Man jailed over dockyard swindle - Guzz

Cheeky sods! Hanging's too good for 'em! And they'll have a cushy time in gaol; en-suite cells, TV and computer games and the like. Fair makes me angry. Still, they did get caught; what about the tripehounds who get away with it?

As I remember it, the first Secretary to the Navy Board, a certain S Pepys, worked diligently at stamping out influence and power of private suppliers in the Royal Dockyards. What short memories they have in Parliament.

Going by the 'amount' of work not carried out in Guzz dockyard throughout my time I reckon its been going on for years and probably still is. 'Galvanize yer car me bird'...fifty quid ok'!

Passed-over_Loggie said:
As I remember it, the first Secretary to the Navy Board, a certain S Pepys, worked diligently at stamping out influence and power of private suppliers in the Royal Dockyards. What short memories they have in Parliament.
Because crown servants are inherently as honest as the day is long, to a man ;)

Looks like p!ss poor contract management to me.

hnhnwilliam

Lantern Swinger
lsadirty said:
sgtpepperband said:
Also, from the same page/story as the news link above:

Judge sends witness to sober up

8O :wink:
"Lunched too well". An offence we've probably all been guilty of - but going into the witness box ?? :pukel: :pukel:
Any punishment dished out? A recent murder trial, where the accused and family were reported laughing and sniggering during the trial. I have been looking out for these been dragged to court for contempt, but I have not seen or heard anything. ???????

Don't you understand the concept of being an entrepreneur?

He is a clear example par excellence!

Anyone remember the ro-ro named in honour of Mrs T.... the Herald of Free Enterprise? Remember her contribution to business ethics?

To show how dumb the auditing authority, he was putting in claims for a period when the Dockyard was on STRIKE - now who else was taking a backhander ?
A lot of my family worked in Guzz Dockyard from the end of WW II, and it was going on before then, and probably will be long after I've gone - part of life, no matter how much we object to it. Now if you want to eliminate graft and corruption, let's start at Parliament, and the MoD - that's where the BIG TIME fiddles are.....

From todays Truth Central: ( http://defenceintranet.diiweb.r.mil...alkthroughModPoliceExposeCashScamCulprits.htm for those with)

The Ministry of Defence Police (MDP) Fraud Squad has successfully foiled a huge undercover plot which was robbing the Department of hundreds of thousands of pounds.

The swindle, which took place at Devonport Dockyard, resulted in the imprisonment of a company boss, who was found guilty of masterminding the scam. Three other people were also convicted of involvement in skimming more than £340,000 in cash from a contract for the revamp of the Trident Submarine Refit Project.

MDP detectives discovered James McLaughlan, aged 58, from Ayrshire, was using his position as head of a scaffolding company to bribe others into assisting with his scheme and to help cover up the fraud. He was sentenced to three and a half years in prison for conspiracy to defraud the MOD.

The MDP Fraud Squad is also now pursuing him and one of his co-defendants, under the Criminal Justice Act 1988, to reclaim the money that they were paid illegally.

Detective Sergeant Steve Fraser, who successfully steered the case through the courts, said:

"We are committed in our efforts to protect the MOD's assets from corruption and are prepared to follow the trail of evidence wherever it takes us.

"This investigation was very wide-ranging and complex; it was launched in December 2001 and it wasn't until December 2006 that we were able to issue court summonses for eight individuals, having pieced together the full picture of what had gone on.

"McLaughlan had bribed and manipulated a number of people to assist in his scheme and help cover up the financial trail of where the money had ended up.

"It took a lot of hard work to gather all the necessary evidence and over the course of the investigation there was a varied team of officers involved, but their level of dedication was consistent and it all paid off."

During the five year inquiry more than 700 witness statements were recorded and thousands of documents seized and reviewed, resulting in the preparation of more than 17,000 pages of evidence.

The fraud was believed to have begun not long after McLaughlan's company was employed by a contractor on the Trident Submarine Refit Project in early 2001 to supply labour and scaffolding services.

The judge ordered two defendants to be found not guilty and the jury also returned not guilty verdicts on two of the others.

This story is based on an article that first appeared in the July 2008 edition of TalkThrough, the magazine of the Ministry of Defence Police.
It looks like it was written by professional journo; such gems as "company boss", "masterminding the scam", "skimming" and "revamp of the Trident Submarine Refit Project"

Dockyard Maties children
Sittin' on the dockyard wall
Just like their fathers
Doin' bugger all

When they grow up
They'll be dockyard Maties too
Just like their fathers
With fcuk all to do

:thumright:

From the Venerable Bede - Quote "fabricated staff supposedly working on upgrading a coracle at Devonport Dockyard in Plymouth"

From Sir Francis Drake - Quote "fabricated staff supposedly working on upgrading a fireship at Devonport Dockyard in Plymouth"

From Samuel Pepys - Quote "fabricated staff supposedly working on upgrading a wooden frigate at Devonport Dockyard in Plymouth"

From Lord Nelson - Quote "fabricated staff supposedly working on upgrading a HMS Victory at Devonport Dockyard in Plymouth"

From Sir Winston Churchill First Sea Lord - Quote "fabricated staff supposedly working on upgrading a Dreadnaught at Devonport Dockyard in Plymouth"

The only thing that's new here is that it was Sweaty Socks robbing the Dockyard but since they have been robbing the English for a few hundred years now [and very ably led by Laird Golden Broone of Clakmannanshire at the moment I might add] we should get used to it :bball:

RM