Man in 'tar and feather' attack

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by ukdaytona, Aug 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A man was subjected to a so-called 'tarring and feathering' attack in south Belfast on Sunday.
    It is thought the attack was carried out by two men wearing balaclavas as a crowd including women and children looked on.

The victim was made to wear a placard reading 'I'm a drug dealing scum bag'.

Colin Halliday of the UPRG, the political wing of the UDA, speaking in the Belfast Telegraph, described the incident as "a community reaction".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6966493.stm

Is this how public should re-act ???

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

No. Never again. No member of the public has the right to act as a vigilante. Have we not learned our lesson?!

3. We all feel like doing it at times, and I am sure more than a few of us has taken the law into our own hands at some time or other. but it is a fine line to be a vigilante.

4. Though it is against the law to act as a vigilante, there would be no need for such actions if :
    a. The police forces were carrying out their job effectively
    b. The law courts were enforcing the law effectively.

However I believe that too many in society have lost faith in the above.
    I wonder how effective this summary justice will be on this individual?
    The IRA had their own methods of dealing with joy riders during the conflict which seemed to work rather well.

5. This is mild in comparison with the treatment of drug dealers / carriers in other countries but in many places in a number of jurisdictions drug dealing goes on with little to fear from authorities and often the punishment is not too severe and unlikely to act as a deterent to others . It seems the law / courts do little to support police when they act so they have no incentive to take action in many cases . Drug laws are reduced too as control is now considered futile . With a lack of positive action by the law makers and weak sentencing little wonder the public re-acts in this way . At least in Oz if convicted in association with drugs everything is forfeited , cash and property , in addition to a custodial sentence . It is not surprising that the ' people ' respond this way out of frustration and anger . Maybe the emergence of vigilantes will at least get some action from those in charge .

6. Is the drug dealing scum part of the big boys band or just a street corner prat.

7. I suspect that it was not in fact a public reaction at all rather the guy had been trying to muscle in on a patch run by one of the paramilitaries and it was their way of dealing with competition.

8. What he said.

9. ["sgtpepperband"] Wrote "No. Never again. No member of the public has the right to act as a vigilante. Have we not learned our lesson?!"[/quote]

SLIM Wrote. Though it is against the law to act as a vigilante, there would be no need for such actions if :
    a. The police forces were carrying out their job effectively
    b. The law courts were enforcing the law effectively

However I believe that too many in society have lost faith in the above.
    I wonder how effective this summary justice will be on this individual?
    The IRA had their own methods of dealing with joy riders during the conflict which seemed to work rather well
    .[/quote]

Sorry but have to agree with the Sgt. on this one. The law is there to be upheld by the police, not by some self appointed Vigilante group. Which will breed more contempt for the law!!!

Let The POLICE uphold the queens peace, not some Pr!ck in a balaclava.

The Joy riding did not STOP it still went on, but some AH got him rocks off by inflicting pain on some miss begotten individual.

10. Pinch
    Agree with you 100%. Please now inform the police that the public would like them to start enforcing the laws to lawbreakers other than motorists.

11. Touche Mon Brave

12. Then we would really know society had finally broken down.

We have to back the police up and also get involved by reporting crimes etc and not just standing by and saying its got nothing to do with me.
    Its difficult getting involved on a face to face basis with these scum bags but by reporting them or their actions they will get their just desserts in the end.

13. [​IMG]

er, I wonder if the good lady is referring to the tar and feathering ……or the drug dealing…..it must be the drug dealing surely ..after all no one has ever died a sad and lingering death after being tarred and feathered…..

And before you all jump on your high horses….Please just remember the people of NI have seen enough appeasement and official meddling from the Blair administration to realize they have to put their trust in themselves…..

….

14. On the other hand his treatment was probably not carried out by concerned citizens but by paramilitaries whose business he was poaching. He was lucky it appears the usually execute competitors.

15. Vigilantism undermines the rule of law and must always be severely punished.

That said, I can sympathise with what you are saying. It would help if police canteen lawyers and others of their type in Whitehall, spent less time speculating and more time examining both precident, judges' own statements on the topic and learning about the Pepper-Hart case* and the significance of Hansard Reports to clearing up the supposed legal lacunæ of the Human Rights Act 1988 c42. Ministers and Whitehall already frequently selectivly interpret the HRA anyway by frequently ignoring the repeated injunction in the legislation that require the rights of A not to undermine the rights of B, or visa versa. The Single Equalities Bill is unlikely to clear up this problem.

*Pepper v Hart [1993] AC 593

16. Uncle ALBERT wrote "Please just remember the people of NI have seen enough appeasement and official meddling from the Blair administration to realize they have to put their trust in themselves….."

Time for a decision, and it had to be pushed in from the side otherwise the total clusterfeck that was NI for so many years would still be in place. Some folk have to be led, and others have to follow.

17. That isn`t how it was reported Peter, that is your assumption……read the article….

18. Was not going to post in this thread, as i both agree and disagree with what has happened. No in a civilised society tarring and feathering should not happen, but when the individual has been reported to the police and no action seems to have been taken, what would you do, if it was your children who might be introduced to drugs because this piece of excrement had been allowed to continue peddling his crap due to overwork/apathy of the local plod.

The courts of this country are becoming a joke, where a driver can go 5 or 10 miles over the speed limit in good conditions on a clear road (and no it was not me) gets a more severe penalty than a scrote who has been caught in possession of drugs, or the chav who has stolen a car and proceeded to drive at much greater speeds in a far more dangerous manner.

19. It would be a bit of a ****** to you vigilante brigade if the said individual wasn`t picked up by the police because he was an undercover copper.

20. RR, just a thought. If the Police were on top of the job, they wouldn't need to go undercover. In Hampshire, the Constabulary will NOT move "travellers" on when they invade private property. However, their counterparts in Surrey act very swiftly to shift them if they look like stopping. And where do they move to? Yep, Hampshire. So if all Coppers sang from the same song book, the law abiding citizen would have more faith in them.