Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Many migrants do not integrate

ukdaytona

War Hero
ukdaytona said:
All Countries should teach thier CURRENT national Language.

Any other language should be taught as an alternative in Schools/Colleges. If SHOULD NOT be down to the tax payer to fund visitors/immigrants/whoever using translators and various different forms printed in however many languages just so somebody can come here and get as much as possible for free from the state.

I include the local home grown scum bag chavs who are unable to speak their native language innit.

In Spain there are several different languages spoken - Castellano, Catalan, the languages of the Basque country and Valencia, the separate languages of the Balearic islands and the Galician tongue.
In the business I run in Catalunya I receive official forms in Castellano or Catalan depending on which authority they come from; English is as far as I'm aware not an option, nor is any other language. Even if they were I wouldn't ask.
In Catalunya our major roads are numbered in the Spanish ie Madrid manner, the Catalan manner and the EU manner (A7, C32, E15 all for the same road by way of an innacurate example) oh and I think parts of it are called the B20. Will the M1 be the E46 when this spreads to the UK?
In Catalunya the state schools teach one language a week in Castellano. However when the pupils go home this last is often the language that is spoken within the house. Most people can switch languages (they are not dialects) mid word, particularly, being Catalans, if it involves money.
The trains announce the next station in Spanish then Catalan, except the Catalan state trains which do it the other way around.
In a country comprised of umpteen different states, all with separate history and loosely controlled from Madrid it all seems to work, with the country bounding ahead economically (fingers crossed!!).
Yes it can be a headache and in business you spend hours wading through forms but it does make it interesting.
Yes, there is tension among the various communities but most of the racial tension is aimed at the immigrants from South America or the more obvious people from Africa.

Stripey_G

War Hero
ukdaytona said:
ukdaytona said:
All Countries should teach thier CURRENT national Language.

Any other language should be taught as an alternative in Schools/Colleges. If SHOULD NOT be down to the tax payer to fund visitors/immigrants/whoever using translators and various different forms printed in however many languages just so somebody can come here and get as much as possible for free from the state.

I include the local home grown scum bag chavs who are unable to speak their native language innit.

:evil4: :thumright:

Oil_Slick

War Hero
Lamri said:
Eh?
I said Scrapping ENGLISH signs in Wales mate, not the other way round :)
And anyway, whats wrong with Welsh children learning Welsh? Isn't it part of the heritage that we all want to keep?

Doh!! Well I'd certainly scrap ll those welsh signs!

Why learn Welsh? It's as pointless as teaching kids Klingon… well actually Klingon is more widely spoken than welsh. Hangng on to your 'heritage' is one thing, fabricating an instant heritage around a dead language as the welsh naturalists have done is an exercise in nationalistic stupidity.

andym

War Hero
When in Rome,do as the Romans do!I firmly believe in this Maxim.Failure to integrate will o nly result in fracture of society and ghettos.Look at Oldham!!!!

D

Deleted 7

Ah and with the EU ever expanding, how soon before we have languages from the African Continent, Japan, Korea or God Forbid AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!

The majority speak French, Portuguese, English and whatever the Belgium’s speak, plus their own tribal languages. Don’t be fooled in thinking they speak another language and not any of the main, some even have Spanish as a local dialect, or Arabic, sorry really, no adoption needed. As for their English, don’t be fooled, countries like Nigeria, Liberia, Sierra Leon, Kenya, South Africa speak fluent English (The educated that move abroad, not for Asylum but to work or study, know English very well.).

Japanese and Chinese is the most spoken language world wide, learn Japanese, work abroad and you can get paid anything from an extra £300 a month, ontop of what your Gross monthly salary is.

Australia…………….ach, I never get past my uncles daughter saying ‘Dad, when are those bl**dy pommes leaving?’ She’s only 5yrs old, also considering her family are actually Scottish

To be able to apply for your citizenship/resident permit in Cyprus, one requirement was that you had to speak and write Greek fluent, maybe that’s what the UK should start doing? I know Asylum seekers are looking for sanctuary; maybe they are the ones who could get away with entering but have to abide by learning English?

ukdaytona

War Hero
Jenny_Dabber said:
Ah and with the EU ever expanding, how soon before we have languages from the African Continent, Japan, Korea or God Forbid AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!

The majority speak French, Portuguese, English and whatever the Belgium’s speak, plus their own tribal languages. Don’t be fooled in thinking they speak another language and not any of the main, some even have Spanish as a local dialect, or Arabic, sorry really, no adoption needed. As for their English, don’t be fooled, countries like Nigeria, Liberia, Sierra Leon, Kenya, South Africa speak fluent English (The educated that move abroad, not for Asylum but to work or study, know English very well.).

Japanese and Chinese is the most spoken language world wide, learn Japanese, work abroad and you can get paid anything from an extra £300 a month, ontop of what your Gross monthly salary is.

