Marine Engineer Submariner Interview!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ross, May 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright people,

As you can see from topic heading I have a question re the interview for a etme(sm).

At the moment im studying for my interview so im trying to find out as much as I can re what a marine engineer submariner does.

I know they carry out all the routine maintenance, make or repair components and operate the pumps, steering gear, power generation equipment but what else do they do? should I be going into more detail?

Thanks for any help.
  2. Scrub the lower level and come fwd and think they can have scran in their ovies because "it's a maintenance period". Then go to sea, or fly out fifth watch and go in to a nice 1 in 3/1 in 8 watchbill!!

Oh aye, and man the fwd systems, reactor systems, secondary systems, quite a lot of responsible stuff!!

But they are all still scruffy arsed stokers!
  3. Dont know if you have already seen this post by ninja stoker but its really useful for the interview:

Where were you born, where else have you lived, who's in your family, who lives at home with you, Your home life, What does Mum and/or Dad do for a living, what about your brothers & sisters, your Family's health, family support for your application, any trauma experienced & your reaction to it. Whether you have a partner, how many house moves you've had, how you re-settled, what you do to help at home, how you get on with your family, whether you have dependent children. What health are your family in- oes anyone depend on you to look after them, are you a carer, What do you do to help around the house, Who does your washing & ironing, have you holidayed away from your family, How mature are you?

School attendance, who chose your school, punctuality, achievements, membership of clubs & societies, sports teams, favourite subjects, least favourite, suspensions, expulsions, what did you think if you got a detention, how you got on with teachers & pupils, what results you obtained, what do you think of your results, what did your family think of our reslts, what further education you have attended if any. What consideration did you give to attend further education, How many schools attended. If you left further education arlywhy. Did you represent the school at sports.

How may jobs, why you left, how did you get your job, why did you leave, how you got on with the public, did you handle cash, what responsibilities did you have. How much do you earn, what are your commitments, can you cope on Service pay, do you know how much you get paid, any savings, debts, relevant to new entry pay. Timekeeping, disciplinary record.

Member of any sports clubs, Uniformed Youth Organisations, social life:do you understand drugs policy, what hobbies & interests do you have. Full breakdown of fitness schedule - Physical activity -what/how often/how far & how long established etc. any work related training, related skills/interests, Personal achievements. What is your opinion of drugs. What's the Armed forces policy on drugs. Swimming - how often & how far. Personal admin.

Experience of communal living, ability to adapt to change, attitude to authority, time away from home/family, any experience of responsibility, timekeeping/discipline/truancy, aspirations/motivation-what do you know about the Service & phase two Training knowledge, General Knowledge of service/training. Terms and conditions of service. How much do you earn in training, how long is your contact for, how quickly can you leave if you don't like it.

Relax. Maintain eye contact, be honest, don't slouch. Be yourself.

Good luck.

Hope that helps, sorry I can't help with your trade, good luck in the interview :)
  4. Stokers also tie non mess members in Robsinson Stretchers and p*ss on them.
  5. What boats have you been on, stokers mess 8O

All you need to know about ET(ME)(SM) is that we are, in fact, the master race. Subserviant to none and rulers of all.

That should do it :D
  6. Thanks for the help, I'll get looking into that just now.
  7. The other thing you should note and also quote freely is:

se(a)men is what comes out of stokers cocks :D
  8. I had my interview for the same job a few weeks ago. I study up on what other jobs they have around the submarine other than their main role like the join the damage control and fire fighting team, their pay and benefits starting at £13,337.

I also went onto study what you do at HMS Raleigh during the 9 weeks and that if you pass you'll either go onto the submarine school at HMS raleigh or you'll head off to HMS sulton to study about the machinery on board, how to repair and maintain components. You'll do both the submarine school aswell as HMS sultan incase i didnt make it clear.

I then went onto the diffrent classes of submarines "Ballistic" and "Fleet/SSN" theres also the "Astute" then i went into what submarines were in which like HMS Sceptre (Knows this one as my dad was on it), tireless and vanguard there is a alot more just stating a few. Also learn what equiment is on what submarine.

I then looked over Naval leaders and submarine history like who was the first sea lord (ABC) the first submarine "Holland 1", you might not think this is important but its still good to know incase you get asked or just want to look like youve actually done something for the interview.

Hope this helps just a little :)
  9. Whwt you need to be is a Fast track ET. This will get yyou on your LET course within 12 months.

Not sure if there is any info anywhere about this but am happy to explain.
  10. Cheers for that Ben, thats the kind of stuff I've been studying.

What did you mean by "what equipment is on each submarine"?

During your interview did they go into much detail of the workings of the sub such as how does PWR work? refrigeration?

Cheers again, Ross.
  11. Robbie, sorry mate Im not sure what you mean!
  12. Yeh sorry didnt word that properly my mistake haha.

Yeh what i was meaning types of missles like "spearfish", "tomahawk" and well "Trident D5" (i looked into this missile a little bit further than the rest like it has a range of over 4000 miles, it also has 12 warheads, enabling a number of different targets to be engaged). Also look into the sonar and radar what their used for and the diffrences as some people get mixed up i know i did before i started some revision.

They did ask me some questions about the reactor, what it does/ turbines etc so yeh i would look into that, because it is a massive part of the job so yeh dont just brush over it.

During the interview they also asked other Questions about what i knew about some general stuff like resistors, transistors just some common things about car engines how they work, what you use oil for, how does the clutch work, gear box basic things.

They also asked if i had any weakness which we all do, so dont say you cant think of any.

Thats only a few things, and i know its not very detailed but if you need some more info on seperate parts just post here and i'll get back to you. Never know we could end up meeting some where if you pass... which you will haha.
  13. Cheers again Ben thats perfect mate.
  14. thats not a problem mate just post if you need anything else as ive done everything now, so i'll gladly help you
  15. have any of use done much turning/milling in youre job?
  16. Way to revive a thread!

And yes, I and others have done much turning/milling.
  17. haha i was just looking through old 1s and seen this and thats what im going in as on 27th september. Was just wondering cause im time served and hoped to be doing something similar.
  18. There used to be plenty of workshop facilities at the Faslane NTD - Naval Technical Dept. - for the shore-drafted clankee to mill and turn etc. to his heart's content but I was told recently that those jobs are mostly civilianised these days.....

Perhaps someone serving at Neptune could verify for Stuarty, please?
  19. Main workshop - Yes, full of civvies, and you can't gain access to any machinery without carefully stepping through H&S hoops.

Nuc Repair workshop - Machinery shop is run by matelots, and if the person in charge knows you, access to machinery isn't usually a problem, or better still (for most), there are some good machinists in there, who will machine things for you.