Manning in HM Submarines

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Tritech, Nov 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here's an idea, because of the manning shortages in the SM service why don't we start sending WRNs to see on boats? Surely they can do the job too, can't they? :laughing7:

Gapping probs sorted!

2. What Planet are you from Tritech???

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, I feel that if you try to encourage recruiting of our egg-carrying brethren into the Submarine Service then you might ace some resistance when you explain the lifestyle and operational commitments to Wrens, then they might not feel it is glamourous enough for them, and you're back to square one.

However, if you ask them: "Would you like to take a ride on something long, black, hard and full of seamen?" and you'll have them banging on your door in moments!

4. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Something about women, unborn babies and nuclear reactors that prevents wrens serving in boats. Did hear a dit a few years ago about one that had the chop and was challenging the mob. Maybe you could find her to PAD out the watchbill Tritech.

5. sgtpepperband

...also something to do with being unable to land a female if she becomes pregnant (!! :wink: ) whilst at sea. Surface units can land someone very quickly; SMs cannot.

6. If the main problem is the risk to women during pregnancy then why not make it compulsory for all Women wanting to join the Silent Servive to have their tubes tied? 100% fool proof contraceptive, prevents monthlys and its reversable, so they will still be able to have children in future should they choose to leave.

Personally, given the choice and the opportunity, I would have gone Submarines!

7. I beg to differ there because on one Patrol on Revenge many years ago,Dickie Hearn the MCC Chief was flown off Mid patrol with Appendicitis,although at the time people may have thought he was pregnant !!

8. sgtpepperband

Okay, Mr. Pedanto... people are not USUALLY flown off from SMs, except in serious/life-threatening situations. And then they are often transferred to a larger/capital ship that has an operating theatre available, if a land-based hospital cannot be reached.

9. Bring em on! We wont have to rely on our socks to deposit our snail trails.

:thumright:

10. why have the aussie's have woman on there subs?

11. Discussed at length Here before.

12. i think its cos there diesal boats babe---

secondly- as a killick wren- ok ex since april- i loved it at sea- especially that time of day - during the dogs or the morning when the sun is just on the horizon, sat on the AX or FX with a coffee thinking..........

I also enjoyed fresh air ( except during HTAS or defence watches) and being able to sit out on the upper deck.
    I dont know many women who choose to live in an environment where u couldn't do that.......................

I also think sanitary stuff comes into play- the dreaded tampax etc.....

and tying tubes-------??????????????? wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Tying you're falopian(sp?) tubes so nothing can get in or out. Can be reversed at any point in time that the female so wishes!

14. yeah so it wont stop the effects of radiation- similar reason as to why women cant load phalanx----------

also having tubes tied / cut does NOT stop periods ( belive me i know - have had it done!!)

15. Was this a 'deterrent patrol'? then this compromise surely means that the R boats didn't actually maintain a continuous deterrent patrol for all those years?

16. It stopped mine and other peoples I know.

As for effects of radiation ... it's going to effect men as well. They aren't immune as far as I'm aware. I think women should be given the opportunity under the condition that they must undertake some form of contraception and sign off a disclaimer that claims if they suffer any long term damage due to radiation they will not go after the Navy. I think it could honestly be easily worked out.

17. Errr, no. What probably happened was, the boat that was on patrol came off patrol, came out of area, surfaced etc then went back into area and resumed patrol. All the while, another boat took over patrol for that limited time.

:dwarf:

18. I am not an expert but I believe that a woman's eggs are all there when she is born, but a man produces new sperm all the time, therefore if the eggs are damaged then there is no hope.

19. Don't shout at me.....but from the many conversations i've been party to when this has come up over the years it seems that if women went onto subs there would be a lot of the blokes who would leave. So wouldn't really solve the problem!

20. Don't shout at me.....but from the many conversations i've been party to when this has come up over the years it seems that if women went onto subs there would be a lot of the blokes who would leave. So wouldn't really solve the problem!