Australia…………….ach, I never get past my uncles daughter saying ‘Dad, when are those bl**dy pommes leaving?’ She’s only 5yrs old, also considering her family are actually Scottish

To be able to apply for your citizenship/resident permit in Cyprus, one requirement was that you had to speak and write Greek fluent, maybe that’s what the UK should start doing? I know Asylum seekers are looking for sanctuary; maybe they are the ones who could get away with entering but have to abide by learning English?

JD - was joking dear. Had an ex GF who was from Nigeria, spoke excellent English, very polite she was too, hear as a student training to be a nurse. Last I heard she was living in Croydon still in training and sent me an email at the weekend ;-)

D

Deleted 7

Just putting a serious head on, that is all. Could you not see me crawling away back to my hole after :dwarf:

ukdaytona

War Hero
Jenny_Dabber said:
Just putting a serious head on, that is all. Could you not see me crawling away back to my hole after :dwarf:

Never mind the serious head, tell me more about your hole

D

Deleted 7

ukdaytona said:
Jenny_Dabber said:

Never mind the serious head, tell me more about your hole

Ask me around November 3rd 2007 :pukel:

The_Wonderer

War Hero
Oil_Slick said:
slim said:
So what is new. People generally do not mix outside of their communities unless they have to. Take the case of the majority of British Ex Pats, the first thing they do when moving abroad is join the nearest British club make new English speaking friends and eat fish & chips. No different from any other race. I have found from experience that I mix more with the local community when there are extremely small numbers of other British people around. The locals accept you more readily and the welcome given is generally warmer. If there is a large British contingent it is easy just to go to the British run bars, clubs and cafes.

Anyone else made any observations?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070529/tuk-uk-britain-migrants-fa6b408.html

I watched a TV documentary on expats in Spain. One couple who emigrated 18 years ago were rather chuffed that in that time they had never made any Spanish friends and still barely spoke a word of Spanish.

I'm emigrating when I retire but there are two provisos… I will make sure I have a good command of the language before I go avoid the expat ghettoes like the plague.

I go native when I holiday in Switzerland and Italy, from my experience, 99% of the problems the 'english' have abroad is there refusal to learn any of the language and that stops them interacting with the locals.

Being a frequent visitor to Spain, I decided to try and learn some Spanish terms that would help me, because I'm getting more frustrated trying to communicate each time I go.
Anyway, after learning them, and trying them on numerous occasions, I was always responded to with an "EH?". Even after double checking my Spanish, and trying again, I would always get an "EH?".
In the end, I would ask in English, and guess what usually happened too............................................."EH?"

The_Wonderer said:
Being a frequent visitor to Spain, I decided to try and learn some Spanish terms that would help me, because I'm getting more frustrated trying to communicate each time I go.
Anyway, after learning them, and trying them on numerous occasions, I was always responded to with an "EH?". Even after double checking my Spanish, and trying again, I would always get an "EH?".
In the end, I would ask in English, and guess what usually happened too............................................."EH?"

Are you sure you are going to Spain, as my experience both there and in most other countries is an attempt at the localligo usually produces much better reactions that the standard shouting slowly in English.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G How many attempts? Joining the Royal Navy 9
C How many hoops Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
MoD_RSS Speech: Notre Dame was a tragedy, but in too many parts of the world it's the Christian congregation that perishes: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
Captain Birdseye How many times are you allowed to apply? Joining the Royal Navy 6
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister calls on businesses to reveal how many disabled staff they employ MoD News 0
K How many beep test push-ups can you do? The Quarterdeck 1
youngmarino So many questions... Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS News story: CDE themed competition webinar: many drones make light work MoD News 0
B Aircrew Medical - How many actually pass. The Fleet Air Arm 2
B How many rating intakes to HMS Raleigh a year? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
Capn_Pugwash How many fingers in a Kitkat? Diamond Lil's 7
Ash Rich Why are so many engineers leaving? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Dredd There are many ways to protect a nation . . . Diamond Lil's 2
S How many tools are there in the Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
scouse SAR many moons ago The Fleet Air Arm 6
soleil Telegraph: "'Too Many Quitting Forces' MPs Warn" Current Affairs 40
S RN Ships Divers Course - How many dives? The Quarterdeck 17
J How many days a year does a submariner get to spend with their families ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
P Mow many remember !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Sharkey How many times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
trehorn Vauxhaull Insignia - too many toys? Motoring 7
trelawney126 How Many Days No 9's For this? The Gash Barge 2
trelawney126 How many have the Crabs got Left?l The Fleet Air Arm 5
Sherlock-Holmes How many different nationality's have you had your way with? Diamond Lil's 38
J how many frenchmen...... Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker How Many Land Ops 0
v8topcat Many a true word spoken in jest Diamond Lil's 10
stan_the_man Whores how many have you banged and where Diamond Lil's 18
2_deck_dash Hobbies. Can you have too many? Hobbies & The Great Indoors 16
P So many Newbies..Whats our chances??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Stuart_G Why so many AETs? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
A Newbie asking many newbie question! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
scouse How Many Officers in the FAA?? The Fleet Air Arm 18
G Do u get to visit many diff countrys in submarine service ? Submariners 40
W How many @ Basic Training ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
alex123 How many astutes will the navy actually get? Submariners 15