Man overboard

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by JonnoJonno, Jun 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening

I am a little nervous of asking a serious question in light of the mong-pox that has befallen this site today, but here goes:

Are there any records of the number of people who fall overboard annually, and of those overboard how many are lost? Sounds daft I know, but I am interested to know the scale of the problem.

2. I smell a journo :lol:
  3. Busted!
  4. None since the uplift of manpower in the STC branch!!
  5. You've said too much :D

Basically none of you know do you? :roll: :lol:
  6. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Haven't got a clue JJ, but I believe they looked into anyone lost overboard when this chap was onboard.
  7. Have you lost someone JJ, but are too scared to ask
  8. Good plan, I will have a sneak about a bit. In the meantime if anyone does know I would welcome a PM on the subject.

9. He is obviously looking into different ways of disposing bodies without alerting the authorities. Is that walk in freezer full already? :twisted:
  10. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

In my experience, there are literally hundreds per year at Collingwood alone - the mortality rate is typically high too, which resulted, in my time, in a large amount of money being donated to the RNLI. Does anyone currently serving know if the lifeboats are still used in the Fleetwork Trainers?
  11. I told the designer "One a week for 15 years, plus three at Christmas". I told him it looked small when he put the footings in. He confirmed my initial fears when he became my first guest. Fucking moben; useless.
  12. You need a man with adequate experience have you tried Josef Fritzl? He comes recommended by secret underground dungeons readers digest.
  13. Sol, you little minx :wink: Special occasion?
  14. They have moved the lifeboat station to the rubber road now in order to make them more accessible due to the high number of incidents last year.

I heard HMS Sultan are due to get a surplus lifeboat from the RNLI next year, you know the gucci self righting ones?
  15. JJ
    You could try contacting the Sea Survival Section at Phoenix / Horsea Island, they may be able to supply you with the relevant Info you require
  16. Good plan; I will make the enquiry today. Many thanks to all.

17. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

What the little lifeboat collecting boxes stored in the safes for security? Any bunting who has been through the Fleetwork Trainer up to 4 years ago at least would know of these - financial contributions by students for severe transgressions such as collisions, etc :)
  18. This bloke may be able to assist from the deep.