Marine Engineer promotion pipeline

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by IlikeB33r, Feb 7, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I understand most of the time it would be case by case however I was wondering if anyone had a rough idea of the promotion time line for ETME rating.

2. There is no "timeline" as such, it's all down to you and how quickly you get through your taskbooks.
  3. Cheers for the reply. Yeah, I heard about a task book you're required to fill, is this filled with on the job expectations i.e fixed a certain amount of lightbulbs (I can imagine that's it, but you get what I'm saying)
  4. All depends on how good you are and how you come across. This is probably the best time to be a new ET(ME). If you are seen to be good enough and you want to push yourself then the new fast track system can get you to Petty Officer inside about 4 years. The task book situation is changing slightly to a Competence Framework which is still being finished up. If fast track ain't for you then given shortages you can still get to PO in about 8 years if you are competent.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. It's not a quota system for smally repairs, more like run up and operate a piece of machinery such as an evaporater or HP air compressor and explain how it works, in the good old days they used to be called Auxiliary Machinery Certificates (AMCs)!!

Whether it's the new or old system, it's basically the same. You have to prove your competence to operate and maintain equipment before you can move up the promotional ladder (as well as pass written and oral boards).
  6. As well as proving you're capable (or have the potential) of taking charge of others!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I think it's important to realise from the outset that promotion is not a right, nor are 'best case' timelines something on which to place one's expectations upon.

The branch has been re-invented many times since I first joined it thirty-odd years ago. There have been times of feast and famine, fastracks, jetty bulges, pinch points, you name it.

Promotion is based on several factors beyond just being good at your job. The very process of promotion involves appraisal reports which are at best, subjective - the person writing it could be an admin biff, may not adequately know you or, you may not even like each other. I've seen reports on sixteen ET(ME)'s on one ship claiming they are all above average. There was only sixteen on the ship!

The armed forces are fairly unique in that there is a defned promotional career structure, but the thing one must always remember is that no matter how deserving we may think we are, there are always others who are held in higher esteem - often by dint of the fact the reporting officer is better able to articulate your suitability than perhaps your own boss.

You only have to look at the "how long have you served" thread to realise that over 90% of matelots leave the service without any promotion, at the minimum return of service point.

The tip is simply advance yourself as quickly as possible but be aware it may not always happen as quickly as you would wish for reasons beyond your control. If you bank on about four years at each rate, you are unlikely to be unduly disappointed.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks Ninja, that was great advice.