marine engineer job duties

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by dreamkh, May 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys,

I am in the last few stages of the joining up process and i was wondering if you could give me an insight to what my duties will be on shore or when on deployment.. Cant wait to do my basic training now and really excited. I have read all the forum posts and all the info on the royal navy website i just thought i would ask for info on your real experience as a marine engineer submariner

thanks in advance

2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Your first job will be to locate handy tools. Take, for example, the "search" button on this page!

3. Unblocking toilets, fixing locker locks, stealing the dabbers heaving lines, leaning on guard rails out of rig of the day on the upperdeck etc etc

4. wal

wal Badgeman

What about the bronzzy bronzzy time?

5. He's not an effin WAFU.

Bloody demarcation lines need drawing here!!!!!!:eek:mg::grin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bronzy bronzy ???..he's signing up for sundodging..bless!

7. Ahh, then long hrs on watch keeping taking pointless readings of machinery temps ect.
    Cleaning, taking shit from higher ups, generally pointless life.
    If you can stick it out it gets better after a few years.

8. Many happy hours down the lower level, looking after the evaps and hiding between the feed tanks!

9. AAF

AAF Badgeman

Stood on the fluid couplings of V16 ASR's...looking at the 16 cylinder heads was like having a team of horses in front of you, so me and the genny/VCD watchkeeper would have Roman chariot races like Ben Hur I was always Stephen Boyd complete with whip made from rag bag, anything to pass a boring middle watch. We would also make throwing knives from the can spanners that came with every crate of ale and have contests to see how many would stick into the open desk lid....tiff just shook his head when he caught us one time.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013

10. Not impossible Spiv, not impossible!

On our arrival In San Francisco I was asked by an Elmer how come I was sunburned! We'd just come from Falklands patrol.

We had a Bank Holiday weekend on the roof and it is possible for 8 of you to sit round the radar well, in the sun!

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I always envisaged a submariner suntan to be the visual opposite of the 'panda eyes' you get through wearing sunglasses when skiing. The submariners version being a periscope eyepiece tan.

12. wal

wal Badgeman

Not to forgetting the hours of fun playing battleships over the phone with one of the remote manned machinery rooms. MEOW would get well pissed of for using up the log sheets.

13. What ever you do, dont go for a dump on the lower level (in a bag) and then put said bag in the garbo on your way off watch.

that will cause mayhem

14. Ah yes, the old 'panel v manouevering' quizzes! Hours of fun for all the family!

15. Too many G&Ts - abject apologies!

I was going to put Man Rm, but then nobody would have understood.

16. They most definitely won't!