Man who murdered wren gets two year cut in jail term

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by plymwebed, Apr 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A 'giant' who murdered a wren in Plymouth after abducting and attempting to rape her has won a two-year-cut in his jail term.
    Read the story at thisisplymouth
  2. I hope he is put amongst general population and has acid dripped into his backside.

That the only way he can get a shag ?

Literally drag a woman into his flat ,then attempt to rape and murder her?

Not worth the sh*t on a shoe.
  3. Makes me bloody sick this Country at times , are we stupid or what , I would quite gladly hang the Bxxxxxxd . no hesitation at all . scum ,
  4. I think we should get it right here!!

His weasel scum bag solicitor/barrister has had the sentence reduced paid by the taxpayer. Me and thee!! How those scumbags can sleep at night is beyond me.
  5. 16 years is a life sentence, though I do think he should serve extra time for deceiving the court that he suffered an epileptic fit. We do need to put his sentence in some persective however and remember that people convicted of graver offences have served much shorter sentences. If his victim had been mentally handicapped, for example, he would probably have served much shorter sentence and had he used the so-called gay panic defence claiming she was a lesbian, he would probably have got probation!
  6. When the Judge orders a life sentence, that should mean he is sat in a cell to think over the life he stole for the rest of his life.

Outrageous 16 years for taking an innocent life in such a disgusting way.

7. 16 years is in no way a life sentence , a life sentence in my book means your in there till the day you die , thats a LIFE SENTENCE , effing scumbag , hope he rots where he is . :rambo:
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Anyone who receives a custodial sentence has to have a period of remission, to act as an incentive for good behaviour. If they comply with the penal system, admit to their offence and commit themselves to rahabilitation programmes then a period of remission will be awarded.

If a person does not comply with the penal system, does not admit guilt or show remorse and fails to enter into a rehabilitation programme then the penal system has not worked, and a period of remission is removed.

However, the Governor of the prison cannot remove more remission than the maximum sentence awarded by the Court. For example if a person is awarded 4 years detention the time served is halved, with all remission earned. If the offender behaves in such a way that he does not deserve to be released at 2 years then time can be added onto his sentence, up to 4 years (i.e. the maximum period imposed by the Judge).

In the circumstances of the case mentioned this is regrettable as the offender is clearly guilty and I agree that he should serve the maximum sentence awarded. But prisoners have rights - as we all do - and anyone blaming his lawyer should consider that, if they were in the same situation, they would want their lawyer to fight their case to the best of his abilties...
  9. Total insult to the victims family and friends - when will someone get hold of the judiciary, bang a few heads together, and on behalf of the decent majoity, say "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH - JAIL THE SCUMBAGS FOR LIFE", and they serve LIFE ? Soon, I hope, but I doubt it...........
  10. sgtpepperband

As mentioned in another thread by my learned colleague, Judges do not make the laws but merely interpret them.
  11. Let's introduce some "Interpretation Courses", with an emphasis on what the public wants then.
  12. If that Wren had been my daughter then that scumbag could have got 2 years & been let out , guaranteed he would be dead the next day , willingly do time for it , fxxxxxxg scum .

13. Good behaviour!!!!!! No good behaviour no food no water just rot in a cell!! Was it not bad behaviour that puts these people behind bars in the first place!!
  14. Its a wonder he won't be asking for more time to be added onto his sentence, as this news story shows.

Jails 'too comfy' to merit escape

Prisoners were too comfortable to want to escape, Mr Travis said

Inmates are so comfortable in jail that they do not want to escape, a prison officer union leader says.

Glyn Travis of the Prison Officers Association says inmates are happy to stay inside because they can get hold of drugs, mobile phones and even sex.

He said a dealer regularly broke into a Yorkshire prison by using a ladder to enter cell windows - but no inmate used the ladder as a means of escape.

The Prison Service said the prisoners were never in a position to escape.

15. I notice that the pinko fagot wishy washy Penal Reform group are noticeable by the absence in commenting.
    My sister's ex is\was a screw at Wormwood Scrubs. He mentioned that allowing drugs to get into the prison is a way of keeping the inmates subdued\happy. Consequenlty, it is an easier job for them....
  16. if i am on your jury you are not guilty. next pond life please
  17. sgtpepperband

Tragic though this story is (and I was around at the time to know some people involved with the investigation), it is apparent that some posters are confusing emotion with justice. Separate one from the other and the facts become a lot clearer to see.

I am not defending the offender in anyway, but we have to see the whole story from all sides, and take into account what the judiciary can and cannot do in this country.

Rights apply to everyone in this country, not just those that we decree to be worthwhile...
  18. The problem is dondon is that once a person has committed ONE murder, imposing a mandatory life-for-life tarrif means that, in effect, the lives of subsequent victims go unpunished. Under the existing system a double murder attracts a more severe sentence.... unless you're a Christian terrorist from Northern Ireland, in which case life means a couple of years then being hailed as a hero! :roll:
  19. sgtpepperband

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter... religious persuasion aside. Surely you can recognise that?

(By the way, have you read "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything", by Christopher Hitchens? Picked up a copy at Bangkok Airport recently - a cracking read. Right up your street! :thumright:
  20. Law and justice, as I learned at a very young age, are not necessarily the same thing.However, the archaic system is in place for supposed generic use.
    Re: Flymo : I too heard the radio interview this morning...Prisoners don't want to leave the joint half the time. They get :
    Choice of breakfast in bed packs.
    A menu of three options
    Gym facilities
    Educational facilities
    Cheaper drugs inside than ever found outside.

Breakfast in bed. Just about says it all. Had a date with a prison officer recently...said that prisoners have no concept of how their behaviour affects anyone else.Will ignore anything except the way they want to go to get what they want and think the world owes them a favour.
    Conscription should surely sort them out...2 years up against a good ol' S.Major. :threaten: :threaten: