistic to expect a promotion within 2-3 years if I put the effort in??
All things are possible.